250 RS250

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by JP27, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Hello, i am new to the page but looking to buy an RS250 in the near future and just wondered the reliability of the engines? Looking on auto trader the highest mileage RS250 i can find only has 91K on the clock, can these engines go further (obviously given that they are serviced regularly) or do problems tend to happen when they reach this mark? I know every car has its own problems just ideally not wanting to buy one with 70k on the clock if in 2 years/20,000 its going to end badly.
    Thank you in advance! :smile:

2. Meant to be bullet proof but mine threw a rod writing the engine off at 71k and now stuck with an expensive lump on my drive because the engines are really rare and expensive. I might be unlucky, I haven't heard of many blowing up at all

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

3. Mines on 95k with no problems (fingers crossed) Jamie on here has one on well over 100k and there’s a guy on Fb with a mk3 on over 160k.
    Like any car it’s the luck of the draw.

If it’s been serviced and maintained regularly then there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be trouble free.

High Mileage isn’t the be all and end all on modern cars and the MK3’s are built a lot better then Renaults of old.

4. I don't understand why they wouldn't be long lasting we are not talking about a Mazda rotary engine. Its a conventional engine that's been around for many years and has been if anything, improved for this Mk3 generation. Its just being a performance car and a car that gets tracked a lot wouldn't help so be on a look out for its history of use and type of owner your buying it from.

Mikeyjp likes this.
  5. They do, even the most reliable of cars on the market have lemons.

6. Some people just flap about nothing, I think op is still stuck 1970

Hutch likes this.
  7. Hi guys out of interest how much do you guys think I can sell a 2010 rs250 73k and FSH with a knackered engine for? I can't afford to get it fixed as I've just bought a house. Thanks

8. I was born in the 80s :smiley:

9. Yeh JP27 i hope this comment doesnt deter you buddy haha. Cmon Jaime wrong thread.

Mikeyjp likes this.
  10. Impossible to say without knowing what is wrong with the engine, and what spec the car is

11. No these comments didn't put me off at all and am very happy to say that i did infact buy one

nebz250 likes this.