275 Stage 2 // reliability question // F4Rt

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Mircea, Sep 2, 2017.

What should I do:

1. Buy the car at a decent price, make assumption its strong.

2. Don't even think about it, most likely its been overboosted, search for a virgin / low milage one.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hi guys,

Newbie here, I'm looking in the market for a 275 Trophy and stumbled upon a very interesting example.

It has ~75k km milage on the clock and seems to have a tune done of around 310hp and 450nm torque.

I'm really in the dark on how reliable these engines are and how safe would it be to get one like this.

Software is not from ktec or any other known company.

Also what can I check in such a situation?

How much would a new engine supplied by Renault cost for a 275?

Thank you so much in advance for your inputs !

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Sage enough, plenty running more than that with no issues nowadays

Mircea likes this.
  3. Mileage ?

Noted & thank you !

4. If you don't know who has mapped and tuned the 275, don't buy. Not worth the risk.

5. Company is called UNITRONIC Poland, they seem to do work on a lot of cars.

6. Reputation and a previous history of providing good, safe and reliable remaps on Mk3 RS Meganes is what you need.

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not really.

Mine is tuned by a company that has only done a handful of Meganes and it's perfectly fine. If they have the skills to produce a good calibration then it doesn't matter what car it goes on. Starting to sound like the RST fanboys now.

8. I think there is enough horror tuning storys going around,
    to warrant going to a firm ,with strong,long term proven reliability.

The trouble is knowing who actually has the skills and knowhow, to present you with a reliable tuned engine.

Look at whats happened recently to several guys on here with Bluefin maps.
    Or some of KTEC`s exploits,like giving a standard engine 400lb/ft.

My mates EK9 turbo civic is once again sitting in a recovery yard at the Nurbergring,for the THIRD time with no oil pressure,
    after his third engine build/tune from three different companys!

One of my other mates that went with him in his turbo`d mk2 golf had a tune done by a local firm,telling him it was `spot on`.
    took it to a track day,and it started cutting out.

Took it elsewhere,and they said the tune was all over the place,the injectors where to small, and the intercooler was running massively high temps..

You may strike lucky with a hidden gem,but i would always go with firm peoples recommendations and long term feedback.
    My stage 1 has been on my car for many years, and never missed a beat.

Mircea likes this.
  9. If the condition and history are good, go for it. Can always take it somewhere and have the map checked if you're concerned.

andrewjeffs likes this.
  10. Not really. It's not about RST, it's about knowing if the map is good, which you agree with. If you can confirm it hasn't done big km on a shit map that's ok.

ewant81 and Mircea like this.
  11. I highly appreciate all of your feedback, I will try and ask how many miles it did with that map but we can all agree that an aswer to that is purely hypothetical and should be half of the mileage.

Conclusion:

Without a correct price to reflect all of the above risks & include the high mileage I'm definitely better off searching for stock low mileage one.

I'm looking in the compression test values as we speak and will include that as well...to my "buy checks", should be around 14bar from what I can make of.

12. Deffo not 14 bar! More like 9-10bar.

However reading the above story, the most important thing is for you to trust what you buy. Otherwise you'll always have regrets.

Mircea likes this.
  13. I will check the car in the local buyers Renault dealership, for previous accident repair, oil leaks, flywheel rattle, 2nd to 3rd gearbox screeching and of course a compression test...and this should be the clearest info in regards to its condition.

Thanks to everyone again, I feel like this community is very nice.

Will come back and post a pic :smile: in a month or two

14. I think that's what Jamie meant, it's more about the quality of the map and the trust you have that your mapper is decent. If a car has been mapped prior to your ownership, it's always worth getting the car on a RR to get a quick health check and to make sure the AFR is still within safe limits. You will quickly know then if there is an issue to look at.

Mircea likes this.

15. Is there any way to measure the AFR without a third bang in the downpipe? (or am i missing something, as said earlier, noobie to renault here)

16. I am pretty sure they use a probe up the exhaust on a RR. Relying on the OEM sensor isn't really all that accurate, least of all on ones that are years old! If you want to measure you would need to install a wide band but I think you can use the bung already fitted post turbo/pre-cat.

17. ...will definitely check the compression in a Renault dealership and of course will add this AFR test, though I honestly don't think a dealership will do this

18. The other aspect is, unless you know the quality of the remap, I would rather go for car with a standard Renault map at that mileage and just pop in a decent remap later. You have a known baseline to work from, torque has been limited to stock, less stress, easier to quantify, less risk (in theory).

19. Case can be closed, after roaming Europe for a white one, all being either with previous damage or with bad engine compression...got one locally, almost new, love it.

Now on...to LED bulbs :smile:)

Nigelo likes this.