Where are the R26Rs for sale and what about this one at Mayfair Prestige?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by jimmyslr, Nov 8, 2014.

1. I've got the bug for a R26R but there seem very few around. Is it a time of year thing or are they selling under the radar screen? I'm looking at pistonheads, this forum, autotrader etc. Black, white or one of the rare colours are all good, but I'm not a grey car guy. Is there anything I'm missing?

I saw this one listed at Mayfair Prestige.... http://www.mayfairprestigeuk.co.uk/used-cars/renault-megane-city-of-westminster-201410258493096

The advert seems worded in a rather non-expert way and looks like a pull from some R26 words. It's priced like a R26R and looks like one, albeit I recognise that's a lot of miles for one of these and I assume there's no Ti exhaust. I'm new to this game so if any experts can tell me what's obviously good/bad/unoriginal about that car then please do.

Thanks for any hints and tips

James

2. Definitely looks like an .R I believe this is the one Sterling autos had for sale for a few months and couldn't get rid of, albeit much more reasonably priced now.

Shame it's missing the cage though...

3. I've got a white one, in my opinion cage and Ti are a must, good luck in finding one, think there are only 80 on uk roads

4. It's a rubbish advert

5. In principle, I agree about the cage and the Ti exhaust. They are definitely going to help with long term value and ease of resale. I don't need a garage queen though as my plan is to do a few track days in it, use it as a spare car at the weekend of I need to drive somewhere for work, often to leave it outside in the nasty weather etc etc. Not much point in me getting a super low mileage car that's pristine.

6. You not thought of an R26 then, strip it with different seats and a harness

7. Save yourself a fortune and get a faster better car with an R26 and go Stage 1 or 2. It will save you money, is faster than an R26R and you can reach to reach for a parking ticket without the silly harness.....Oh and there's plenty of good examples around!!
    I looked and saw...... and got an R26!
    R26Man

8. It does take balls to buy an R though their for the select few that don't want to be ordinary and sensible

9. I don't want to open a can of worms here and the subject of r26 vs r26r seems to get quite emotive! I've thought about it a little and I think I'll be happier with the r26r being the "silliest" one to come off the production line in that spec. I like the rarity and novelty. Also, I've owned all sorts of things, including modded cars, and I know that shifting modded cars can be a challenge. I've also had fun with modded engines, aftermarket suspension etc and it's been my experience that getting it all to work in synch beautifully can be tricky. The .R seems to be regarded as working well straight out of the box. I also suspect that the cost of ownership will be similar; whilst the .R is pricier, I doubt depreciation will be much different over a few years vs the R26.

As the newbie please don't shoot me down in flames! All just IMHO and based on my experiences of other, non-Renault, cars.

10. R26R all day long, you can do a few choice mods and it will be as quick as most stripped out r26, plus it will be worth more than tuppence when you want to move on. Do your homework, there is a black .R out there that has had a big front end accident.

11. Overpricced, they're worth about 14k tops

12. That one is no cage or ti

13. Still worth more than most 250s

14. good luck getting a good one for 14K

15. Thing is if someone wants one and there are only 3 for sale and all are around 16-18k then that's what your paying, so you can say its worth what you want but youve not got much choice if you want it

16. I love these people that slag off the R. :rolleyes:

Yeah you you can buy an R26 and mod it but you'll never get your money back. I've had 2 years of fun out of mine and I could sell it tomorrow for more than what I paid for it. There aren't many cars out there you can say that about nowadays.
    If you can afford an R and can live with the impracticality of it than do it. The R26 is a great car but the R is worth the extra in my opinion. I owned an R26 before the R as have quite a few owners and I don't know any of them that have said they think they've wasted their money.

17. Only people who say their not worth money are the ones that don't want one or can't afford one rob

18. There are two things a R26R is.

Rare.

Getting Rarer.

Hence people want them and residuals stay high.

If you have the cash buy one. Its probably quite a sound investment car wise.

19. Another one that can't afford one.

20. How is it a "miles better track car" by the time you've put a cage in and stripped it out you've just about made it as light as an R and worth feck all.
    As Steve says.

21. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Guys the remark which I've now deleted, was made by a well known site troll that leads a life so sad that he signs up under various accounts daily and tries to give us grief. It's comical.

22. The thing with any car is it's worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it.. seams the R is a sound investment and in theory they should only appreciate! But and its a big but.. if someone pays 60k for a truly out of the box example. It doesn't mean ALL r26r's are worth anything near that... good thing with the R appreciating is that R26's should also start to hold their values a bit better :smile:

An example is a R34 Skyline I saw with 2000 miles on the clock for £80k... the only kind of person who would pay that would be to wrap it up in cotton wool and hope it goes up more... but then you could buy an old porsche or ferrari f355 for that sort of money which are going up... or a Nissan GTR! Fact is in my eyes that car is legendary and worth it... would I buy it at that... no way!

I'd love to own an R.. but financially wouldn't see fit to put that cash in to a track car.. my talent would more than likely run out, smash the thing to pieces along with my investment... lol

...but if I had the sort of money to not worry (or care) about the consequences then yeah... all day long I'd pay 20k for one! In lunar grey of course lol

23. thought as much, bit sad, but there are a few around.

24. the reason a car becomes a good car is the way they drive sound etc, couldn't imagine anything worse than buying a great car and then it just being moth balled and never driven to experience why it has become a legend

25. If you do get an R, then the ti is a must. Just my opinion but the sound is just amazing and they are a very desirable extra come resale time.

26. As Simon said I think it's a must to get cage and ti. It's sounds good and they r the ones people want

27. I tend to agree and if there were some around I'd go and have a look! I expect as we approach winter the market becomes a little softer and sellers are inclined to hold on until spring. I'm happy to be proved wrong on that count though.

28. jimmyslr, I'm pretty sure that R for sale has a Ti exhaust, its hard to see in the pictures but it doesn't look like a standard exhaust to me.

29. The cage can be bought from Renault for £1,400 iirc

30. Sound about right, although if I were the OP I wouldn't bother. That 1.4k could be spent on some decent tyres and brakes, plus the standard cages are more for show, especially the pants bolts they bolt them together with :tongueout:

31. Mate of mine rolled his R , cage saved his life

32. Obviously not as good as a built/weld in one but I'm not getting into that, just saying if he wanted one that's the price

33. Ha yeah I agree, didn't really word that very well, that's sort of what I was trying to say about the standard Renault cage vs weld in ones. Your mate rolled an R? Couldn't have been a pretty sight! Heard of a few that have been written off now.

34. He certainly did, nimbus grey one, he did put pictures on here or meganesport

35. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I would be interested in seeing how the Mk2 RS Megane copes without a cage in that situation and whether the shell is actually quite strong or not.

36. Not sure what site the pics are on

37. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

didn't he just flop it into a tree?

38. Anyone seen the one on pistonheads today for £22k?

39. For a "common" black one too. Imagine what our rare ones are worth :wink: