250 Trackday pad advice?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by BillS, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Here's the story...........
    Got a Megane RS250 that I have been using mainly for track days since I bought it in March. The car seems pretty fast compared to other cars so think it has been chipped. Quite happy with the power - it's just stopping the thing that the problem !
    Bought the car with EBC yellows but they seemed to fade quickly. Moved to CL RC5+ which have good initial grip but not enough depth of braking force.
    Wondering if I should go for RC6s as they have a higher braking coefficient (0.5 cf o4 for RC5s).
    Even thought about a bigger disc kit - but am running 18s so limited to kits like KTEC - and not sure going from 340mm discs to 348mm is going to give much more braking force.

Any ideas for stronger track pads than the RC5+ or any other ideas to improve the braking performance would be much appreciated !

2. I have tried loads of pads from DS1.11's to my current ones, Endless, £400 quids worth though.
    I would seriously consider PF z rated pads, they are really good and the price is very good as well, i liked the cl6's and the cl8's are another level but i only managed 3 track days before they needed to be replaced.

It might sound stupid but are you bedding them in properly ?????

3. For me its Carbotech xp8`s...strict bedding in procedure..but fk do they work!.
    had 3 sets...instant bite/hard pedal right at the top/last well with to much disk damage.
    no to much noise..nasty dust though..dont let it sit on the wheels long.

Jamie on here,who is always pounding the tracks,
    said very good things about the XP10`s he was using for hard track work.

4. Can't comment on others above but when I went from rc5+ to rc6 on the r26 it was a noticeable step, and the rc5+ were decent

5. Would anyone know of a website that sells the xp10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. I believe so - wasnt convinced about original discs fitted to car - so changed them too! Bedding in procedure for RC5+ is quick and simple.......

7. I think for any pads that are going to be used on track at some point you would need to be bedded in properly, 75% peddle effort from 70/80 mph to about 30 mph, 5 times but with enough time in between for the discs to cool down.
    A guy at Spa did 600 miles bedding his brakes in gently and on track he lost total confidence in his brakes, used this procedure and recons at least 100% improvement

8. carbotechs is 3 sets of 3 stops soft/moderate then maximum.
    let the brakes cool off..then work the brakes as hard as you can manage to run them right up to there full operating limit.

on my second set,i didnt do this,and they felt fantastic on the road.
    when i went to the ring a week later,they glazed over,and had to be put on a belt sanded to get them back.

9. direct from carbotech...
    they are made to order.
    Ian at carbotech is a friendly,prompt chap....just email him.

http://www.carbotech-europe.com/contact.html

cenzlama likes this.
  10. Only got experience of a few pads on the Mk3..

• Std Pads, fine for daily and more spirited driving, even reasonably decent on track if you recognise when to back off.
    • DS2500, decent pads, decent bite but only slightly better than standard pads
    • RS29's, outstanding initial bite and work every well on track, but for daily driving they are noisy, way noisy.
    • PFZ's trying these at the moment mainly due to squeal from RS29's. Good day to day, good initial bite but fall off and dont retard as good as RS29's

11. APM

APM RSM Trader

What fluid and lines are you running, are you still factory? CL RC6/8 front, RC5/6 rear would work great at a very good price.

12. I am running braided hoses and Pagid DOT5.1 fluid (still glycol based but higher BP than Dot 4)

13. Im using PF z on my R26. Very very good on track and usable in the road, with no squeel or dust. Good at high speed stops on Mway.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

14. Performance Z or try the PBS pads, there is a deal on them at the mo, where you buy a set of fronts and get the rears free.