RLink firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Tony Fonda, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Videos on Youtube have recently emerged out of Romania, showing Android Auto, Waze and RS Monitor retrofit on an RLink:

I contacted the poster on the email address provided (servicerenault2017@gmail.com) a couple of days ago, The q&A below is a summary of our exchange.

He/she claims to be legit. Highly reluctant to disclose any info. Says its a simple firmware upgrade. Cost c.€140. Renault warranty will be void.

What do you guys think?

Q: How much? / why so much?

Reply:
    " The fee is 100 euros and it would be sent to Romania, unless you can come here with the car. We can use paypal. " "Shipping is around 40 euros up and down, and the risk is minimum, we do this on paypal which is covered completely."

"You own a 10.000 euros car and wont spend 100-euros to change it completely and stop depending on tomtom to issue updates which by the way, cost each 100 euros. Lol. You would have google maps and waze which provide also traffic info which renault also sells you for an aditional 100 a year, so... yes, its pricey."

Q: How?

Reply: "Removing it is not complicated at all. You push up the plastic cover and remove two t20 screws. Thats all"
    "I just modify the firmware to be exactly as the one on an rlink screen with rs monitor. For android auto and siri is the same, firmware modification. Nothing added, its pure coding."

Q: Warranty void?

Reply: no reply at first. I called Renault who said warrant will be void. I then informed the programmer by email about Renault's response:

"Of course they would say that. Wasnt it obvious?:smile:
    Will they check it when you go with the car with other problems? I dont think so, but considering that these cars have mostly expired warranty anyway, being 2015, why would it matter?
    Its up to the client to decide if he wants this mod or not.
    No intervention in the software would be without breaching warranty in any case, so if you want this dont go asking renault about it, of course they would say no.
    You want this, you can have it, but under your own risk. You still have warranty and are affraid to breach it, wait until it expires and get back to me."
    [​IMG]

Q: Can you sell the firmware for us to install?

Reply: "No, I do not sell any firmware. I can do the mod for any of you. Give me a mobile number and we can discuss this further. If you wont, then I would assume you are among those others who are trying to find out how I do it and are not interested in the actual service, so I will stop replying to your emails. Thank you for understanding."

2. sounds iffy

3. Do you think he works for a Dacia/Renault factory and has had some access to the latest firmware? It does sound like its not just an aftermarket solution but the actual Renault solution!

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

If you know your way around then it's do able, there's a guy on here and a couple on the Facebook groups that can do/have done similar. Like the op they all seem to be abroad though

5. My conversation with him was similar. However wanted to charge 150 without shipping and wanted payment up front by PayPal before address was supplied. Was very adamant about not saying price publicly and would not come to UK eve for ten cars. I bailed at this point as there was too many ifs and buts.

6. There are plenty of ROMs for the 2013 Nexus 7 out there. I guess those programmers worked on an off-the-shelf jailbreaking solution widely available on the web...

A shame none has been willing to share it yet in the "open source" spirit.

7. He did provide a his contact details if you need more information:

"We can speak on the phone if you can provide a mobile number.
    I have free international minutes.
    Or even whatsapp.
    My cell is +40746839331"

Kindly post your findings here if you decide to contact him/her.

-Jamie- likes this.
  8. By way of full disclosure, I have now sent the link to this post to the Romanian fellow, inviting him to contribute and address our questions in full transparency.
    In the hope he plays ball - he has a financial incentive to do so.

9. This is definitely possible as R-Link is just an implementation of Android. I can see why the guy wouldn't want to tell people how to do it as he'd be losing out of a revenue stream. I guess one person will have to bite the bullet and send it in for us to know how good it actually is. I'm an Apple user unfortunately which means it's not ideal for me, though I could just buy a cheap android phone for the maps.

Tony Fonda likes this.
  10. He is loosing out on a revenue stream by being iffy as well!

You would expect much more information from a service provider: Transparency on pricing, information on paypal warrantee, detailing the ROM and risks associated with that, a detailed how-to website with a helpline, bugging and after sale service...

Alternatively, it would be easier to sell us new screens directly via ebay or else (with buyer protection) and we can install them and disregard our current screen (or keep it on the side if the new screen goes wrong).

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You havnt seen the cost of a new unit have you then, not to mention if it's like the V1 monitor they are near enough impossible to get hold off from Renault anyway

12. You have to bear in mind that this chap is probably a programmer, not a businessman which might explain the difficulty.

Tony Fonda likes this.
  13. The plot thickens as he has "no time to contribute" to this post. An email sent by him last night (in its entirety) summarising where he stands can be read below. A shame, as many of us are eager for a viable low-risk solution. Let's keep looking - I read on the French Megane forums that a similar solution (MirrorLink) was developed there.

"Iffy you say:smile:
    I read your comment and it amused me.
    Man, I aint obligating anyone to use my service, you want it you can have it, you dont, its not my problem.
    The ebay idea is a good one, I have a bu bunch of monitors around, but consider the price.
    It wont be 100 as for the service for sure. You barely consider this price which is way cheap considering you escape from tomtom yearly updates which cost the same, not to mention escaping live services wit google maps that already have these services provided.
    You own a 20,000 pounds or even more car and are reluctant in spending 100 to get some features that change your multimedia system completely.
    I dont have time for websites for now, but will upload new videos on my youtube chanel with rlink retrofit soon.
    Regards.
    Btw, you ask so many questions about rom, technical details, but you still havent called me or provided a number.
    :wink:"

15. 150 was for RS monitor, he is talking about Android auto.

As I mentioned to you, same as the other person, I asked you for contact numbers to call you and explain everything, but none of you went forward with this, so why complaining now?

You want details, then call me. You know how to reach me. Im tired of replying and giving infos to people that are not serious about anything. I would have to spend a day just to reply all the emails I get. All I asked was some contact numbers to see you are legit, not just some usernames behind a computer that are looking for info and not for the actual service.

So any of you who are serious and really want this, please feel free to contact me and I will give you as much info as I can.

Its a matter of first one who gets my service, then he could share the experience and this post would be obsolete.

Regards.

16. Or you could send one of us a screen for free to try out and report to the community. That's how it is done. It is your duty to gain our trust and not vice-versa.

17. I have repeatedly asked mr Tony for a cell no to give more details, but he keeps refusing, so I am starting to doubt that he is a genuine person and not some other person that is looking for technical details to develop his own solution using mine...

I could offer a solution to send a display that is programmed with Android Auto and RS monitor to a friend of mine who lives in London. Any of you could then meet up, plug it in your car and check if it works or not.

I am not giving away free rlink displays 300 pounds worth on ebay to persons who do not provide minimum contact information.

If you have other questions, you have my details.

Nigelo likes this.
  18. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I don't get what your issue is Tony, he can provide a service. Send him the unit then he sends it back running all the bits you want it to.

Really not sure what the issue is.

@Smoovie, have you had anyone upgrade to the V1 monitor to Rlink? Are the wiring harness the same?

Smoovie2003 likes this.
  19. Thank you for pointing that out.

20. I agree. He shouldn't have to send anything out for free. If you want the product you pay his price...

Smoovie2003 likes this.
  21. Smovie2003. If you need support here let me know [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Smoovie2003 likes this.
  22. Thanks for the support.

I think I can manage though:smile:

23. @Smoovie2003 is it possible to upgrade from the carimat tomtom to the rlink screen you can provide?

24. Yes it is, the car in the video is 2010 and had TomTom carminat navigation which I had it upgraded to Rlink. You have to replace display, radio, usb box and bic if you need it to show the car and sensors when parking (right side icon)and also eco functions.

Of course you also need to rewire the system with new connectors and pinout accordingly.

25. Thanks for info.. Seems like a pretty expensive and big job to do?

26. Well its not the easiest job to be done, but not impossible.

You just need experience and alot of patience:smile:

Parts value go around 600-700 pounds if im not mistaking. Then you can add work fee if you get someone to do it for you...

But I have to say its worth every pence... with Android auto you get google maps and waze which also have traffic info, so its a wanted upgrade.

27. Can someone in contact with this guy enquire as whether he has the expertise to program Recaro seats into these cars as well?

28. Why? When renault can do it?

29. They couldn’t program mine, there is thread on here somewhere with quite a few members trying to program recaro’s into their car without the need to bodge the wiring with resisters and the like.

30. Im only going by my last clio 197, changed the seats, took the car to renault wolverhampton and they configured the ecu, did a safety check on the car. Wouldnt of thought the megane being different.

31. Sadly it’s not that simple on the mk3 megane’s, it would be good if you could find out if this guy could code the seats in properly?

32. Hi Guys,

Did anyone manage to get it sorted as i was to add this features to my car.

33. BLT

BLT

I had this activated on my car last night by someone I know locally. Android auto, mirror link and the iphone one (cant remember what its called) all working. So nice to be away from having to use TomTom now

34. They got Car Play on your R Link system (I assume that's what you mean about the iPhone on)? I didn't think that was possible

35. BLT

BLT

That sounds like the one but I will have a check.......as I only use android and know thats all working. Will update this once I have given it a try

36. BLT

BLT

Had a check and it isn't CarPlay just something called 'SPVR for iPhone' so I clearly miss heard what was said and would seem, like you said, is not possible but being as I'm an android user that's fine with me haha

37. So does the android auto have full blown navigation speed cameras waze etc? Also how would this keep upto date and how much data is used?

38. BLT

BLT

I should think waze will work but I can test all that out tonight.....just haven't had the chance to extensively test it yet. Will let you know the outcome

Keep up-to date? As in the android auto or the car rlink software? Also not sure on data use but should imagine its the same amount if you were just used your phone to navigate? Have to admit since I have an unlimited mobile data plan that doesn't bother me so have checked it or thought about it