RS Megane 225 as a commuter?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Skeeter, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Firstly, Hi all! I'm new here.

I've recently moved jobs and need to sort out a second car for commuting. I'm currently doing it in my Clio 172 track car and its painful. Plus I can't track the Clio as I need it for work so can't afford for it to break and be off the road.

I've looked around at quite a few options, and this morning I was pondering about what I could get for under £4k that has leather, cruise control, climate control, Xenons, some additional toys, supportive seats, and isn't a dull boring (Mondeo :wink:) to look at. Then suddenly it hit me, a Clio 182!

But my Clio is a bit small, I'd like a bigger car, so then I though about maybe an RS Megane!

I've driven the Clio for 4 years, but I know very little about the Megane (the big bum version). Do they follow the Clio in terms of spec in that the RS comes with leather and all the toys as standard? I'd be after a non Cup version as I'm looking for comfort not sport (as I will be keeping the Clio).

So, firstly, am I mad for wanting to commute in an RS Megane? I will be doing anywhere from 5,000 to 15,000 miles a year. And if not, can I get one worth owning for under £4k?

What are they like for maintenance? Do they follow the Clio in needing a ~£600 belt change every 5 years? And how are the gearboxes? Still a liability? Then what about the consumables such as tyres and general servicing? Is it going to be expensive to keep what I assume will have to be a high mileage Megane on the road?

And finally, trim. What should I look for? Are there Cup Packs like there are on the Clio's? What versions should I look out for (from an affordability perspective, not a performance one)?

Thanks!

2. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

you would be fine in a ph2 cup for commuting mate but 4k would be a push you also need somthing with Lux pack if you want leather and climate. having said that a well looked after ph1 could be had for that money but make sure it's a good un :smile:

3. Thanks.

Whats the difference between a Ph1 and a Ph2? And when did the Ph2 come out?

Are Climate and Leather not standard on the 225 like they are in the 182 (ignoring the Cup)?

4. Daz

Daz

A non modified one is quiet as you like on a long journey - obviously is you start playing with the exhaust you might be introducing unwanted noise at certain levels in the rev range.

My midbox chop is as quiet as a mouse at 80mph.

5. I commute in a megane and do 8k a year, it's pretty good tbh. You just need to accept the high fuel cost and tyres, which at the moment are lasting me about 10k miles. Plus if your running late it's pretty easy to jump people when the lights go green....bonus ;D

6. Mines a daily! 29.1 mpg, it wont budge any higher what so ever ('urban' driving). One thing to add onto daz' comment, a back box chop is louder than the ktr 3" system not by much though :smile:. Dead quite if you drive it like a granny, induction kit is very loud though.

7. Have you looked at the diesel version?

8. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Im using a 175 DCi as a daily driver. Only picked it up the weekend just gone. Getting around 40mpg on motorway trips, not done much 'round town' driving yet.

9. My r26 is a daily driver love it to bits, doing around 300miles a week. Other than brakes, tyres etc she's been great. I came from a 182 which I loved but needed a bigger car for a growing family. It's a much nicer car to drive on longer journeys and goes like stink too.

Don't be put off by higher mileage cars as long as they have been looked after. Mine has just gone past 85k with nearly all of that been at stage 1. They aren't especially cheap to run i.e. petrol and consumables but regular maintenance and keeping on top of items when there showing signs of wear are key.

Good luck and happy shopping :-)

P.s that said I've just remembered I bought new discs and pads front and rear and new tie rods and track rods today and there was a tax renewal form on the doormat when I got home!

Beans and water for dinner this month.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  10. Does it come with all the toys and trim? The 182 and the 225 popped onto the radar as they tick the Climate, Cruise, Leather, Xenons, etc boxes.

11. i hate my 182 as a daily the 225 was ok until i messed with it that much it would have been cheaper to ride concorde to work

12. I use mine daily, I have the 5 door lux and ticks every box if u take your time you will be impressed with the mpg really and when you want to go it will will keep with the r26 just the same

13. I've got a 5dr 225. It's just used as a normal family car in the week. Then I get it at weekends. Lol.

14. My 225 Cup, is used as a daily (roughly 40 miles per day) , get around 33-35 mpg on the duel carriageway sitting at 65mph into & back from work, and around 27ish around town.

15. Use my 225 as a daily. 3" turbo back system with no back or silencers! If your keeping the revs low then its actually not too bad!

16. I use my 225 Lux as a daily and do aprox 22k miles per year. With the cup pack and mods that have been done it can get noisy and uncomfortable on long trips. Just be prepared to have high maintenance and running costs! :wink:

17. I've used my R26 as a commuter since I bought it 2.5 yrs ago. Perfectly capable car to do it in if you can stomach the fuel bills.

18. What MPG are you all getting then if commuting? I get aprox 36mpg going easy over 70 mile round trip daily.... So tempting to put your foot down though, I have to resist lol

19. Using mine for commuting and business miles as well as my Octy vRS. Sod fuel costs. It's all about how quick you can get there. Time is money my friends.

20. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Mines a daily. 20 mile round trip though. Spend about 10-15 minutes sat in traffic each morning too. Also enjoy a sprinted run down the ring road during the comute :wink:

21. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

I wouldnt buy a megane as a commuter, everyday i wish i had something good on fuel and comfy to ride to and from work in.

22. I get roughly 26mpg mainly commuting. Not so bad but fairly horrific compared to my colleagues diseasels

23. I commute to work everyday in my 225, average about 35 miles at most on the motorway, 25 miles around town. Not too bad, running costs can raise a few eyebrows mind. :worried:

24. we all seem to be getting around the same mileage which isn't that bad...could be worse hehehe at end of day the RS megane was and never will be a "sensible" economical motor. It was designed on and for the track :wink: Everyday I come to the same conclusion that despite the running, maintenance and constant issue costs the Megane RS is a really good fun hot hatch that never fails to put a smile on your face. Is soooo much better than other boring alternatives.... lol

25. Mines a daily runner and I've had it for 2 years now, apart from servicing and the odd exhaust mount or track rod end it's been nothing but a pleasure! Sure there are more economical and sensible cars about, but even now I look forward to jumping in the motor and always puts a big smile on my boat race :smiley:

26. use mine for commuting 25 miles round trip, fuel computer says 31.6mpg on this tank :tongueout: that's with the occasional blast on the overtaking lanes :wink:

27. Took it steady in mine from Leeds to Essex last week. Managed 48mpg because I drove like a fanny and timed my journey well.
    Caned it back in traffic and the combined total was 44, giving a return MPG of 40.

Who needs a diseasel??

28. I have never seen such figures! Did you have a bottle wedged under the accelerator or something??

29. wow those figures are a little optimistic me thinks... best i have seen in my R26 is 35mpg but im not really that bothered as its not what i brought it for, i used to get around 48 in my dci 175

30. Haha nope, just very steady driving to see what it was capable of, helped out by quite a few 50mph zones on the m1

qy4u3eha.jpg

31. They figure to be fair. I did just over 500 miles on a single tank

32. Nooo, Photoshop :wink:

33. Haha I'm not that good!

But seriously, just over 210 miles there on a clear motorway sat on the cruise and avoiding braking.

34. im not saying you are making it up but sorry im not convinced you can get that mpg figure from a 225/R26 unless your whole journey was down hill:wink: ive had a couple of R26's and had times where ive driven like a granny and believe me i can and got no where near that figure..

35. Well I'm heading to St. Albans and Northampton next weekend so I'll see what I can achieve then. Trust me, this was a normal journey with careful driving

36. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Most i've had out of my dci 175 is 45mpg, that was driving like a grandad on a 600 mile round trip.

37. My R26 is my daily and I only do about 140miles a week :smile: average about 26mpg as a lot of my journeys are short and in traffic

38. Regularly averaging over 40mpg now on mainly motorway trips

39. Im quite looking forward to this. I was averaging between 15 and 18 in the scoob most days..

Roll on her arrival...