250 What pads & fluid to go for?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Dazzler32, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Right guys I want to upgrade my pads and fluid.

The major of my driving is commuting but I want better performance when I do want to enjoy all of the performance.

I was thinking DS2500 and motul rbf600 would be my best bet.

Any other options?

Camskill have money off DS2500 just now so hoping to act fairly quickly.

Cheers Daryl

2. Sorry mate just finished work, but i will text you back when i get a minute :smile:

i would say motul rbf600 fluid, but not sure on pads...
    opie oils have a 20% off thing at the moment, so might be worth ordering the fluid from them.

3. that set is fine, the pads are all you will need unless your a demon on track.

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I would go with Yellowstuff over DS2500's, Work better on the roads and have better pedal feel, Plus they don't leave deposits on your discs.

5. Though ebc pads have a tendency to depart from the backing plate.....

6. Think it was just a bad batch of red stuff pads that did that was it? Haven't heard it happen in a while? DS2500 are decent enough but I couldn't justify the extra expense over the OEM pads. Plus they are hellish for dust.

7. Had it happen to a friend maybe 4 months ago, parked up and someone spotted a pad vying for freedom resting on the bell of the disk. I'm sure people must have ok experiences with EBC but that's put me off buying anything of their pads.

Had heard of them doing that before hand but thought it must have been a few one offs, a bad batch as you say but it seems not.

8. Where's the best place to buy yellow stuff?

9. I got them from here ebcbrakeshop.co.uk

[TABLE="width: 600"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Renault Megane Coupe 2.0 Turbo (250) (2009>) EBC-Brakes Front Yellowstuff Pads DP41908R[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

10. Yeah I think even hearing one set if pads doing this is enough to make anyone doubt their pads. I find the OEM ones do a great job, I'd spend my money on some braided lines.......

11. I want something better than standard but I don't want to have to be super cautious till there hot.

I've only ever just ran OEM pads so I've no first hand experience.

Yellow stuff is priced nicely between OEM and DS2500 though.

Dust doesn't bother me as I don't notice it on the black alloys :smile:

12. When is it that you feel the standard ones aren't good enough?

13. I had braided lines,RBF600 and carbotec xp8, brakes were brilliant road or track, good bite from cold, even better when hot.

14. This is my point exactly, I've had a 200 and now the 265 and I've never had a spongy pedal or brake fade etc. the OEM pads are exceptional in my eyes, not to mention they did 32k miles, 2 knockhill track days and 2 trips the ring and still had 25% meat left on them before I sold it.

15. I'm fairly sure they need changed as they make a nasty metallic noise when I just start driving and when pushing on I have to stamp on the pedal to really scrub off speed.

I might just go for new OEM pads and new fluid see how that feels then if I'm not happy through £150 at yellow stuff but that could just be a pain in the back side.

16. It's a hard decision to make because you know what you've got already and changing/upgrading is always a gamble in case you don't like it.

17. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

LOL, Stock pads are SHITE for track work!

Personally i would just go for the Yellows, I run them on the rear and have ran them in the past on other cars with zero issues at all.

18. So you run yellow all round?

19. I don't intend on tracking my car, I don't have the talent as a bush/fence will tell you.

I only intend on doing the front as the rear disc and pads were replaced when I bought the car.

I am more after OEM vs ....? Comparison

20. Well I've just bought some yellows for the front, and I think the OEM pads are ok, but only ok.....

No where near as good as the Clio - that thing stopped like a race car on track. I don't have the same confidence under braking with the 250, so by the end of next week I'll be able to compare.

21. The meg definitely lacks bite as standard, but I found the standard setup copes much better with heat than the Clio.
    I got massive fade on the Clio into Knickerbrook at Oulton...... Not fun.....

Going to try some different pads next as mine are nearly done, possible some Endless or CL pads just to try something other than ferodos.

22. Yeh my standard Clio setup lasted 3 laps of Bedford! One to warm up, two hot laps and then pit! But I was braking at 80m for the hairpin or something mental like that!!!

23. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'm on OEM pads just now over the winter as the Pagid pads i run don't like the cold and wet and i don't have any more track days booked.

They are really bad though, Lack any bite and stopping power is really poor compared to the CL RC5+, Yellowstuff, Pagid RS29's, PF and Mintex pads i have ran.

Yellows offer a good balance of stopping power over stock yet will still last a while on track.

24. Does the fluid make a massive difference to the feel?

Will Ate super blue be just a good as rbf600 for my intended purpose?

25. So basically for everyday driving the standard set up is fine? If you're a track whore you might want to change?

Or are the standard ones dangerous?

26. Just read this.. You change all the fluid, not just the front/rear. If you don't track, oem will be fine. Stamp the oem a few times and they'll warm up and you won't be any worse off. Upgrades are only likely to be better when they're super hot.

27. Are these Megane 250's easy to bleed?

28. Yes and no.. Bleeding brakes can be easy if you know what you're doing. Letting them run dry is bad as air can get in the abs pump.

29. I think I'll be ok - just wondering as some new road cars are a pain...

30. If you've done it before you should be fine mate

31. Just wish it had dry break connectors like the cars at work - they make bleeding brakes nice and clean!!!