225 Write ups on changing mounts and bushes ?.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by pervertedmonk, Jan 10, 2015.

1. What with the introduction of the new powerflex bushes. is there a write up anywhere on how to change the rear beam bushes and arb bushes ?

im also keen to change the lower engine and gearbox mounts and like to find any write ups on them too if possible. As i see powerflex do the replacement of the lower mount. i have changed the upper engine mount and like to have a bash at the others...

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

If the Lower gearbox mount is the dogbone mount i would imagine it is very similar to the Mk3 that i done a few weeks back, 2 bolts and lever the engine/box forward so the old one drops out.

They do need torqued pretty high though, 280NM IIRC so advisable to do on proper ramps

3. I think there's some how to guides on the Clio 197.net forum. Essentially it'll be the same as they are the bushes that were developed on the Clio but due to cross platform part sharing fit the Megane.

Powerflex are planning development of suspension bushes and engine mounts in the future.

Powerflex

4. Copied from Clio197.net :smile:

This is a guide on how to insert the Powerflex Lower Engine Mounts

What You'll Need:
    Powerflex Lower Engine Mount Inserts (Obviously)
    Sachet of Powerflex Copper Slip (Or any Copperslip)
    Ratchet
    21mm Socket
    18mm Socket
    10mm Socket
    Something to get the front of the car up about 3"

[​IMG]
    The Powerflex Inserts

As standard you cant get far enough under the car to see the engine mount let alone work on it.
    So you need to get the car up at the front about 3". I used some blocks of wood as shown below. This gave me amble room to see/work on the required area.

[​IMG]

Next thing is remove the plastic sump guard. People have said that you don't need to, but as it is only 5 bolts and two locating pop clips its worth doing as you have more room to work/see what your doing.
    There are 3 bolts along the front and one one each of the rear corners. It then just pops out with a little force. See images below for bolt locations:

[​IMG]

Now this is off and out the way you will be able to see the existing mount at the back of the engine. There are two bolts that hold this in place, one at either end. See picture below.
    Remove A first then B. A is the one to the Engine and B is to the chassis

[​IMG]

With a little bit of a wiggle the mount will now become free and you can remove it.

Once the mount is out it is fairly straight forward how the inserts go. See images below:

[​IMG]
    Raw Mount

[​IMG]
    With Insert

[​IMG]
    With both inserts

Now these are pushed in as far as the can go you need to apply Copperslip to both the large flat yellow areas. This will help it slip back into position on the car as it is fairly tight.

Wiggle the mount back into position.
    Then proceed to line up and insert Bolt B. (See previous picture)
    Once this is in and nicked up tight continue insert Bolt A (See previous picture)

I did both bolts up to 105 Nm

Its should now look like this:
    [​IMG]

All you need to do now is put the plastic sump guard back on and your done. It took me about 20 mins at a leisurely pace.

5. And this is why i joined the forum. cheers fella.

6. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

I'm fitting the gearbox mount this coming weekend and the rear bushes as soon as I can get to BTM. Will do a write up and sticky the 197.net one onto here over next few days.

7. Thats great. im hoping the rear bushes can be done without too much hassle. ie blow torch, press,like changing the the bushes on a mk4 cortina....the good old days..

8. Blow torch? Whats that for? Wont that melt it?

9. Yep ... To make getting the old ones out easier