Running slicks

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Poppaboost, Aug 27, 2018.

1. My mates thinking of running full slicks on his track r26.
    Has anyone had any problems with oil/ fuel starvation from increased lateral G force from this or do the standard tank/ sump have baffles in them?

2. Not needed.

Quite a few have been running slicks for years. Although you do want to keep the tank at 1/4 or more as a general rule.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  3. I have only ever had a fuel problem at Spa, around Stavelot with less than 1/3rd of a tank of fuel i had fuel starvation, never had a problem anywhere else, i only run semi slicks but 255 wide but have seen 1.1g + when mid corner.

4. Cheers guys, no oil problems then?

5. Not through hard cornering anyway, just make sure it's the right level before you start :laughing:

Mikey4410 likes this.
  6. I check mine before any track driving, my mates not so mechanically minded I have to do it for him, he only knows which way round to hold a screwdriver because one end hurts his hand :tearsofjoy:

Mikey4410 likes this.
  7. Hahaha love that ⬆️

8. If you are running a standard sump and really pushing with decent track tyres you will definately be seeing oil surge to some degree, the problem you have is you will have no idea it is happening because you will not have any facility to log oil pressure. I was using a Syvecs on my Impreza and one of the many parameters logged was oil and fuel pressure. I had a very very good large capacity baffled sump Which worked well but when the car hooked up on a hot lap and I got things right I was seeing instances of oil surge these are only fractions of seconds but the affect is cumulative. It's not so bad on a race engine used for sprints/time attack type events as they are pulled and refreshed every couple of years but on a Road car you won't know what it's doing to the bottom end or when it's happened because you have no way of seeing it.

9. NJH

NJH

By slicks I assume one really means the 60 to 100 quid sets of used BTCC slicks?

10. Yeah those ones.

11. pulling 1.3 g on Nangkang AR-1's (RS250) see video - no problems with fuel starvation

12. Fuel surge is the least of your worries.

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

There's been several VLN spec Meganes running slicks for years with no issues with engines letting go due to oil issues.

Keep it topped right up and away you go. Many of them that run slicks don't even have setups that are setup properly to fully utilise slicks anyway...

14. So I am thinking of running slicks as well. I can get 240 or 250 profiles tyres. What rims are people running with what profiles?
    Any advice would be great.
    Car is a 250rs

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You'll want 9j to run those properly. Any wider in terms of tyre size and you'll need some 10s,ie the current BTCC sizes

16. What et would i need? 35?

17. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

42 lowest on a 9j

18. NJH

NJH

Yeah the current BTCC slicks are huge, I have heard people talk about them on here but I am surprised they fit on the cars.

19. Current ones are 265 "tread width", so effectively they're wider than that. Probably 5-10mm wider.

20. Having done some googling I think I can get away with 8.5 rims with 240s. I know 9s would be better. My tyres rub the arches already I think so might be a squeeze. I am also thinking of moving to full btcc pads disks and 6 pot AP calipers. Anyone else done this and is the performance increase massive or just a bit better?
    I am currently running reyland big brakes with 1.11

21. Slicks and proper race semi slicks are numbered differently from normal tyres for example I have a set of Dunlop X22 semi slicks which are 220x640x17 the these are very roughly equivalent to 225x45x17 but the actual tread contact area is prob slightly greater than a 225 road tyre

22. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You got any wider 17 slicks lying about?

23. No mate the series I was racing in before I broke the car I was restricted to a list 1B tyre so was running medium R888's 245 width in practice and a 225 soft compound R888 for the one lap final.
    There are slicks and slicks, the compound is the critical factor no point buying a slick designed for a 30 lap race if you are intending doing track days and doing say 10 lap stints and same pointl as buyingba soft compound Avon for example that will go off after 3 laps.

24. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

SLS I assume?

I'm on AR1s for now as that's what I was gonna run for it as well but fancy trying some slicks for trackdays

25. Yes Jamie I was doing hills and sprints but then done 3 seasons of SLS, was in class A with the Impreza.

26. Apologies if this is the wrong place but I am about to get a set of I preza wheels modified to fit the Megane so I can run my 17" tyres. These are 8J x 17 ET48. I just need the bore increased to suit the Megane but will these run ok with no clearance issues on a 235 tyre.

27. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Shouldn't be an issue, check clearance with caliper bolts, some wheels catch and others don't. I have smaller bolts on mine as the 17 TDs were a bit tight clearance wise

28. Shit and I thought been a gas fitter was complicated. Tyre and fitment numbers look like gobbledygook to me lol

29. I will check the rim widths and ets on all my sets of wheels and then get some 240 slicks to see if they clear the arches and will report back. If all good will buy a few sets

30. I'm on the market for second pair of wheels that will fit slicks for track days, but I'm having hard time deciding what will fit Megane MK2.

265 used slicks from BTCC would be ideal as they are widely available, but I didn't see anyone running them on MK2.
    Did anyone managed to fit them?

I'm also looking at the ex clio cup slicks with 17" wheels on Megane MK2. Does anyone run those, are they any good on Megane or any reason why not to go for 17"?

I spoke with a few guys at track days and they said that max you can fit on MK2 is 250 640 18 slicks with 8.5Jx18" 5x108 ET50 or ET55 wheels.

Others recommended slicks 245 (or 250) 640 18 will work with 10mm spacers on front with Team Dynamics 1.2 8Jx18" 5x108 ET45, which correlates with the above.

Any advice on what slick sizes and wheels you've tried on MK2 would be great!