Want some trackday tyres.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Chiaki Khunt., Jul 30, 2013.

1. Chiaki Khunt.

Chiaki Khunt. Troll.

Been looking at federal rsr, kumho v70 and ofcourse toyo r888 like the r26.r came with.

what are people's opinions on these tyres? I plan on doing trackdays soon in my r26.

2. can of worms mate honestly.

whats your budget, that would make it easier.

3. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

v70's seem the best overall for quality, and durability v cost.

4. You will be fine on your first track day with road tyres mate . Give you a chance to learn how the car handles at a lower pace

Then I'd have a look at trackday rubber

But if your set on them , I could probably sort you out a set of part worn R888's if your interested , coming off my old wheels soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

5. Yoko AD08 are good for me on track, there are better out there if you require a track tyre as these are based on summer/track tyre.

wear good too

6. Chiaki Khunt.

Chiaki Khunt. Troll.

What do you think of the federal rsr how long do they last? Do they grip well compared to kumho v70?

7. how much tread left? what you looking for them?

8. I do prefer Toyo over Kumho, over here the road is very bumpy. Kumho tires are weak, they need more face reinforcing.
    Why not a maxxiss tire? RC1-Victra o Ma-Z1. They are cheapest and excellent quality

9. If you've got one set of wheels Id opt for Yokohama AD08 or Federal RSR, both in 225/45/18.

If you've got a spare set purely for track days and are willing to get there early and leave late Id go for some used or new Rally tyres like Dunlop or Hankooks

10. A pair are like new , and the other pair are on the markers

£200 mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

11. My rsr's have been great for track use, plenty enough grip, miles cheaper the v70s and r888s too and will easily last twice as long.

If you are out searching for an extra second a lap get the v70s.

12. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

have you had the rsr's chipping at any point yet?

13. Tess Tickle

Tess Tickle Banned

Nankang ns-2r is another option I hear they grip better than r888 and last longer to.

14. Are nankangs any good? My mate has them on his M3 and seems to think they are budget tyres!

15. I ran a set of RSRs on the road on my 16" turinis.. They were awesome for everyday use.. Not so good in the wet but then again I never am really one to try and set world records in the rain..

16. Chiaki Khunt.

Chiaki Khunt. Troll.

Just been reading on the "other" forum and the federal rsr get slated on there and not on here, why is that?

17. Die hard trackdayers needing fastest lap times mate thats all.

If your on track to have a laugh with some extra grip over road tyres you wont go wrong with the rsr.

18. The only time i got it was the first time i used them and chipped a 5p size off the very outer bit of tread (the bit that gets the most abuse) since then, good as gold!

19. Definately wouldnt recommended them for rain. Same goes for other track tyres tbh. But thats not what they are designed for eh!

20. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

might just have been the early ones then?

21. Who knows, i havent heard anyone else complain - My mates vx220 has them too and no problems at all

22. One thing you need to do with trackday tyres.... Heat cycle. If your not sure about how to do it then just hit google. But it makes a massive difference to your tyres if you do it, makes them last longer and perform much much better :-)

23. Chiaki Khunt.

Chiaki Khunt. Troll.

That where you do a rolling burnout to get the heat in? I do that all the time so that's ok.

24. Ha Ha, that would be good... You have to get them up to a decent temp and then let them rest and cool, but on a track you would be driving at say 70% of what you normally would to get the heat in & then rest for 24 hrs. (this makes the rubber more uniform and it forms stronger bonds in the rubber fibres)

I do at least 2 or 3 heat cycles on track tyres before they are used properly and it makes a big difference.

I tend to use Yokohama Advan A048R, I have always found them to be the best. Quite like the Kumho's though.

25. I had Yokohama A048's on my track car and I though they were great not so good in the wet but for the dry were fantastic!!!