Thermostat replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Ryan herbert, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Hi all just wondering, what it's like to change the thermostat on a meg 250, does anything have to be moved out of the way? And how much coolant am I likely to lose?

2. Pretty straight forward just the battery and tray really. Won't lose a great deal of coolant -just need a little top up (less than 1ltr when I did it )

There is a guide in the guides section in fact

Ryan herbert likes this.
  3. Hi Ryan
    i did this 2 years ago and yes one bolt at bottom needs the battery&tray out to get to!
    I was short on time and pulled quite hard on earth lead i think so now have battery charging faultlight since!
    albiet never went flat!got a spare alternator i`m going to get fitted but defo think it`s just a loose earth cable

Ryan herbert likes this.
  4. Thanks guys, finally got round to doing it tonight, fucking hell what a nightmare getting the battery tray out haha, got there in the end though and it started again so win win:tearsofjoy:

5. I found the worst bit reattaching the drain pipe back to the bottom of the tray whilst putting it back without squashing your hand

6. leave drain pipe on and feed it down as lowering the try, proper pain the whole battery try is though

7. Mine came out with the tray to be honest

8. Thinking of doing this job myself. Having done the job, is it worth the head ache, or are you better off taking it to a mechanic? I don't mind working on cars if it's straight forward, but can get frustrated very quickly lol.

9. I found the battery tray a bit of a ballache to get out just because all of the wires clipped to it but other than that quite an easy job to be honest

10. Ok thanks. Do you have to bleed the system after or can you just top it up and let it run for a while?

11. Apart from battery tray fiasco the lower of the three thermostat bolts will test your patience for sure

12. Should bleed really, one of two bleed screws is right next to thermostat housing

13. Hmmm starting to have second thoughts lol

14. I didn't need to bleed mine. Neither did a mate Ash who is on here. I just topped up and kept an eye on the level.

It is a basic job. I would however get a ratchet spanner for the 3 thermostat housing bolts. Will make life much easier.

nebz250 likes this.
  15. I've got them so that's a good start.

16. Thanks for starting this. I've got the same problem. Can I ask how did you disconnect the battery box from the main terminal blocks on the firewall side?