Recommend me some pads

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Nicholas Weston, Jan 30, 2018.

1. You'll use 2 bottles.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  2. What would be the symptoms of air in the clutch line,just a spongy feeling

3. Hi Grant
    I can tell you from experience value for money you cant beat them, i have paid nearly £400 for a set of "good" pads and yes they were good, but maybe only 5% better than these, Martin (Sunnylunn) put me onto these a couple of years ago, tried loads since and have just bought a set for when the ones i have now need replacing.

4. Yes and you will struggle to get it in gear, first or reverse mainly, if you think there is air in there press the peddle down and hold it there for about an hour, or do what i did and wedge it down with a stick, air will rise up and when you let the peddle up it will push the air into the reservoir and gone.

5. ha ha..yes,my full fluid flush was only 1 bottle of the same product.

6. Would people rate the PF Zs better that Carbotechs? I was in process of considering the latter when I saw this thread.
    I am looking for pads that will survive Bedford with aggressive bite and are passable on the road.
    So far I have tried :-
    EBC yellows - the car came with these - but they were poor after a low number of track sessions
    RC5+ - consistent - but initial bite and depth not enough for my liking

7. I have not tried the Carbotechs pads, not even sure how much they are but the Z's are around £108 and that is great value for money, they are good, i have tried CL5, CL8's and quite a few others but i am going back to the Z's, i have Endless pads at the moment they were the best part of £400 :cry:

8. They would have to be damn good to beat the carbotech XP8.
    The carbotechs cost £200+ for my R26,but i think they are the best road/track day compromise,with strong cold bite,and excellent resistance to fade.

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Carbotechs are on a different level to Z Rated. If you found the RC5 not that amazing then i think you may be disappointed by the PF pads. I would defiantly give Ian at Carbotech a shout for some XP8's. Ive ran his pads in various compounds for the past few years on mine only changing for something else recently.

10. And what would they be :grinning:

11. Jamie - I read in one of the threads that you were running XP10s, and bearing in mind I want much more aggressive pads, is it worth thinking about XP12s? Looking at the Carbotech info there is still more scope to go higher before they say dont use them on the road. BTW I am running sticky RSR tyres........

12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ive ran 8/10/12/20's. The 10's are the best balance and are still very aggressive but eat discs and ruin wheels and paint. I certainly wouldn't want to go any more on RSR tyres anyway, Even the 8's were fairly decent with good rubber, Could still trigger the ABS on DZ03's if you tried hard enough with them

13. Did you run the 10s front and rear?

14. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

No, 10's would be way to aggressive on the back and you wouldn't really get the heat into them.

Ian recommended the DS2500's on the back but i ran them with several rears from EBC yellows which were pretty decent as a rear pad, Up to PF97's which were mega but ate discs and ruined wheels when cold.

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Id say they will still be a bit much. Maybe give the Bobcat a try on the rear if you really want to try an uprated rear. Ian advised against running any sort of XP compound on the back

Your tyres are going to limit you as well to be fair, Along with suspension unless your running a pretty sorted setup.

17. 'Bobcat'? is that a spellcheck error - otherwise you've lost me !!!
    Car is standard set-up, although think it may be chipped because it seems quick compared to most 'normal' stuff at Bedford.

18. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ah it appears Carbotech have changed the name, They now look like they are known as 1521 and are a bit more gentler than the XP line.
    Id be wary of going to aggressive then if its just on the standard setup, You will struggle to work them properly on the softer OEM rates and damping so will find the rears will just be more inclined to lock up as it gets light under heavy brakes.

19. Ok. Thanks for the insight - really useful. Will call Carbotech to get some pads on order. think I must have been looking at the US site as 1521 listed, but still Bobcat 1521 on UK site - apologies.

20. Update: Spoke to Ian at Carbotech UK and ordered XP10s for the front. Not cheap ! Just considering what to get for rears - he recommended DS2500s to me too. Think I might go for that unless anybody's got a better recommendation - I'm looking for the right balance between helping the front and not locking up !

21. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Give them a go, you'll probably find your tyre and suspension setup is what's limiting the brakes now

22. I hope so !

Btw: Have you considered/tried additional cooling on yours? Took calipers off for overhaul and dust seals were baked !

23. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yup, makes a difference and pads wear evenly instead of the inner wearing more due to the heat, also run some Ti shims to keep the heat out the seals and calipers f6a763921d5eca241a41f3a128c97f92.jpg fc4a318d081a792105b165fff990bee0.jpg 5cbcc78e331be67f5b3600b3db6f278b.jpg b7bfb5aca4e623a2307c868998b0045f.jpg 38c609d553167d6a2c1df67012605a1e.jpg

24. fk..those brake disks have been through some serious heat cycles!

25. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

What can I say, I use them proper on track lol

26. My brother's mk2 discs look the same after a few days.

27. yes with the Carbozzz you'll need some sort of heat dissipation as they themselves generate considerably more heat than a less effective pad to the point the standard disc will start to groan (literally) and become ineffective. You might think its the fluid or the pad overheating, but its the disc face itself. The upside is of course (depending on cooling efficiency) much greater retardation than pretty much any other off the shelf pad

I'm running Endless and they're another step up from carbozz, generate even more heat and give the disc a proper seeing to but the massive stopping power is difficult to describe

28. Looks like I might be getting my Dremel out too !

Jamie - great pics btw.

Bobsan - you running extra cooling too?

29. Yes, no choice really, with just couple pad level upgrades it’s easy to push the disc into heat range it was never design for

30. How are the stock pads on track? I've just had new front discs and pads fitted (rears are fairly new too) so just curious.

Would PFZ fronts and EBC Yellowstuff rears be a good setup for a daily driver with the odd trackday thrown in?

31. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Stock pads really aint too bad if you manage them and run decent fluid really but a slightly uprated pad would be wise.

32. others will disagree,but i found the yellowstuff to be awful pads in the rear of my R26.
    Would groan after 1 or 2 high speed stops.
    really no better at all than standard.
    Maybe it varies on car to car.

33. those PZF's are a half decent pad and should work well on street car plus bit track but much depends on driving style, if you're a last minute braker might want to keep your lap times around 15mins.

In offering advice I myself would never use the words EBC and brakes in same sentence, but thats just me, they've been around while so some folks must keep buying them.

Skornogr4phy likes this.
  34. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

EBC Yellows are more than upto the job on the back end of the MK3. Decent upgrade over stock in that they last longer and offer a bit more bite but not too full on like some others

35. Jamie. Where do you get the TI shims from

36. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I have some Yperion Titanium ones, Came from Russia via eBay, They do several thickness', IIRC i run 1mm shims but they do thinner ones as well, I can barely get mine in with new pads so had to shave the pad but the thinner ones should go in easier.

37. It really does seem to depend on the car.
    I had redstuff years back on my integra...wouldnt fade at all.Even when the disks turned blue with heat.
    But i had yelowstuff on my puma a few years back..and took them off in weeks.
    Wouldnt do 1 hard stop without dangerously fading to nothing,as well as eating the disks.

I got better stopping power from standard pagid road pads than them!

Thought i would try them in the rear of the R26 a few years later..thinking`well its only rear braking`
    Normal braking..fine...hard braking 1 or 2 hard stops....groaning like mad..have to feather the brakes for fear of fking the rear disks.

38. God there not cheap. £75

39. Thanks. I’ve read good things about the PF Z rated pads.