1. Anybody running slicks, any recommendations on compounds and where have you found good for service and price etc

2. I'd be very interested in some information on slicks too. For example, is the stock R26 suspension up to the extra punishment?

3. To be honest Steve, it will be a waste of time running slicks, for one you are supposed to have a roll cage fitted (due to the extra grip) also the brakes will be working overtime due to the extra grip. you need to get heat into them for them to work properly don't think standard suspension is really up to the job.

I would go for semi slicks first.

4. Yep, fair enough, thanks Ian.

I'm not really interested in massive power but I do like going round corners quickly so I'm exploring options. Uprated brakes and suspension are not out of the question but I think a roll cage is a step too far.

5. If its your daily then a cage won't be good, a set of Federal 595's are worth trying.
    Suspension upgrade will help whatever you choose,

-Jamie- likes this.
  6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Realisticly to run slicks to their full potential you need heaps of camber and pretty stiff rates, which a lot of people don't bother with and just stick to the same setups that they run semi slicks on.

Used worn slicks don't have a huge amount of overall extra grip compared to fresh new R tyres anyway, it's just brakes and turn in that you really notice them

7. It's my wife's daily. She loves her new car but I think a roll cage would give the game away a bit.

So assuming I go for semi slicks is the best bet to just buy another set of stock wheels or are there lighter weight options that don't mess up the geometry and also don't cost £1400? Getting ET68 or near it is proving pretty challenging.

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Team Dynamics are pretty popular due to their weight and how much they cost.

9. I've seen those mentioned a lot, and I know they fit, my concern is that the max offset is 45. I have no idea if it's a big enough difference to make an impact. Do people use spacers or does 23mm not matter?

10. Because the wheels are wider they fill the arches better than stock Steve, that’s what my mate runs on his.
    And further to previous points it’s already caged has coil overs, is very stiff and has plenty of camber.

11. I'm not concerned that they fill the arches, I was more interested in whether the different geometry affects the handling or tyre wear. Without spacers there's a negative scrub radius I assume, that's not a problem?

12. Steve, i think you miss the offset thing, if you run et45 its like adding 23mm spacer to standard wheels, et45 will stick out further than standard wheels do at the moment.
    I used team dynamic 1.2 8x18 with et45 and never had a problem with them, then i bought a couple of sets of 1.3 8.5x18 with et55, they also worked without ant issues.

13. scrub radius really is only an issue on full lock, although i never felt there was an issue with either.

14. You're right I got the offset the wrong way round, apologies.

I only learned the term 'scrub radius' two days ago, and although I understand what it means I have no idea how it affects performance or tyre wear. If you gents say those wheels are fine that's good enough for me.

15. No need to apologise :laughing::laughing:

I ran my 225 with the 8.5j td1.3's for 3+ years mostly on track and driving to and from, if you can go for the 1.3's as you can get 255 35 18 tyres on them for that extra bit of grip.

16. Interesting, the 1.3 8.5Js are 2 kilos heavier than the 1.2 8Js, the extra width more than compensates for the extra weight?

I'm coming from motorcycling where unsprung weight reduction is the holy grail, sorry if I'm asking obvious questions, this is all new to me.

17. You are not competing in a competition so your not really going to notice it, get lift off over-steer mastered and it will more than compensate for a little extra weight :laughing::laughing::laughing:

TD 1.2 and 1.3's are very strong so if you end up running curbs it wont bend wheels, worth the extra weight in my opinion.