250 270bhp - Standard or Mapped?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by BillS, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Had my car rolling road dyno'ed today as it seemed pretty quick for a standard car - and it was putting out 270bhp at the crank. I've heard rumours of standard RS250's putting more power out as standard - is this a myth? - could mine be standard and putting out 270?

2. Where was it dynoed?

3. Regency Autos in Cambridge. They seem to know what they are doing,have a history of racing and setting up race cars etc

4. You’ll never know until you put it on an engine dyno. This is why a peak power figure guessed at the crank is one of the more useless measures for most things. What’s the shape of the power curve? What’s the shape of the torque curve? (What’s the actual wheel power which is what is being measured?)

This will give far greater information on if it’s been mapped or standard or how quick a car might be for a specified application.

Although, you may actually have one with more power than standard if you’re lucky. They’re all different.

timbo likes this.
  5. Would be a bit of a gash map wouldn't it.....

6. My old RS250 put out 274 on RS tunings rollers standard, and 312 mapped, id say yours is deffo not mapped mate

7. If there putting out higher numbers, then a 265 and 275 must be putting out slightly higher. Like dook said it’s means nothing, it’s how it drives on the road

8. My RS265 put out 281 as standard. Had I know I wouldn't have bothered with a remap!

9. My 265 supposed to have 261 bhp put out 270 bhp with 280lb ft on rolling road standard. Wouldn’t surprise me if all 250,265 and 275s are the same and the numbers just change for marketing reasons to sell cars. Anyone know if there is any truth to this

10. Sorry for the delay - here's the map. I agree the power at the wheel's is important but for comparison with the standard quoted figure, you need calculated power at the crank. At the end of the day, the car goes like stink, esp at the top end ! Be interesting to know how the curves compare to other people have had. PS The lower one is with the aircon on - loses approx 7bhp.

Attached Files:

11. Looking at the torque I would says it’s standard.

12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Aircon should disengage on WOT

13. Hi there, how much boost pressure do you guys have on a standard rs250 map? My RS monitor shows above 1300mbar when full throttle. I dont know if any remap was done to my car... Car feels more than 250hp.

14. Mish View, timbo and ianplymouth like this.
  15. Ren225ultrablue likes this.
  16. DOOOOK and timbo like this.
  17. Yeah i'd say standard.

My 250 kicked out 266 standard and 275torq, then mapped at 318 and 350torq to save the clutch :-)