1. Hi guys. It's time for me to replace the front tyres on my R26. I don't plan on doing any track days this year but often go for spirited drives! I've been looking at Nankang ns2r, Federal 595 RSR, hankook V12 ventus and continental SC2. Which would you recommend?

Cheers
    Jake

2. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Can of worms.

Everybody has difference opinions and experience of tyres.

Personally I would recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 3's for the road.

3. I've just had conti 5P's fitted all round and i'm loving them.. Some say they dont last long but can't comment on weat atm. Find them very confidence inspiring in dry and wet though.. If you're going with the 235s that is. Thats on 18s on a 250 mind.

I've heard the GY eagle F1's are very good on the R26's. If you go for 225s you can get Mich Super Sports which are the daddy's atm..

4. Daz

Daz

I had conti 5's and went to eagle f1's

I thought the conti's were average at best, much happier with the f1's.

Weirdly hated f1' on my old clio, my tyre choice on that was sportracs!

Just goes to show the car plays as much of a role in tyre choice as the tyre!

5. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

The Pilot Super Sports are quite cheap from Camskill currently.

6. Pilot super sports on my 250 in 225/40/18
    and find them awesome in dry and very good in wet but never push the car in the wet

7. +1 on the PSS for me as well;

I've ran both GY Eagle F1s and these and much prefer the PSS, better in the wet even, very sticky in the dry.

8. Pilot Super Sports
    I dont like F1 Assy's

9. I replaced my front eagle f1s with pss a couple of weeks ago and haven't got a bad thing to say. Much prefer them over the eagles. I used oponeo.co.uk some good prices on there

10. I've gone from RS-R's to conti 5's and love them! The RS-R's are great in the dry, but a bit scary in the wet. I guess it is a very subjective topic, horses for courses I suppose. Just get whatever is cheapest!!

11. I've gone for the pilot super sports! I payed £97.79 each with free delivery which is an excellent price! Thanks for all the replies.

12. Think their £94 at camskill

13. Been running the ps3's on mine excellent grip in all weather. But they wear pretty quick.

14. Tyre time for me soon aswell.
    Car currently has Toyo T1 Sport fitted by the previous owner, they seem pretty ok, but have nothing to compare them with - anyone have any expirience with this tyre.
    Im leaning towards PS3's due to this thread.

15. Just paid out for 4 x Michelin super sport, 235/35 R19 Y. Black circle seemed the best, currently tyre of the week so £15 off each tyre.

16. How quick is quick? I'm doing about 1500 miles a month

17. Ran mine for just over 5k daily work commute roughly 800 miles a month. Well worth the money though perfect tyre for the car.

18. I am on Contis SC5 currently.
    Grip is fantastic but they wear quickly.
    I had them for 8000km and I think it is last moment to put the worn pair at the back..
    Will try PSS on next occasion.
    Also, it would be nice to try Toyo R888 on RS250. Had these on Clio RS200 and it provides monster grip!

19. For the money the 888s aren't worth it anymore imho. Back when they costed about half of what they do today they were awesome.

Now they're just absurdly overpriced most of the time!

20. Just replaced my ps3's that i ruined at croft in half a session today, gone for the ns2r's, much better on track and on the way home!

21. What pressure should I have in my 225/40/18 PSS? On OEM 18x8.25s

22. Rausner - think factory pressure would suit.

I personally find 2.2bar all round works great. Start with that and adjust to taste

MY AD08rs on the front are now dead thinking of trying out the new MPSC 2s but not sure

23. Since I do mostly highway commuting I go on 2.6-2.8 front/back. Feels a bit high, but still amazing grip so I guess it works!

Psc2s must be amazing considering how good PSS are!

24. That seems too high on the rear mate?

I run 2.5 front and 2.3 rear on my 2008 r26 (PSS in 225 40 18 also), check the drivers door for the sticker with the recommended pressures :smile:

25. Mine only gives the pressures for the 19s with 235/35/19. Felt a bit high yes, but when I googled it and asked my mates they recommended it...

26. Wow seems very high but economical i would guess.

I love PSS tyres perfect all rounder

27. NJH

NJH

I don't drive mine that often so will definitely be going for Cup 2s when the PS2s on there wear out, at 134 quid its a no brainer really, hearing nothing but hugely positive feedback on them from guys opinions I trust i.e. serious racers who race all through the season in all conditions.

28. The stock PS2s on my 265 are close to their wear limits, so on the lookout for replacements...

Now on the one hand the car is very unlikely to see a trackday (and if it does, I'll probably be the slowest driver anyway lol), but being able to put down 261 ponies effortlessly in all conditions would be nice.

I've got winter wheels and tyres, so snow/very cold weather isn't too much of a consideration.

29. ETA I can get Bridgestone S001s for the same price as PS3s from a local tyre fitter, any opinions on the S001s?

30. I'd stick with the PS2 if you're happy with them there's no need to change imo.

31. Anyone have personal experience of PS3 V's PS2?

32. PS2s are better

33. PS3's are shite.

34. Good! I currently have PS3's and have for the past 3 years and they just don't grip as much as id like!!! Glad you've said that as not far off replacement so it's PS2 next!

35. Okay after some research it seems like Pilot Supersports are the 'replacement' for PS2s, while PS3s are a notch down... is with wet grip and/or dry grip?

I'd be open to other brands as well.

36. For road and the odd track day PSS all day , their mega and dirt cheap £100 a tyre

37. Looks like you can't get them (PSS) in 235/40/18 size though? I could go 225 or 245 but I'd rather avoid this if possible... I'll keep an eye out for PS2.

38. I and most others run the 225 mate in the PSS,

39. Should you run 235 standard Steve? Is there any alloy protection / tyre sticking out on the 225 PSS?