VWTT 275 trophy

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by VW TT, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Did Harewood Hill climb today. I didn't win any awards but my friend got "best driver". Sigh, I'll never here the last of that!! Haha.

The sun was shining, I met loads of great people, and had a total blast in the car! It was ace. Looking at the in car movies I think I got around a 1:14. Don't know if that's good or bad. But it was FUN ! :smile:

IMG_4864.PNG

Big Uno and cgrautomotive like this.
  2. Excellent and the car is really nice. Bet your chuffed

VW TT likes this.
  3. Thanks Cazper. Yep I'm really chuffed with the car.

4. There are the first 6 runs on here. The times started around 1:30 and the last one was around a 1:15. I think I managed to go a little faster in the afternoon after some more tuition and some extra bravery. So I'm guessing at a 1:14 or maybe a little better but couldn't check it as the camera battery died :worried:

Big Uno likes this.
  5. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

Harewood is great fun, we've spent a lot of time up there! Are you in the Yorkshire area?

VW TT likes this.
  6. No im over in Warrington. But it wasn't too far to drive over.

Oulton Park is my local track and its great fun, but the hill climb is so intense. No room for getting it wrong, so you have to really focus. Some drivers were just fearless. But I built up slowly through the day.

Looking at the movies after is a little frustrating as you can see where you weren't brave enough, or where you missed an apex or didn't use all the road on the exit......etc etc.

But for a first ever hill climb I just had a great time.

7. Car looks great. I fancy the black badge for mine where'd you get yours please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Take it off and spray it.... :tongueout: or try Ebay for stick on covers

lok101 likes this.
  9. lok101 likes this.
  10. Just stick on covers via a different forum (sorry) Renaultsportclub.co.uk

https://www.freewebstore.org/renaul..._facelift_Black_Badges/p3018671_15662841.aspx

They are nice. But I was a bit hasty and didn't check the fit before sticking them on. They come with a little sanding block so you can adjust the fit so they are perfect but I was too keen to get them on and now the fit isn't spot on.

Fit them right and they are great.

lok101 likes this.
  11. Not sure if i ever posted this shot but thought i really should.

rs front.jpg

av4625, Victor, evojkp and 4 others like this.
  12. Nothing done to the car yet ☹️ Had big plans but keep going back and forth with what to do. Tune it, don’t tune it, coilovers, springs, wheels, etc etc.

I think it shows how good the standard car is that I’ve harldy made one modification since owning it.

Current plan is the new BC coilovers, a decat, I/c, intake, dv, and tune. With some Oz 18’s and better tyres. Maybe I will. Maybe I won’t. Probably will haha.

Still at least track season is here again. Booked for Donny in Feb. Harewood in Aug. Angelsey sprint day hopefully in August too. Want to do Silverstone at some point. And planning a trip this year to Ring/Spa.

13. Lovely looking car mate.
    My licence plate is only 1 digit different!

Ive had mine remapped, airtec intercooler stage 1 with a profket recirc valve and k&n panel filter. Running 305 340
    Changed the brake fluid to the 660 with braided lines and z rated brake pads.
    Also lowered on h&r. less body roll on track and a fairly cheap mod to get the center of gravity lower!
    i also run a second set of wheels which are tibor 18s but in red wrapped in ad08rs.

14. Hi! Yes noticed there was someone on here with a close reg to mine. Sounds like you’ve done a nice job with yours. How are the H&R springs for daily use? Got any pics of the car lowered or a build thread going for your car?

15. I dont think youd be able to tell if the ride quality was any different imo
    just less body roll. Im happy with them, off to spa in spring so be good to see how they hold up.
    24650438148_4626ff2ea0_k.jpg 20171119_134606 by james simpson, on Flickr
    38189297622_e4761bf6cd_k.jpg IJ6A3638 by james simpson, on Flickr

VW TT likes this.
  16. Looks great!

17. its how it should of been out the factory imo

18. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

The BC's are a really good set-up. We've installed and set-up and a lot of the BC sets on Mk3's now including a 4 wheel geo set-up and corner weighting and they drive unbelievably well. Without spending the money on some KW clubsports or Nitrons e.t.c there's really not a lot better, we also offer custom rear spring rates to get the set-up fully optimised for what you're using the car for, whereas BC only offer 4kg or 7kg rear rates.

If you need any more info give us a shout :blush:

19. They do seem like a good middle ground between springs and the high end coilovers. Was hoping some one on here or the Fb groups would do a review but not seen anything yet.

20. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

https://www.facebook.com/groups/meganesport/permalink/10155903879979233/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/meganesport/permalink/10155912325089233/

This was a car with fairly stiff springs as it was going to be used pretty much purely on track, we've also done set-ups with springs marginally stiffer than factory, and just done a nurburgring set-up which was somewhere between the two. I'll try get the chaps to send in or post up some reviews for you.

We've found that despite the stiffer spring rates the car's are still really comfy on the road, the ring car we just installed and did a full 4 wheel set-up with 8kg front and 6kg rear springs and down bumpy b-roads it was more than comfortable and still perfectly capable on the road without feeling unsettled in the slightest, those spring rates would perform really well even on smooth UK tracks too but it was more optimised for the ring. Really happy with the set-up though that's probably what I'd personally go for, but some people prefer the slightly softer spring for the road as it makes the car really quite comfortable.

We do Nitrons, KW's, Intrax and RSC suspension too, so if you wanted any info on them we can help out, but without upping the budget to a set of RSC Pro's or Clubsports, I'd say there's no better option really than the BC's.

21. Hi thanks for the links. Some good write ups there. Seems like a great option.

22. So quite how I’m resisting modifying the car I’m not sure. It’s had all the boring service/mot/tyres. And the car feels as good as always.

I decided to go have a look at the new type r after reading all the hype about it and well it’s just amazing! After test drive one on unfamiliar sunny roads I was ready to trade the Megane in! Then I had a second drive on roads I know and in the wet. And the Megane chassis really really showed how good it is. So I put the type R out of my mind. And went and looked at an M2 haha. Lovely car and an amazing sound. But so much more money I couldn’t justify it.

So I thought. Just book a trackday and everything will be ok again. So a few days ago I went to Donington (first time ever) and had an absolute blast! I really connected with the car again and loved every minute of it.

WIll I now keep and modify the car? Buy a Type R? Or an M2? Wait for the new RS? Honestly I don’t know.

But what I do know is my Megane RS is a truly amazing car. Especially on track ! :smile:

ianplymouth likes this.
  23. What's the difference in price between the two cars, i bet if you spend half that amount you will have a car better than all of your other choices :laughing::laughing:

Keep the Trophy :sunglasses::sunglasses:

24. Exactly my thinking at the moment. I'm only holding off now with the mods to see what the new megane is like. Although to be fair it will be a while till the better versions are available so I might just get on with it.....!

evojkp likes this.
  25. 649635B4-60F1-4CB3-A453-5783AC25B204.jpeg

Mikey4410, James275 and Paul21 like this.
  26. DEA1BD18-3E6C-4EAA-8CF8-2700E4AFBE02.jpeg

Paul21 likes this.

27. Thats the way I look at it. Tried a few new cars recently as I have the itch to change, but is a CTR, FRS or G7R worth my 275 Trophy plus 10-15k on top as well......nope!! I sometimes wish the meg was a poor driver as I could justify changing it, but even in standard form its a cracker.

VW TT likes this.
  28. The megs a true drivers car. It's not for show offs or bhp chasers. For the money I don't think there's a better car out there, if there was I'd be driving it.

Mikey4410, Paul21, sunnylunn and 2 others like this.
  29. very tempted with the BCs myself.

30. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

BC's are a bargain! Be daft not to IMO.

31. So the BC’s will happen very soon. But for now I’ve ordered a set of ultraleggera wheels and some AD08R tyres. I’ll keep the oem wheels with PS4 tyres for the worse weather. Wish I’d put rainsports on the oem wheels but hey the PS4 tyres aren’t too bad.

Specs of the OZ wheels are 18x8 et48 with 225 40 18 AD08R tyres. Does that all seem about right to everyone?

32. yeah thats fine. my evo corse are the same but they come with 235s but they look quite fat.

33. Bc’s on mine soon. Just waiting on Charlie getting back from holiday to get it booked in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyper likes this.
  34. Thanks James. Was wondering if I should have gone for 235.

35. Let us all know what you think once they are in.

I worry about daily use. Don’t want to be avoiding every tiny blemish on the road. Hopefully these will be a good setup. What spring rates are you going for?

36. Not sure yet about spring rates, will have a chat with Charlie hopefully tomorrow, but will be more of a track set-up. I'm hoping that even a firmer setup that can slacken off the dampers will be an improvement on std cup set-up on the road. Earliest I can get them is June due to work and other commitments, which will come round soon enough. The joys of working away from home.

Been struggling to justify doing anything to the car as I will almost certainly be chopping it in for a Mk4, but would not be until the Trophy is announced to see if its worth it. So possibly have the car for another year.

37. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

225 is what you want on an 8J imo. I have 235's on my rear 8 OZ's and they are a little to big for the rim.

VW TT likes this.
  38. yeah they are fat if you want them to look pretty

VW TT likes this.
  39. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not so much looking pretty, The sidewall moves a bit more and isn't as stiff, Handy on the back as it helps generate heat but not so much up front if you want it razor sharp on turn in

VW TT likes this.
  40. Thanks guys. Yep razor sharp is what I’m after. I’ll stick with the 225’s.

May get the BC’s but also wondering what the mk4 is like. One dealer told me recently that the sport, cup, and trophy would all be available to order from the cars release. I don’t think that is true though. So most likely I’ll test drive the mk4 cup asap....if it’s great then I’ll wait for the Trophy and do the minimum to the mk3. If it’s not so great I may go all out on the mk3. Maybe. Also intrigued by the type R at the moment. So we will see what happens.

Excited about the wheels and tyre though. Always wanted some ultraleggera wheels.