Things to look out for when buying a R26!

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by 123HJMS, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Guys,

I've had a look around but cannot see a buying guide for the R26.

Going to look at one tomorrow, what are the main stuff I should keep my eye out for?

Thanks

2. Scuttle panel drain holes aren't blocked.

Window regs work fine.

Hub bearing ( not self centring steering wheel )

Exhaust cough/lumpy idol.

3. Check for wear items in particular mainly the brake pads, discs, tyres and clutch. All expensive items and if they are worn then negotiate the price right down or get the seller to replace.

4. If its had the cam belt and possibly the clutch changed that's a bonus as both are expensive. Rough idle and flashing engine light could indicate dirty injectors, but this needn't cost more than £90.

5. Cheers for the replies guys, it's had all belts changed 5k ago but judging by the pictures either the pads or disks could do with being changed and one of the exhaust tips is hanging low so I suspect an engine mount has gone. Front tyres look quite new and are dunlop sp sport maxx but won't know about the rears until I see it tomorrow. How would I check for scuttle panel blockage? Just check footwells aren't damp?

6. Change both ideally.

Could just be the exhaust mount at the back , or poorly aligned. Ask the chap to gently rev the engine and look for excessive movement of the block.

thats not OEM , but they are fine.

Yes , normally the front near the center , and the back behind the seats

Also worth trying -

Drive around 50mph, aim for 4th/5th at approx 3000rpm and floor it. You shouldnt experience rev flairs ( clutch going )

7. Thanks guys, was a pretty tidy example all in all, discs look pretty shot but tyres were all brand new. My only problem was the turbo was smoking white when revved in neutral? Quite a lot but was thin? Going back to actually test drive later

8. White is ok. Thats water.

Probably just condensation from the cold / damp. Take it out for a drive and if its still happening then worry

9. Yeah white smoke is fine especially in the cold it will show up more from the heat etc