Trophy R or R26.R

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by hugh, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Good Morning guys,

I'm currently looking at replacing my RS with either a R26.R or a Trophy-R and wanted your thoughts on either car to help the decision.

I currently own a mk3 Clio Silverstone 200, prior to that I owned a R26.R in RB with all the desired options cage,Ti,climate etc. The sale of the R26.R was the worst decision I've made in my short car history. I used to love the RB colour and if I was to choose a R26.R again it would have to be a rare colour option with a standard full spec, rare but possible.

Equally I have the opportunity to purchase a Trophy R, which is a car I've never driven but imagine will feel bulky vs. a R26.R. As the prices seem even between both models at current its worth consideration. Both examples found are equal in mileage (8k), the Trophy R does not have the 'ring pack' but comes with upgraded brakes.

The resale value of the R26.R is already proven, however the Trophy R not including the 'ring pack' may affect its desirability as a collectors item in the future.

Any thoughts are appreciated, especially from people who have owned/driven both.

thanks
    Hugh

2. In short I'd get the trophy r

Evolution is a good thing! It's newer, proven quicker in the right hands.
    And I think will be just as desirable down the line from a resale point of view

Xanda73 likes this.
  3. If Renaultsport have neglected the next Megane RS at the expense of the Alpine and its a bit of a dog, then Trophy R, as it will mark the last of the real enthusiasts Renault.

4. First thing to do would be to give the Trophy R a proper test drive otherwise you'll never be able to make a decision.
    I drove the Trophy R at a Bedford Renaultsport day and albeit I only did three laps it was pretty good, better than the R26R but as said above its going to be as it evolves! At the time there was a big difference in price between the two so for me it wasn't justified. Now the R26R's have risen they're not that far off a Trophy R so I'd say go for that! It has the scope to achieve more power too as the engines are stronger in the MK3. What do you want it for? garage queen for future re-sale or something to just have fun in? Ultimately I think the R26R will always hold its money better as it was the first of its kind and has quirky features like the carbon bonnet and plastic windows which the Mk3 doesn't have. Either way both cars are mega and make you look like a hero on track!!!

5. Intended use is garage queen with Occasional B road use. I'd love to try it on track.
    I agree with the R26/R value holding firm what with the bonnet/windows etc. vs. the Trophy R, my counter thought on this was that there's less Trophy R's than .Rs.
    many thanks for your repsonses.

6. Given your intended use, go for the R26R. Its more hardcore and desirable. Plus residuals are solid so you shouldn't lose any money on it (don't expect it to increase much though).

I have a modded R26 and had an RS265 before. The newer car is nicer and faster but if you are only interested in driving pleasure/fun and don't need the day to day comforts of the Trophy then stick with the R26R. This was essentially what I did but decided a modded R26 with more power and all the upgrades for £3.5k was a better place to put my money than an R26R.

I use mine for a lot of hoons and I work harder in the R26 but that's what its all about. A friend has a Golf R and its all so easy he's barely driving it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    hugh likes this.