250 Replacing hub carrier lower balljoint/pivot bearing

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by hooverphonique, Mar 18, 2018.

1. How much of a hassle is this to press out/in with basic tools, assuming I can get the hub carrier off without problems? I have the replacement bearing already (it's the left one, and it deffo has slack in it, but a bit surprised it is shot on a car with 43000kms on it)..

2. Depends what you mean by basic tools. If you only have a screwdriver & socket set then you will struggle. A basic press should do the job.

3. I suppose I would consider a vice (and perhaps a variety of pieces of pipe and sockets) included in "basic tools", but not a press.

4. I purchased one from ebay for £50/£60 (press), did the job & should be ok for the next time they will no doubt need doing.

5. I’ve done this nearly 10 times in total now. Great design in terms of performance, but terrible in terms of reliability.

Anyway, this is my advice:

Don’t use a hydraulic press, you can end up damaging the hub carrier. I used to use one but didn’t have the right attachments/blocks etc on the press one time and just used a lump hammer and a bar. Turns out it’s much easier that way!

Aaron’s Autos in Derby (who became famous for doing just this job) have also started using a lump hammer because they cracked a Clio 197 upright when doing the upper ball joint.

Have the new ball joint in the freezer ready to go in. Knock out the old one with said lump hammer. Clean up the hole ready. Take new ball joint out of the freezer and fit it into the hub using a large socket (or equivalent) and a bench vice.

The bigger the lump hammer, the better.

hooverphonique likes this.
  6. Just did this today, and looking back at it, I must admit I am really happy I had a relative at hand with a lift/hoist, especially when taking out the three back bolts that hold the lower part of the hub carrier..