275 Semi Slick recommendation

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by RobbieR, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Hi All,

I just got some track rims with pretty shagged A048R’s and will be needing to replace them shortly.

What’s everyone’s recommendations?

1. Toyo R888R’s - I can get these reasonably cheap.

2. Nankang AR1 - can get these about the same price as R888R’s

3. Nitto NT01’s - can get these about the same price again

4. Yoko A050’s - very expensive, twice the price of the R888R’s. Worth it?

5. Hankook Ventus TD’s - still chasing a price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. I run Federal 595 RS-r's have been for a couple of years now, very pleased with them and half the price of R888's at least.

3. Yeah, over used Federals, AD08R’s and Cup 2’s.

But now I’ve got a second set of rims I’m keen for proper semi’s not that 180 treadwear stuff haha

4. Sorry for the off topic, but could you give us some feedback about cup2 vs ad08r ?

RobbieR likes this.
  5. AD08R’s felt better under hard braking for me. I never got the rear unsettled with the AD08R’s but with the Cup 2’s it was a bit squirmish, nothing crazy but felt more unsettled.

Lateral grip was nothing in it, and my lap times were within 0.4 of a second so nothing in it.

AD08R’s would be my pick but as I have a 275 with 19 inch wheels technically the AD08R’s aren’t load rated at 91Y, so that’s why I moved to the Cup 2.

6. the Cup 2 is a fantastic tyre but in only one condition: It needs heat, at which point it will outperform the AD08R.

Finding that condition in UK is not easy on public road so you're not often getting best out of what is predominately a track tyre and it will squirm around.

The AD08R will perform better at lower temps down to around 3-4 deg then it too starts to fall over

7. AR-1 would be the choice out of that list from a price/performance perspective.

They're faster than R888R and much cheaper than A050's.

8. In terms of sidewall stiffness and steering response, which is better?

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

What tyre size and suspension are you running?

Most of those tyres need camber and stiff rates to get the most out them, If your still on stockish suspension id be looking at others.

RobbieR likes this.
  10. Nankang ns 2r -£85
    Nankang ar1 - £236
    Toyo 888r - £165

I've always wondered how prices can vary so much.

11. I've used r888r and ar1s not a massive difference to me. R888r seem to go off when quite worn. Slightly less grip on the ado8r but they last longer. I tend to mix tyres front to back and have had khumo v700 on the rear then ado8r and on the front i have used a lot of r888r this last year. Of the two i buy the ones that have the best deal at the time and order a couple of sets. Medium compound on the rear to help it move a bit more

12. So I’m in Australia, and my comments were all relating to Track driving with those tyres. Agree it’s harder to get the Cup 2’s on full grip on the street, were AD08R’s work better from cold.

Car is Megane 275 with stock Cup Trophy suspension.

I can actually get the R888R’s for the same price as AR1’s, and cheaper than AD08R’s, so I’m gonna try them I think.

As mentioned I have a second set of 18inch rims for the rubber, as the 19 inch Turini gets expensive on there now.

Track rims (Tibors) below. 861600b91c05e8c40d21bc6661a1d2e1.jpg

13. What tyres you thinking?

14. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

With little to no camber and stock suspension it would have to be AD08R's or Cup 2's, You will just ruin the shoulders on the proper R tyres with stock geo, I ran 03G's for a bit with stock suspension and it killed the outside edges very quickly

15. Yeah but it also kills the Cup 2’s and AD’s already.

I have a second set of rims, so the whole idea is I can wear the edges to the cords and no dramas because those tyres will be track only :smile:

I’m changing to PS4S’s on my 19 Turini’s for daily use.

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It's not about wear though, you can't work a proper R tyre on soft stock suspension with little to no camber. Trust me I've been there and done it, you just overheat the outside of them and waste the tyres

17. That is a valid point. But I’ll try them anyway and see what happens.

On another note,I reckon the 275 Cup suspension isn’t too bad for stock though? Stiffer than an Evo X final addition for example. It’s the camber that’s the issue.

18. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It's well damped but it's still soft, body roll is exacerbated even more with sticky rubber

19. I have a set of 245/40 18 AR1s for my Trophy-R, which I used for the first time on track last Friday. They felt pretty good. Ambient temperature was moderate (18C-26C) and I did my best time mid-morning (around 20C), Tyre temps were pretty even across the surface (60C-55C outer edge to inner l/h front, which works hardest). I’m going to check alignment later this week. Running the Ohlins at recommended -5/-10. Was going to play a little with them, but the car felt good at that setting.

RobbieR likes this.
  20. The tyre of choice on 18" rims at the Ring is the Dunlop Direzza DZ03G and they are a fantastic dry weather tyre.

21. What pressures did you run cold Timbo?

I’m going with the Toyo R888R as can get them for $1000 a set fitted. Also road legal which is a nice touch.

22. Started at 28psi and kept them to around 32psi. AR1s are also road legal; just under $950 f&b

Good price on the R888Rs — haven’t seen them at that price! Let us know how you go with them.