Upgrading the Sound Quality on the M3RS Stereo

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by clixx-io, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Are these external amps bypassing the power stage of the oem radio unit or are they just an auxillary amp fed off the output of the oem head unit?

Either way if you're after sound quality it's still dependant on the oem unit to a greater or lesser extent, even adding EQ you can't put back quality already lost.

Shame the oem units are not a standard DIN facia.

2. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

The external amps are just boosting the power from the standard head unit, so essentially you're boosting poor signal anyway which is a shame, i really want to keep the standard head unit but can see me replacing it eventually.

3. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

They are fine mate, and lets be honest, it can't sound worse can it.

4. Get them, I fitted mine yesterday, like said above can't be worse! So these little tweeters help a lot. I'm very happy with the improvement, shame it does nothing for the bass tho!

Gavin. likes this.
  5. No worries, usually this is caused by feedback from everything turning on at the same time. The lc2i has a delay on the remote to account for this, got rid of my issue at least!

The OP was on about changing the amplifier internally which may solve the issue of poor quality as this could be the source. The ideal solution really as it maintains oem look and function. Havinf said that, using a usb digital analogue converter and going through the aux on head unit (thus avoiding most of the standard headunits processing) vastly improves quality for me. It may be more than the internal amplifier at fault here.

6. I bought the FLI tweeters and fitted them yesterday. I was pretty surprised to find tweeters under the grills in my car but they weren't working, so I replaced them and it sounds a bit better now.

Gavin. likes this.
  7. How are you guys fitting the tweeters in (I'm on about the Ebay linked ones above). I've popped mine in but i cant quite re-fit the covers back on properly. They don't squeeze into the hole fully. Take them out of the plastic cups and they drop down inside.

8. I took the plastic covers off and they stayed near the top. They didn't fall inside

9. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

As above, not sure how they can fall inside, mine have a plastic tray that sit on that the connector was sat in.

10. My connectors were sat in a 'cradle' too. I pulled connectors free of cradle, plugger tweeters in, let the connector and tweeter cable feed down the hole into the dash (somewhere!) and then used the sticky foam pads to just push the back of the tweeter down against the cradle or cup part. Then just popped the covers back on. Probably not the neatest way but it worked and they can't be seen anyway!

11. I struggled to get the connectors free of the cradle. Pushed said cradle into the hole and now I have a hole too small for the plastic cup but too big without.

Some tinkering is required.

Meh!

12. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Ah! Gutted, sometimes its never as easy as expected, i nearly lost one of the cables down the gap, just managed to get it back with a screwdriver.

13. Luckily i had the renault custom fit pioneers from my old clio, had to make the cradle hole abit bigger from what it was, and cut the tab along the plug, but ot plugged straight in and clioped into dash has standard one would. Glad i read this, always thought i had tweeters.

14. I also plan to do an upgrade of the sound in my RS as it is pretty bad as standard.
    The plan is to use the standard HU and feed it into an Audison Bit Ten D in order to keep all standard functionality but at the same time be able to perform EQ, time correction etc.
    The Bit ten D also have the possibility to input more sources, which I might utilize at some point in order to get better SQ than what the standard HU can deliver.

15. Eesshh those Bit Ten D's aren't cheap! My concern would be that you're still putting a dodgy signal into it, garbage in garbage out.

A previous method I was going to follow was to change the radio using the 29-UC-REN2-NAV loom adapter. This unit lets you retain the sat nav and all other function but replace the radio with an aftermarket one. Coupled with a ~£30 fascia adapter, the radio problem could be resolved.

The reasons I didn't go for this were that the adapter is £160, and I couldn't find any aftermarket OEM looking radio. Food for thought though I guess for anyone thinking of an upgrade.

16. When fitting tweeters is nobody using a crossover or is there one already built in..

17. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Built into the system already I presume, just the speakers missing.

18. Mine aren't missing and the ones that are factory fit have circuitry on the back which probably is a crossover.

19. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Hmmm.... i just plugged mine in being honest, it never crossed my mind.

20. The pioneer amp I use, takes the original amped output from headunit and strips it and starts again basically so have the clarity with no distortion. Good bit of kit

21. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Worth a go then? Plug and play amp?

22. If it's still going through the old headunit you've already lost things you can't get back. It's like running a F1 engine on carbs off an old pinto.

23. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

That's what I thought, essentially you're amplifying an already shit signal

24. Either way it does what I inteded to do. After having and hearing many SPL and SQL systems, its more than adequate and plays crystal clear all the way up with no distortion. Welcome to have a listen at FCS if you come find me and you can make your own judgement :smile:

25. If you just wanted more volume that's fine you have indeed achieved your goal, but if it's quality then you've now got the same quality as before just louder. Not trying to besmirch what you've done, if you're happy that's what matters I just don't want us to confuse quality with quantity(volume).

crowdie likes this.
  26. ^ pretty much that. You can't 'strip' anything away from an analogue source like that.

If the old amp was clipping (high distortion) at a certain volume and the new amp doesn't, then it will indeed sound a lot better; this is entirely feasible however.

27. I can buy 4x Arkamys 5.25" speakers and 4x Arkamys tweeters for £89.

Is it worth it, even though I have the standard headunit, which I'm assuming is different to the headunit that comes with the Arkamys sound system.

28. You'd be better off buying a set of aftermarket speakers for the car. Much better value for money.

29. Yeah that's what I was thinking. But thought I'd ask anyways.

30. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Just managed to pick up one of those Pioneer GM-D1004 plug and play amps, I'm still running standard speakers as well so let's see how it sounds before I upgrade them.

31. Let us know how easy it is to install as well.

32. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Supposedly fits behind the glove box, I'll get pics if I remember.

33. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Do it! Dear god what a difference, even with the standard speakers, there's actually bass.

94893dd116030f2ca8794b27b7840001.jpg

Paul21, Jimbob 2705 and RS250 like this.
  34. Any more details / pics?

35. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

No mate, only the model Pioneer GM-D1004, it's a good starting point, I still plan on changing the speakers but this alone has made a big difference.

36. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

I'll see what I can throw together guide wise, I can't be arsed taking it to bits again [emoji23]

37. was it plug and play or is there some wiring involved.. i.e. is it iso plugs or do you have to hard wire to the unit etc.

38. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Plug and play, it has ISO leads. I have created a guide in the guides section.

RS250 likes this.
  39. That's good because I spotted the chocolate block in the harness on the left which made me think it had been modified