R26 Steering/suspension clunk noise help

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Yorkie, Oct 8, 2017.

1. I have a clunking noise from somewhere that I can't trace so hoping someone can help.

Happens from steering on lock both sides. Only when loaded with the wheels on ground though. Up in the air there's no noise. Also get the same house when braking heavily, as in sudden hard braking. Can also get it when accelerating hard in 1st and 2nd. It almost sounds like there's something loose but I've been front to back and everything is tightened up.

Car has had new everything, wishbone bushes and bottom ball joints, drop links, twist links, shocks, springs, top mounts, swivel bearings, inner and outer steering arms, TFD steering rack bush.

Any suggestions or anyone had a similar issue would be much appreciated.

Link to noise.

2. Are the rack bolts tight?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3. Yeah. And arb and subframe

4. Noise from other side

5. Might help to localize if u turn the steering wheel without the engine running? But sure u have already done it.

6. There's no way my mrs can turn the wheel for me with with the engine off !! It sounds rack area when I do it but without any other useful ears it's not much help.

7. You could try taking a wheel off and disconnecting the track rod end and seeing if the hub swivels freely.

Maybe the swivel bearings haven't been done properly and are tight to rotate / damaging the bearings?

Just a guess.

8. hub bearing? would usually be more of a crunch though.
    Have you checked drive shafts for play

9. Yes she can, hold the start button for couple of seconds without pressing brake or clutch and everything is on but the engine.

10. Has this been resolved ? - my car has a similar noise from either the steering or suspension, doesn't make it when on a hoist and difficult to diagnose when it's on the ground with weight on the wheels.

11. I basically undid and retightened everything connected to the front end and the noise stopped when steering as above. I did then develop a loud clunk on hard braking/acceleration which i havent yet resolved. However i havent noticed it since changing discs and pads a few weeks ago.
    The car is pulling to the left slightly on the brakes which may be alignment related that i still need to get checked aswell.