250 Radiator Fans not working

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Chawkie, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Has anyone had an issue with the rad fans not working in a 250 previously.

I've not got the car long and the weather is poor but was sitting chatting to a neighbour and noticed the water temp gauge climbing. No rad kicked in.

Sat in the yard at home a while and no fan kicked in. Pic below shows the temp gauge before I turned it off.

I've gone through all the fuses under the bonnet, none blown. Same for the interior fuses.

Thermostat has been changed recently but not related.

Any tips? Where is the temperature switch that should kick in the fan?

Secondly, even with the air-conditioning on, no fan is kicking in. Any car I've had before, if the air-conditioning was on, it usually automatically brought on the fan.

Attached Files:

2. Had the car in with the local Reno garage yesterday. ECU is sending the signal to turn in the fan, relay is also working and fan isn't seized.

Next step is to check a resistor near the fan and take the fan itself off. Whole front has to come off the car aparantly to do it, sound right?

Good few hours labour and the fan isn't cheap from Renault €400 plus vat plus labour is worst case scenario.

Any tips before I drop the car Monday afternoon? Hard to stomach another €800 on a newly purchased car!

3. What a pain! Havent heard of that issue before and I cant seem to find any other reference to it on this site. Wonder what it is?

4. I'm the same, found no reference to it. It's a sickening hit to take on a car that i only have a few weeks but such is life.

Better to find it now than be surprised by steam emitting from the bonnet some day during the summer. Should be sorted by the end of this week.

I'd love to have a proper look myself, but ddidnt have the time to take the bumper off and lights out to have a look.

5. Fuse for the fan on a 250 is in the small separate fuse box behind the passenger headlight.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

GrumpyTwig likes this.
  6. Forgot to update this.

Left the car with the local Reno garage and all sorted. Wiring at the plug for the fan was corroded/damaged so repinned it and all good. Happy i didn't have to fork out for a new fan but also disappointed in myself that I didn't spend the time myself at it but anyway, didn't have the time.

git-r likes this.
  7. Thanks for updating this, could prove useful for others.

I was about to type not to replace the fan until you've established the cause!

Cheap fixes are always the best :smile:

8. Cheapish. Still required a fair amount of labour at the Renault garage to diagnose and fix.

9. Do you know which fuse this is and what size please? Having a similar experience!

10. I think its the 50 or 70 amp one inside the fuse box

JP27 likes this.
  11. Thank you!

12. So had thermostat changed a few weeks ago and temps rose quite high yesterday (not while on the move) while on the driveway letting the car sit for a bit to cool down after a drive, Same symptoms as this thread.

Did an airlock bleed of coolant system earlier which got rid of some air but noticed fans weren’t coming on even when temps peaked so took it for a run and let it sit for a bit again.

same issue, temps rising.

so far:
    Checked fuses behind passenger headlight, none blown and all as they should be

Heat gun temp reading against the thermostat housing consistent against temps from OBD reader so rules out the temp sensor

Even if there was any airlock left, don’t think that would impact fan working/not working

conclusion so far is there is some wiring near/next to the radiator fans with some purple cabling. disconnected and found no current/signal was coming through here which leads me to think:

either ECU is not triggering and telling the fan to come on (seems far fetched and extreme so don’t think it’s this)
    Or it’s the wiring / relay which is playing up a little bit, assuming it’s the right relay i’ve pulled and tested. Doesn’t look to be corroded as OP’s problem was.. time will tell

Will get a garage/auto leccie to investigate and report back in case anyone else has this in future

13. As said earlier fan issues on these are extremely rear so if do find fault would be good for all to know

14. I also have an override switch, just in case the fan does not cut in.

15. Autoleccie had a look yesterday. Many hrs later we have determined fuses are intact, relay itself is working, fan itself is working (bridged connection and working fine not seized) so we reckon the issue is in the wiring between fuse box and relay for the fan (open circuit somewhere along the way)

Leaving the car with him over the next few days to investigate further but pretty confident this is the issue so far

Will keep the thread posted

16. Have you bled the radiator yet ???

17. Yes Ian did that too yesterday at the garage before taking it to the leccie

18. was there much air in there ???

19. No mate the airlock i had pretty much removed all earlier in the week by filling coolant up full with Coolant D and let it get up to temp + let it run for a while while having the cap open with q funnel,

Could see the funnel i put in the coolant cap gurgling away every now and then

what lead me to believe it’s electrical is the fact that even running AC on full blowers for a bit didn’t turn the fan on so went down the auto leccie route

he confirmed fuse is working, relay is working but no live current getting to the fan relay

20. i hope you find the fault soon

21. Been meaning to update this thread.. The issue was in the wiring of the fan between fuse box and relay which meant it was an open circuit

Re wired now and job is a good un

22. nice update and glad all fixed, by any chance did garage mention the section cable where fault way

23. He didn’t and tbh forgot to ask as well.. i was without the car for ages so was quite chuffed and keen to head for a drive home soon as i was given the keys

next time i’m that way i’ll ask him for the thread

24. That’d be good to know as seeing few these now and looking like it’s not easy fix like relay, fuse, stuck fan, sensor etc but pesky dodgy bit wiring that expensive to trace