Sponsored By:  

Will i regret my decision?

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Ryan herbert, Mar 6, 2018.

1. So, being pestered by a couple of mates to do a track day, a couple of things bugging me are; when i bought my meg rs250 i made a boo boo and didnt buy a cup specced one, will it still be capable on track or is it going to be a bit shit? Also do people recommend getting insurance for my first track day? Also if i was to go ahead and book, any tips and advice is appreciated, cheers

2. Push comes to shove you can fit the LSD into the sport i believe.

3. Yeah i believe you can but then at the cost of that option, then accounting for the suspension set up as well i may as well sell up and buy a cup haha

4. yeah cup is defo the way forward really IMO.
    But you could easily put some coilovers and LSD on and make it more than capable.

5. If you've never done a track day in it, I'm sure you will have fun regardless. It's still a very capable car so just enjoy yourself in my view.

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

This.

Although missing the key parts that make them what they are you will still have a great time in it. Too many people think you have to chuck loads of mods at a car to do trackdays, which is nonsense.

I've done days in boggo MX5s on budget tyres and brakes and had just as much, if not more fun than in my Megane

7. Will be absolutely fine. Yes the cup pack will be an improvement but at the moment you do even know your base point.
    If you do it and enjoy it and then want to do it more regularly and then want to improve your lap times then a cup or more track orientated mods will be worth investing in.

First thing to invest in though would be tuition.

Ryan herbert likes this.
  8. Agree, don’t go down the mods route until you have done a few and had expert training. I did about 12 track days in standard set-up and had a ball. Talk to guys who do lists of track days and they will tell you the mods can end up costing more than an upgrade to a better car and you don’t get your money back on sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. So true. I have mates that do track days in really shonky cars that are worth a few hundred quid and they have a right laugh.

10. As above, just get out there, your car is still massively more capable than you are as a driver (no offence, that applies to most of us!).

Tuition is a good idea and often quite low cost too. Its essentially just a way to show you the best way around the track, when to brake, etc.

autronix likes this.
  11. Show off! I borrowed a guy's track prepped Rover 100 and it was so much more fun than anything I have ever driven before it almost ruined me! Bear in mind I've had some quite nice machinery before inc an Elise/Evora!

12. If you haven't got a cup spec, not a lot you can do about it. Take it and try it, if it hooks you sell and buy a better spec. Main thing is enjoy it,build up your speed and confidence,and don't bin it. Try to get decent rubber on at least.Tuition is the best money you can spend and worth more than most mods'.
    I spend a fortune ('000's) on tuition, on 4 circuits , then more onto races. It's worth it ,finance permitting. If not,key points,
    slower in,faster out, brake in a straight line,find apex,balanced throttle.
    You won't be Verstappen on your first lap ( if ever lol)
    Good luck

13. The only real difference between the cup and non cup is the diff.
    I have the cup suspension/roll bar/brakes fitted on my non cup spec’d car and can hardly tell the difference.

Your car will be just as capable as any other capable hatch without a diff!
    Realistically the diff probably makes you a few seconds faster a lap if that.

Good tyres/brakes and some tuition are more important.

14. ditto all above, just get out there and enjoy it and keep on track, you will have a great time