Recommended place for wheel bolts?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by SpookyZeus, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Best idea is to measure one of yours so your sure it's not hard you can see where to measure on the picture on the link I put up for twenty quid it wouldn't be the end of the world if they weren't right IMO

2. Ordered them now as like you say mate only £20
    Thanks

3. M12 1.5 26mm for mk3

4. Cheers mate, that's what I ordered in the end :wink:

5. All fitted and look very good, thanks for the info all

6. Happy to help mate hope your happy with them

7. Received mine today
    Got a spare aswell
    Many thanks will look mucher nicer
    Cheers

8. I think i gog a spare come to think of it

9. I didn't unfortunately

10. Daz

Daz

I felt I should update this thread after quite a hard time getting answers from TPI.

My bolts have been on the car for just under 2 years and are rusty as hell, I to constantly try and care for them, the rest of the car is well cared for, doesn't do much yearly mileage and is well looked after. I argued to TPI that a set of wheel bolts should not be this bad after 2 years and I was told that the last 2 winters have been very bad and that this is the cause?

I argued that this winter has been mild and last year the car didn't see snow so the excuse isn't valid but I got the same reply - albeit a courtesy reduction of a new set, this to me screams fault, if I was confident in my product I wouldn't be dishing out cheap replacements! - I responded by saying I certainly don't feel I can recommend them any more - especially when the standard ones clearly outperform these for longevity! And now I've been ignored.

So there you go :smile:

A lot of the CS lads are reporting the polarised bolts are corroding early too so in my opinion go find another supplier. This isn't like me to comment but to be honest I think it's rubbish they cost so much and don't last - coupled with the borderline insulting e-mails.

11. These are very good quality tuner nuts and maybe an alternative to the tpi nuts if people are having issues. CNt comment on what they'll be like in 3 years etc as I've only got mine a couple of weeks back.

12. The ebay ones that i pit up are half the price of tpi so there bot as bad to replace but id ecpect a good product to last longer especially if it hasnt seen bad weather

13. Bought some of the black nuts of eBay , went down to the local wheel place to get them fitted and they advised against it , there was a foucs rs in front of me struggling to get the nuts back out as they round easily apparently. Just wondering if anybody else has had any issues ?

14. No problems here took 4 off after a couple of weeks to fit locking nuts on and they came off ok. They are well built and aren't soft metal for sure, I personally couldn't see them rounding otherwise I'd of sent them back pronto.

15. I have had my wheels on an off a few time and have no problems

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I have nut covers on mine as well, Too tight to pay for TPI bolts and would never run cheap ebay bolts but each to their own

17. High five the tightness haha.

Thing is you have to weigh up the necessity of spending X amount on certain things. I mean my OEM bolts are fine just a little tarnished after nearly 10 years. Cover them up with black bolt covers and no one will know the difference but they look smart. Simples. :smile:

18. My wheels are still on several months and a track day (much of which was spent at angles other than parallel to the rear wheels i.e. sideways) later so the ebay bolts I got seem to have stood up well enough and they're supposedly TUV approved.

I get why people would be concerned though about quality.

19. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I have seen cheap eBay bolts and nuts fail under both heavy and light use on the road and track hence my reservations to use any myself

20. If the bolt is a 17mm hex then yes

21. So here's a weird thing. I've never got around to putting my black wheel nuts on, as the car was in for a service i asked them to do it for me. They in turn tried but said the M12 x 1.50 28mm were to long and wouldn't fit. Whats that all about?

22. I suppose technically they are over OEM spec, would be surprised if 2mm extra would actually be an issue though. They probably wouldn't want to fit a part that doesn't match OEM dimensions though just in case it did cause an issue.

23. That's strange Paul, mine were fitted a few months back, without a problem by R-Sport in Wimbledon, I know I ordered the same bolts as you as well.....

24. Yeah i dont know if the garage are just a bunch of boneheads or i shouldn't be fitting them. Everyone else seems ok with them?

25. I struggled with mine being like that the ends of the threads in the front hubs were full of rust I had to get a m14x1.5 tap for my r26 not sure if mk3s are m12 and re thread them cleaning them out then they went straight in

26. collar.gif
    none of these after market wheel bolts seem to have protection collar stop bolt grinding into wheel when pinching up ??

27. I was just wondering this myself earlier today (triggered by putting on the winter wheels yesterday).

28. This guy seems to have some with separate collar which might fit the mk2, maybe with a bit of shortening.. it's specified as posting worldwide, but then they exclude most european countries... weird..