265 Skittish handling

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by ghosty0101, May 7, 2017.

1. I've had my 265 for about a month now and after a few spirited drives I've noticed that when you get above 60mph or so the car seems to become slightly skittish. It feels like the back is wiggling around even in a straight line or going round a gentle bend. I've got some sticky tyres on the front and some fairly crap ones on the back which came with the car. Could this be the cause or do I need to look into suspension and alignment being properly adjusted? The car feels great in the short twisty stuff but it's just the longer sweeping bends and straights where it feels unsettled. It's got the cup suspension and is on the 19 inch wheels if that makes any difference? TIA

2. How crap? You could always rotate tyres to confirm your suspicions.

3. Not un-driveable just not confidence inspiring. For example I went round a fairly gentle long bend on a dual carriageway earlier at 70 and it feels like it digs in and then wanders and digs in and so on. It's really odd.

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

What tyres are on the back?

Almost certain to be shite tyres if they are cheapys

5. Nexens on the back. Didn't feel like that when I got it, but it had the nexens on the front and some pretty worn p zeros on the back, so the p zeros went and I've put the nexens on the back and some ps4's on the front. Just a case of waiting until pay day to get another pair for the back. Hopefully that should sort it. Didn't know if it could be anything else like suspension that needed sorting

6. Sounds like my roundabout-skittishness issues a little... 4x new AD08r cured that! No major reason to think it, but wonder if these cars are particularly sensitive to different front/rear tyre pairings.

7. My r26 had odd tyres when I got it and it didn't do it. It felt really planted pretty much all the time. I'm hoping the odd tyres is the cause and I don't need to start fiddling round with other bits! It's such an odd sensation as well, in a straight line the slightest steering input makes the back end feel like it's floating around, almost like aquaplaning

8. Yeah, hopefully it is that simple, or just a little bit of realignment needed. I certainly noticed the Megane felt 'on its toes' coming from a focus RS mk2, which had a much less mobile rear. Sounds like something is accentuating that characteristic a little more than you'd like.

9. Are you 'pushing' the car when this happens? Sound like what I'd describe as having the car on it's 'tip-toes', but to do this you need to be at 9/10th+ which is a bit silly on the road.

Otherwise, it does sound a little like my R26 which had 21 year old Goodyears on. At low speed this felt like you describe, although I had them on all 4 wheels.

As Grumpy above has said, quickly swap wheels front to back and see if the problem changes.

10. Yeah I'll have to try that. I haven't had it at 9/10ths no, my balls aren't big enough and I've only had it a month, and also as you say, that would be stupid on the road. It's goes away when you do push it a bit, it happens more when you're cruising at 70/80 and gets worse as you get faster, which obviously only occurs on straights at a track.

11. Mine felt a little like this when the lower swivel joints were knackered at approx 50k . Creaking noises on slow speed full lock too might help ID this.