Worth going from r26 to 250 cup?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by danmancity, Jan 22, 2014.

1. First post here just looking for a few opinions :-)

I've been a bit of a Renault but for the last 3 years having had 1 normal Renault and 4 renaultsports

I've had an r26 for the last 6 months but I've just bought my second clio 182 to have a a short termer while I decide what I really want next

I really loved the r26 and if I hadn't had a 182 before I'm sure I'd still have it now but I just wanted that small clickable feeling for a bit again

But basically I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying a 250 cup after having owned an r26 or am I going to have to try a different manufacturer next to feel more of a difference

All I'm worried about is it's going to be like when I went from a 182 to a 200 and the only differences were it 'felt' slower and used more fuel because of the weight difference and the way New hot hatches are going

Thanks in advance

2. Get a drive in one!

The 250 is a better car, I went from an r26 to a 250FF+cup and it's much better to be in. But, not a massive amount different to drive. For me the looks of the car and the look/comfort of the better recaro's is worth it. Full leather is cool but if you want to feel the difference, get one with the optional renaultsport monitor and set it to extreme.

The real drawback and what stopped me changing for so long was the price difference between them. They're coming down now though, so shop smart and it's a great car..

3. The 250 may "feel" slower because the cabin is so well insulated from what is going on around you, this is the case with all modern cars though due to saftey regs meaning smaller windows and the likes.

You have to remember that the R26 is essentially a 225 that was sold from 2004. Its a 10yr old design. The 250 has been on sale since 2010 so its a much more modern design. This is one of the reason why you should change as the car feels modern and better put together and the cabin reflects that.

4. I think you're both right in what you say

The only reason I didn't buy the 250 was because if the price last year so now when they drop again because if the new facelift they should be very good value for money

The inside of the r26 is what annoyed me the most coming from the clio 200. The seats are lovely but everything else just squeaks the only time you don't notice it is when you're being a hooligan and I don't do that to and from work so 90% of the time it was very frustrating

Hopefully it'll feel like a 200 but with the grunt that that car was missing cos it was a nice place to be

I think I need to book a test drive :-P

Are the 250 and 265 really as different as the motoring press would have you believe?

5. Never been in any of the other meganes etc, as this is my first renault (250) but im impressed with it. For me its a perfect all rounder. Granted its not the cup version so i have the creature comforts, but as it stands standard, its comfortable at high speeds and normal driving, nice to cruise in and it handles really well. I can't say anything about on track as thats my next stop, but it certainly is a really good car and has surprised some of my mates who didn't think it would be any good

6. And this is probably a good time to add that I'm only 20 and the insurance is much nicer on the 250 :smile: lol

7. Not really much difference between the 250 and 265, just minor changes like option of better tyres/wheels, different power in different modes, larger drl and they stop on with the lights, and gloss black parts on the interior.

8. Also from a Renault point of view the "Cup" is actually very generous with its spec. Coming from a Clio 200 Cup the Meg 250 Cup feels like a "Full Fat" model in comparison lol, Aircon as standard!? *gasp*

Worth baring in mind that the 265 comes with Stop/Start and the 250 doesn't. Depending on what you like this is either a good or bad thing.

9. I never drive on the motorways, out of interest would a 265 have better mpg over a 250? Or is it just a gimmic being in a sport hatch..

10. Its completely situational on your journey. Stopping at a set of traffic lights with your engine off will always be more economical than having it idle for 2mins but enough to make a noticeable difference? who knows.

I doubt there is anyone who has done the same journey back to back with a stop/start and non stop/start 265.

11. Driving style will make much more of a difference! Under lab conditions, stop start will be better which is better for the company to report. I'm not convinced, surely you need a better alternator/battery to deal with constant stop starts, or you reduce the life of the items you have? Aren't batteries a nightmare environmentally? So the smidge of fuel saved will offset the need for more frequent battery changes??

12. i had a clio4 for a few monthe towards the back end of last year 0.9cc turbo 3 pot stop start and tbh going to scotland and back it only managed 39mpg.that was setting the cruise control at 70mph to say i wasnt impressed was and undersatement!

13. Some would argue cruise control is crap for mpg.. e.g accelerating up hills, where instead you'd carry the speed over before :smile:. Thats another discussion though.