Spare wheel advice

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Chris Downing, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Hey I’m looking at putting a spare wheel in the car as it don’t have one, can anyone give me the size I need to fit over the brembos with the space saver wheels thanks.

2. might help if we know what car you have..... Do you get a lot of punctures?

3. A Megan’s RS no punctures just in case I work abroad and just don’t fancy being stuck on a cold night without one

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Get a full size spare wheel, I have a Cup wheel in mine as a spare with a cheap tyre on as a get me home. Wouldn't bother with a spacer saver etc as if you get a front one you would have to swap the rear wheel onto it then stick the spare on the back due to the brakes

5. Mk 2 or 3.....

6. 2014 car I’ll have to get a 19 as that’s what’s fitted as long as a 19 will fit in the boot

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You don't have to get a 19 if its just for a spare tbf, Just get whatever you can find cheapest imo.

8. Thanks but the question still is what is the smallest size to get to get over the brakes 17-18inch

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Its already been answered. A space saver/steel type spare wheel will not fit over the Brembos.

10. The manual also states that a different size wheel cannot be fitted to the front of the car in event
    of a puncture etc if you have a LSD/diff fitted as it knackers the diff . You need to put a rear onto
    the front and the smaller wheel on the rear - pain in the arse at the side of the M62 in the dark .............

11. I agree I’ll just get another 19” rs wheel to be safe as I don’t fancy swapping anything around

12. Had the bad experience today of finding out the space saver doesn’t fit over the brakes. My wife got a puncture and the recovery driver fitted it to the front. She drove a few meters or so which has knackered the caliper. Hoping the diff is ok. How do I check that? What a pain!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Pretty sure the spare has a sticker on it showing how& where to fit. I take it the recovery company are footing the bill for the caliper?

14. I am sure if you have a puncture on the front you have to take a rear off and put on the front and the space saver goes on the rear

15. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

yeah thats correct