Wobble over small bumps

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by sen, Mar 13, 2017.

1. sen

sen

Not sure if I'm hearing things or not but when I drive over crappy roads, cobbles, general small bumps I can hear a sort of wobbling on the drivers side at the front.

Car is 2006 megane 225.

I know when the engine is started and the car sets off there's the wobble at the front end but this happens during driving. It sounds like something could be loose somewhere. Also when I change from 1st to 2nd and lift clutch up I get a bit of a knock so I'm thinking could it be an engine mount maybe or is it more suspension related?

I have cooksport springs on the car that are less than 2 years old so I'm guessing it's not that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. NJH

NJH

Really need to get the car in the air and inspect hubs and suspension joints. Mine does most of the same things but is waiting to have both front steering arms replaced (as soon as I get my other DD back). In my case grabbing the front tyres is a slight side to side knock which seems to be located purely in give in the steering arm, grabbing the tyres top and bottom it all feels rock solid.

I have gone down this path of worry on a car before btw then checked the wheel nuts to find some where not torqued up properly, that and low tyre pressures are the obvious first things to knock out.

sen likes this.
  3. sen

sen

Had car in for MOT yesterday and got an advisory "play in steering rack inner joint(s) (slightly).

Took car to my usual garage and he said it could be that causing it but when I mentioned a sort of knock, like the engine bumping against something when I change from 1st to 2nd he said it could be a gearbox mount?
    Gonna get car in when I'm next in nights so he can have it for the day.
    Also have a side light bulb out which means bumper off, doesn't it?

4. NJH

NJH

For what it is worth I replaced all 4 mounts but still have a slight knock when pulling away, and of course already know that my steering arms (your inner joints) need replacing. My mechanic tells me that this is incredibly common on RS Meganes. All you can do really is fix the things you know are wrong then take it from there.

sen likes this.