Tomsladen's Black R26 Daily

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by TomSladen, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Thanks guys. Had initially wrapped the fogs but didn't really like it! Might get some proper blanks and see how we get on.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

2. Fog light blanks for the win sladen!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowen and TomSladen like this.
  3. In all honesty... It's an old marks and Spencers click and collect advertisement sign. Just cut to fit. It's bolted to the subframe as well as the bumper so it's fairly solid. My old splitter took a battering and I removed it. Fancied something different. On the look out for a standard bumper with splitter so I can swap it for track.

jack250 and Boardy like this.
  4. Nice job pal.

5. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

7701208643 is the part number for them

6. Update : not a lot has changed apart from the AST sportline 2 way adjustable coilovers I managed to get hold of.

Car looks spot on now and Alot more purposeful. Handles spot on and isn't crashy in the slightest. All ready for Donington on the 4th December. Just a few bits to put on including new brembo hc disks and Ds1.11s.

1479223598842.jpg DSC_0648.JPG DSC_0626.JPG DSC_0605.JPG DSC_0622.JPG

Jimbob 2705 likes this.
  7. looking good there
    Black won't show the brake dust :smile:
    Was thinking of going but it's a long way for me and i need to get on with my engine change, enjoy the day :sunglasses:

8. Black cars are just the worst mate. They turn a horrible grey colour! Loads of clios and meganes booked on. It's a 2 hour drive for me so an early start. Hopefully yours will be done for the new year of track days?

9. The last one i did on Nov 5th, took me 5.5hrs travelling to get there, 3.5hrs to get home as well, i stay over the night before nice and refreshed for the morning.

I have a black Megane DCi and i am sure it looks dirtier the more i clean it :sob:

10. Got back from an awesome day at Donington today. Early start and the weather couldn't have been better. In The sun it was warm and the air temps were extremely cold.

DSC_0698.JPG

DSC_0695.JPG

First time on the ast's and I can safely say they are Defo worth every penny. So much more confidence and also a lot less body roll.

Downside of the day was that my inner pad mated itself to my brand new brembo hc that I had put on the night before. No idea why but still had a cracking day regardless.

DSC_0681.JPG

DSC_0685.JPG

1480867093882.jpg

DSC_0715.JPG

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Danith and matt e like this.
  11. You bought the racingflex torque stabiliser Tom? Is it rock hard?

12. I have mate. But I haven't had it fitted yet. Might fit it this afternoon after a good clean. I'll let you know.

Danith likes this.
  13. Looks ace Tom! Are you still running Michelin PS3s? Would you recommend them or have you tried anything else?

Would be really keen to know what mods you've got with the 250 turbo to reach that power if you wouldn't mind making a short list too!

14. Love this! How you finding it compared to your 172? Most say not as playful or as fun, but a lot more capable!

I've currently got a 182, and really thinking of swapping to a Megane. I bet this is in a different league with that 250 turbo fitted now!

15. Cheers lads!

In regards to the tyres I am on my second set of the ps3s. They aren't the be all and end all of tyres. But as an all rounder which last and grip no matter what you throw at them. I have used them on track in the wet and they have been fine. There are better tyres out there. But for what I need daily I'm happy with them.

Modifications wise:

- Ram air cone filter in place of standard box.

- scorpion 3" decat to 3" piper exhaust

- Siemens 630cc injectors

- straight swap over for cold side off a 250 megane.

- gpi eBay intercooler with forge boost pipes and hard pipe kit

- unicorn developments mapping software 307bhp and 304lbft

That's about it really engine wise. Gearbox has the single mass flywheel conversion with r26-r clutch.

In every way I miss my 172. Just the fact you could get in it and blast it everywhere and it would do what ever you wanted it to do. Never drove it on track but I loved the simplicity.

If you are swapping for a totally standard megane then I wouldn't bother and get something like a golf gti or similar.

A well driven clio would be quicker than a megane in a straight line as well as in the corners. The r26 diff is Defo worth the extra cash. If I had the cash I would have the clio as a track car and the megane for a daily as they are a more comfortable car to live with.

My aim with this megane is something that I can use everyday for work and long runs at a weekend with the gf where it can be reliable. When I'm on my own you can have fun with it and also take it on track and keep up with some much more track focused cars.

Jimbob 2705 and Somnambulist like this.
  16. I'd say what you said here pretty much sums it up for me

Jimbob 2705 likes this.
  17. Awesome thanks @TomSladen that's really helpful. Michelin PS3s it is then! I've run them on most cars I've owned, although not sure how difficult they'll be to get hold of now with the PS4 out. Might try the PS4 instead.

Thanks for sharing the list of mods too, don't think I'll bother with the KTEC induction kit if you've got those gains from a Ramair filter at probably a 1/4 of the cost or even less. Luckily mine already has the R26R clutch/flywheel too so it's ripe for tuning. Just need the funds for the rest of it now!

18. Cheers for that @TomSladen

I'd never keep the R26 standard if I'm honest, it'd be be too boring after my Clio

IMG_5108.JPG

I've gone too far with my Clio as a daily - All Black Polybushed, Solid Engine Mounts and Dogbone Mount, Solid Top Mounts, Strut Braces, Partially stripped out, you get the idea

The rattles and harshness are starting to get on my nerves! But yes it's completely my fault in the quest of having a quicker and more driver focused car lol

Don't get me wrong I love it when you want to push on, and half the time it makes me want to drive like that haha, but it's time when I've got friends or the girlfriend inbth far which makes me wish I had something more daily orientated, whilst still able to have some fun

Anyway, that's enough of a thread hijack sorry!

It's either a Megane or boost the Clio I think...

19. Only just seen this. Looks bloody awesome. You will Defo miss it if you do get a standard meg to start with!

Jimbob 2705 likes this.
  20. My meg started like that after coils solid everything on my old 172 I wanted something more daily oriented now I have solid everything again and I'm back to where I was looking for something as a daily

Jimbob 2705 and TomSladen like this.
  21. That's my biggest concern, I just know the Megane would take the same path...but with twice the amount of torque and a nice chunk of extra power I think it would be a bit more bareable haha

I'm hoping the Megane doesn't have quite as much rattles, but anyway I won't hijack Tom's thread but I will start a thre

Think I saw some of your photos on the Megane page on FB Tom - You run orange wheels on it on the track?

22. Feel free mate. Not too fussed about people posting in the thread at all! As long as it's all relevant.

Yes mate that's mine. Have 3x team dynamics so didn't fancy running odd alloys on the same axle so got some cheap orange ph1 alloys I have kicking about so used them. Looks awful but car goes well so can't complain.

I have got the top dogbone mount to do next week so will let you know how it is!

23. The big trip.

Spent a lot of money recently getting the car in a nice spec and a good set up for fast road and daily use. Had the cambelt water pump and Thermostat done a midlands Renault.

All of the engine related engine mounts done.

The lower front- rear arm bushes which have helped massively with turn in.

Had -2.5 degrees camber set up on the rear to assist with more turn in (hasn't made a difference to driving on motorways etc. Still nice and stable.

Finally completed my set of team dynamics 1.3 with federal 595rsr.) No need to run spacers anymore) thanks #dan!

Ended up at the nurburgring with a cracking set of lads. Had the best week of my life and never actually stopped laughing. I always knew nurburgring was the place to go. But I always had my thoughts it would be a massive over marketed area full of snobby porsche owners. Everyone there was polite and genuinely interested in what you were doing out there and met many random people who made us all feel welcome. Defo recommend it to anyone on here who is in two minds whether to go or not. It really is another world out there.

Just a few pictures of the trip and also the laps.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Si271, Jimbob 2705 and Danith like this.
  24. Hooked

25. Hi, great thread, your spec is very similar to mine.
    I want to have the cat put back on though, Im in the North West and would happily take the phone number of your exhaust man?
    Thanks Mike.

26. So you have decat now and want cat putting back on?

leventis likes this.
  27. Yeah

28. Soon any chance of the number? :smile:

29. Gorjus car dude ! Tasteful few mods there haha. So ure running 300 bhp and torques on stock engine is that right ?

What mileage u on also ?

30. Thank you mate! 145k miles now. Yeah about that. Was 348lbft at one point but had to get the torque taken back out really as I wanted it to last.

31. Little bit of an update.

Had alloys sorted properly and powder coated in gloss anthracite. Really happy with it. Perfect for standing out on track and also subtle for daily driving depending on how the light reflects.

Also gone for ktec sidemount and a turn one oreca drivers seat to help keep my helmet off the roof. The bucket seat really does change the driving position and makes it a lot more raw to drive and you can really get a feel for the road and braking. Also on the way is a steering boss from a group buy and also momo steering wheel which actually looks really nice.

Got a track day on the 4th at Anglesey which was my first ever track day 2 years ago so hopefully a good comparison to when I first got my car when it was fully standard bar panel filter and springs.

f96d4bc065c577f7ab98c8f6b2021d54.jpg f36d9e3cff904f666c5b0052b9446a6e.jpg 02cca5107bac52c26be7fa8488cbe190.jpg 54a9ce56ac4bd3c61a9b51ba7468bce0.jpg

32. Looking awesome

Mikey4410 likes this.
  33. Ray

Ray

very nice Megan! what size ram air cone filter have you got?

34. It's 70mm neck mate. But only the medium size off ebay.

35. Hi ! Can you upload some photos with the correct position of the piece that holds the front brake pipes on a Megane 225 - near the front shocks - and the correct position of the front ABS cable ? Mine's are twisted and the brake lines rubs the interior of the 17' Laguna 2 wheel. I have a Megane 225 engine and gearbox plus all mounted on a Megane estate. Thank you.

36. Anglesey track day this month and was a very good one. Loads of friends booked on so had a day full of both passengers and also plenty of passenger laps in a friend's m140i which was pretty scary!

Clutch decided it was going to play up on the journey down and also try and hold back the day by not releasing properly so spent the day flicking the pedal back up manually with the top of my foot. All I well now after a bleed of the system. Steering wheel also fitted along with aftermarket Renault sport heel and toe pedals.

Also fitted lux xenon lamps to the car but I'll be honest I much prefer the standard lamps to give it a little more aggression at the front.

DSC_0122_1.JPG DSC_0124_1.JPG DSC_0133_1.JPG IMG_20170905_160545_816.jpg IMG_20170905_160545_833.jpg IMG_20170905_160545_819.jpg

Jamesycc likes this.
  37. looks good tom, glad you had a good day matey

38. Hi Tom,car looks ace in those track shots.

Was it Shorties M140 you went out in ?

Jon