Shot to sh1t steering on an R26

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Si271, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Greetings Renault Sport gods!

Help! Please help! I took my toy, (an 057 plate R26 F1), out for a play today, it only gets a maximum of about 4500 miles of fun a year, and all of a sudden the steering feels like sh1te. The hub swivel bearings were replaced, along with wheel bearings a year ago, and still feel good, but today the steering really did feel "off!". It felt very vague, and no real feed back from the wheel at all, apart from when my right foot was planted through corners. Coming out of the corners wasn't much fun with the car wanting to stick in the grooves left by heavy freight vehicles, and then getting skittish. Normally I love the way it handles, but today it was a total bitch! Any ideas as to the potential problem would be very gratefully received! [emoji848]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2. for me the main culprits where the steering bush,and above all a geometry reset..it was all over the place even though i had never bumped the wheels.

3. Thanks for the reply bro! I had the tracking done after an incident with a tiny curb stone right on the apex of a corner. It wrecked a Michelin PS tyre, ended up with a very large bulge on the outside, so ended up changing both fronts, and as I said, tracking was done too. All was good for months, up until today. All of a sudden it's gone to rat shit! I've started thinking maybe it's time for new uprated bushes all round, new track rod ends, drop links etc, just replace the bloody lot! I love the car, when it's good it's fantastic. When it's bad it's an expensive pain in the.......!!!

4. exactly..mine had also all gone to pot.
    All my bushes looked fine on a ramp..no perishing.
    So i went for lower and upper droplinks,steering rack bush and geometry..

hopefully they have well calibrated equipment at the place you used,i have seen several guys get awful set ups with badly calibrated equipment.

For all your steering bits use the Mr auto sticky thread on here,in the steering section.
    Vastly cheaper than Renault,but all made by the same people as OEM.

5. Nice one! Cheers for that, it's much appreciated getting advice from other enthusiasts that know what they're talking about! Thanks bud!