Steering trouble

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Neal Butler, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Hello everyone,

I've done a lot of work to my 2007 225 Cup and had a great summer with it.

As a perfectionist one thing leads to another so here is the list;
    A Full Service with all the filters changed
    4 new Michelin PS4 tyres
    4 new shocks, springs and mounts
    Full new clutch including flywheel
    New gearbox seals and oil
    2 new Red Brembo front calipers and pads
    2 new rear calipers and pads
    2 new Track Rods
    All parts from Renault or Kam Racing or Renaultparts Direct
    A new Pioneer stereo which suits the car

So the car felt brand new and drove very well and everything was going really well until Friday when the steering went heavy and the car started to pull to the left for no visible reason.
    On Saturday it then started to pull to the right and today it is fine?
    The tyres are not flat and pressures are fine and I've had the tracking checked and it is perfect.
    Has anyone ever experienced this and/or knows what the problem is please?
    Thanks very much, Neal

2. Hub bearings can cause that issue mate

3. sounds very much like hub bearings.
    Tight steering,that doesnt self center.
    When it gets really bad,you will need a degree of force to straighten the steering wheel,as it gets stuck with the seized bearings.

4. Yep, as above! [emoji1303]

5. Did steering fault come up? Check battery connections. My r26 did it a couple of times but my symptoms were more heavy steering after start-up. Seems the battery connection was slightly loose. 're secured it and all was fine again.

Can hub bearings cause intermittent issues? Ie be ok one day then problem....then ok again?

6. As everyone else says....hub bearings, without a doubt.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

7. yes..for sure.It just depends on where the turret decides to get jammed inside the bearing.
    When they jam on lock..it can be quite frighting,requiring reasonable force, to pull it through the jam.
    My car had only done 45k..and yet the rollers inside the bearing were utterly seized solid.

One day the car felt fine..next day..stiff and non-returning steering.

Si271 likes this.
  8. When mine decided to go big time, I was on the motorway! Not a very nice experience! Required a lot of effort to keep the car going straight! Get em done asap!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

9. Hi Lads,
    Thanks very much for replying.
    It is not pleasant when anything happens with your steering as we're generally not driving Miss Daisy in these cars!
    I spoke to my local Renault garage and while they were reluctant to suggest anything without taking it in to have a look they did say that it might be an electronic sensor in the electric power steering column but i don't have any lights up on the dash.
    Has anyone heard of this as a problem?
    Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know how I get on.
    Neal

10. Even if the tracking is out it will put the abs/traction light on, so i very much doubt it will be the steering assist motor.

Just jack up the front, grab the top and bottom of the wheel and rock it, then try the other side, that will soon tell you if its the wheel bearing

11. Yep but mine was a loose battery terminal which when tightened fixed it. It happened one time when I was wangng around track. I seem to remember steering fault came up on one of the occasions but maybe not on both occasions