265 Rear brake drone?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by MarkRSi, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Rear brakes were binding slightly during the last MOT a couple months ago, so the garage gave them a clean. While this stopped the binding and allowed it to pass, the rear brakes now drone under braking, from very light to even heavy braking pressure. It has improved a bit over the past few weeks but still noticeable. Any ideas chaps? The discs and pads should still have plenty of life left in them.

2. I'd strip them down and clean them yourself, get some clutch/brake cleaner and go bad. Reassemble with a bit of copper grease or anti seize compound depending on the side of fence you sit.

MarkRSi likes this.
  3. Cheers for the quick response. Sorry for the delay haven't been ignoring you, had a crack at this a couple nights ago (much easier than I expected, have stripped bike brakes before but thought it would be a PITA with the handbrake cable/ABS sensors etc.). Used plenty brake cleaner and copper/lithium grease where appropriate. Still droning a little bit but much improved.

Noticed the rear pads have a spring on them, like this https://www.kamracing.co.uk/shop/me...3525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/a/pagid-e1158_2.png which was present on all the pads. Just wondered if there was any other springs/clips or anything that would need to be fitted? The pads seemed a good fit on the caliper regardless (also gave the sliders a clean/grease when refitting).

4. If it's a 265 Cup with slotted discs they can buzz a bit.

5. Not if they're in good order and using oem spec pads. Only time I found they get noisy is if you run more aggressive pads.

Been a while since I touched mine myself but there was nothing else additional on mine ever. I know some cars have shims and plates in there sometimes but the mk3 rears don't. Just the pads.

MarkRSi likes this.
  6. AFAIK it's all standard - the pads have been replaced once but still on the original discs at around 45k miles (never been on a track day and I'm not a heavy braker, or at least I don't think I am haha). That said did wonder if the slots/groves had something to do with it, but then it only started doing this after it's MOT.