250 Relocating OBD port

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Charlie Howard, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Has anyone relocated their OBD port? Where did you put it?

I want to move mine because i like to have a Bluetooth monitor plugged in so I can see things like temps etc on Torque but I can't close the access panel with it plugged in and it's ugly!

2. Leave your car alone lol :tongueout:

Genty likes this.
  3. Charlie Howard

This is functional! :tongueout:

4. What are you fixing first.

Your noisey gearbox, your whining wheel bearing, the puff of white smoke from the rear or you mis matched rear lights lol

Mikeyjp likes this.
  5. Don't forget the rattling engine, airbag fault and faulty cat :wink: Personally I'd scrap it haha
    Don't ever try to sell it on here, you wouldn't want folk looking through your posting history.

6. Charlie Howard

Haha well we think the whine is a wheel bearing instead now we've managed to listen properly while I'm driving, either way definitely not a gearbox.

It is tapping on a cold start but apparently its common and nothing to worry about.

Airbag and cat are both my fault! We got oil in it when we changed the exhaust as some bolts sheared and airbag light has been on since I changed the speakers.

7. Charlie Howard

Definitely not scrap it how dare you!

8. Charlie Howard

:tongueout:

9. What bluetooth unit are you using? Maybe there is a smaller unit available that will fit behind the cover?

10. Charlie Howard

11. I just leave the cover slightly tilted forward, but holds in place, but my dongle might be smaller than yours

12. Charlie Howard

Yeah mine is bigger I guess because I can't close it at all.

I suppose that's cheaper thwn relocating

13. What exhaust you got? Did you get a sports cat in the end? I wanted to do the CGR group buy but everyone stopped replying, despite that we had around 10 people :worried:

14. Your loss, CGR are on the forums not hard to get hold of them...

15. Yes I was in contact with them, and they told me only 2 odd people paid, so the group buy didn't go ahead... Charlie was one of the names down out of nearly 10 of us

16. Charlie Howard

I got a scorpion exhaust but this was months ago on April.

I wasn't aware we were going ahead, last I heard we were waiting on more people but at the moment I'm going to stick with my faulty one lol, at least until next year.

17. T
    There's near enough 10 who's said they're interested, but only like 2 have paid. I was gonna pay but didn't because no one else was replying

18. Charlie Howard

Scorpion exhaust sounds great though

19. Charlie Howard

I got an extension but it still stops me closing it, so relocating is my only option.

20. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Think you'll be on your own there, doubt it will have been done one here.

21. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

22. Charlie Howard

Yeah, that's what I have, the port is basically touching the cover so anything stops it's closing. It shouldn't be too hard, when I change my handbrake I'll have a look as I have to take the centre console off. I'll make a guide if I do it.

23. I know the thread is old, so you may have sorted it already - or lost interest. However, it catched my attention now.

I'm after a slightly different solution, which is to pull a second connector while keeping the original in place. This video from the famous Turkish youtuber Bugra explains it all:

It has the best of both worlds: It allows to retain the original OBD2 plug functional in the original position - and keep the cover closed, while providing an additional port to plug your favourite OBD2 gadget on it, and hide it from view if you wish. I'm definitely after this mod.

The downside of this mod is that you need to source a second - original - OBD2 connection port, this part that is black and yellow:

image.png

Can anybody post here the OEM part number so I can order it online? I failed to find the reference number in online catalogs like https://partsouq.com/

Thanks in advance for any hint.

24. Charlie Howard

I normally use catcar but I can't find it on there. Might be worth calling your local Renault dealer, they can normally get you the part number, or give RPD a message on Facebook. Interesting Idea though, be nice to keep the Bluetooth diag plugged in all the time and keep that panel closed.