Recently bought a 265 Cup for hill climbing in the road going category

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by George K, Sep 6, 2018.

1. i have been competing for several years, firstly in an Integra DC5 which was very successful., then got too clever for my own good and didn't so well in a Cayman S. The Megane was bought a couple of months ago and I am deliberately running it in standard form this season before deciding on mods. So far am very pleased with it even in road tyres - only snag is going from 2nd to 5th when trying hard. Am taking it to a well respected rolling road next week to get a true idea of power and torque.
    In general any advice much appreciated.

2. Not sure on your class restrictions but a good LSD, ECU remap & throw approved semi’s at it regularly is pretty much all u can do in standard road car classes without scrutineers catching on (I’m a scrutineer). Of course a lightweight bucket seat & harness if you don’t have it already & pull any extra weight out u can. The Megane is pretty much unbeatable in road spec classes when driven well.

3. Thanks for your comments. For better or worse in the South West, under ASWMC rules we have much greater freedom in road going. Head and block have to be original -steel rods and crank allowed - induction is free as are different turbos - coil overs are allowed if on original mounting points but spherical joints cannot replace rubber/poly bushes. Carpets and sound proofing can be removed and the use of 1B tyres is permitted. Makes for some interesting competiton, particularly as Elises can run with the saloons and there is not a separate class for 4WD.
    For instance, today at Wiscombe we had two fascinating battles - Golf Mk1 vs Elise and Exige 3.5 vs Evo's circa 600 bhp. All very close and friendly.
    I roughly matched a BMW and a Cayman, which is quite pleasing as still on ordinary road tyres.

4. that's a blast from the past, Wiscombe hill climb, used to go there with the parents 40+ years ago :sunglasses: