Another post about tyres

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Barnett, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Im looking for some info regarding tyres im looking at getting for this years track days/some road (maybe).

I used the Nankang NS2-R last year at the ring and loved them however a couple of guys I was with were using the R888r's which seemed to perform a whole lot better. (I know the R888r is a better tyre but didn't realise to the extant that they were)

So as its a new year and more track days to be had im looking for something new!

I was originally looking at getting the Nankang AR1's as they are the more track day focused tyre however after looking around a bit online there is limited reviews and comparisons with this tyre.

I have also been looking at the cars original tyres, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 which seems to be like a safe bet?

So my question is this would you take a semi slick tyre over the Michelin PS Cup 2's or are the Cup2's a better all round tyre?

2. Hi
    I used Federal 595 RSr's for a long time now, used them on track and on the road and for how much they are, they are great all rounders, i have tried the NS2rs and R888's but i like the 595's.

RSPhil likes this.
  3. Yes they are great value for money! One of the guys I go to the ring with uses these and loves and tbh being in the car with him they seem to hold up very well, but would you say these are an improvement? I managed an 8:40 on the NS2rs when they started to give a little in the bends (that was part worn however)

4. I have three part worn and a new set of 595's to use, i also have a set of R888's to use this year :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

8.40 not bad, managed 8.38 in a standard R26r i hired from RSR in 2015, i don't go for time chasing, just going for fun and a clear ish track

5. Ye as I say the tyres had to be changed when i got back by that point. They were just about legal aha. They have brought out the RS-RR now as well which look like a good tyre to buy? again would you still take these over the Cup2's?

6. I have never driven a car with cup 2's on , well as far as i know anyway, i have Perelli P zero's on my Mercedes and they are never going on another car of mine, i have Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 3's on my Megane at the moment i use them for wet days and driving to and from track, they are fantastic, might give the ps4s's a go sometime, but other than that i'm happy with what i'm using.

7. Fair enough would have guessed the Cup 2's would be the choice when most performance cars come with them... ill take a look into the federals anyway as they could be one to try this year. Thanks for the help :blush:

8. Ha ha ha the choice is yours, i can only tell you what i think and tried, i was told that AD08r's were the best track tyre had tried tem at Anglesey and half way through the day changed them back to the 595's as they were far better :sunglasses:

9. Tbh my mate is saying getting the federals as well so think that’s it then

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

AR1s will piss over every other tyre mentioned in here on track, but if its your only set of wheels I'd probably look at the AD08Rs, probably the best do all and arrive and Drive tyre. Plenty guys running them and putting in serious laptimes round the ring, granted timing is bad [emoji6]

11. I thought as much with the AR1s I was looking at using them for track then taking them off again and using my current tyres which are ns2-r during the summer months

12. Also Jamie I saw in another post your running 17” wheels? Why did you drop a size or two and would you recommend doing this? I’m currently on 18s. Finally on the 17s what size tyres are you running

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Depends, wheels are bit lighter and tyres slightly cheaper. I only went 17 as my first set was a good price really. Granted I have 3 sets of 17s now [emoji23]

Run a 255/225 staggered setup on track

14. Kinda why I went to 18 lol! Tyres for 19” are silly money... so are you running a wider front rim then I guess? Sorry bit of a noob when it comes to wheel sizes/tyre size

15. 888's and cup 2's are phenomenal tyres but are pretty much lethal in the wet so if you drive the car daily and it's your only set of tyres I'd avoid them

I used 595's on most of my old track cars, nearly 888 grip levels but double the tread depth, last much longer, and really not too bad on the road even in wet conditions.

I've no experience with AR1's but I hear they are a lot like 888's - as in great grip but ditch finders in the wet.

16. It’s seems to be the 595s are favourable due to cost and overall durability. 888s from my experience have been very good however they last no longer than a couple sessions on track!

As mention the tyres will likely come off between track days so not to worried about road use however i would like them to last more than a few laps

I’ve just put in an order for the 595RS-RR as these seem like a more track focused tyre so look forward to testing these out

17. Up against my mate on R888's - the 595's were I'd say 95% as good, but the full 7mm of tread lasted 2-3x as long
    They're a bargain for the grip they offer, I'm sure you'll enjoy them :smile:

18. Glad to hear. Sounds like I’ve made a good decision then thanks for the advise mate