R26r Carbon Fibre Bonnet Issue

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Rob R26r, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Any r owners who have the cloulding issue or had it replaced under warranty can you pm me your details please.

Many thanks.

Rob.

2. Interested on this one too. Shall we make a mass claim!!!

3. Add me to the claim list please

4. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

I'd love to claim too but it's not on an R lol!

5. mine is ok when the engine is cold, but you can see where its going milky when hot.Stick me on the list please Rob.

6. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Worth a shot :wink:

7. Stick me on please mate

i'll pm you my details

8. Renault are arranging for mine to be inspected, so I'll keep you posted with any developments.:smiley:

9. I've just had a call from the bodyshop that I have to take it to....

" Hello, we are calling about the paintwork that's reacting on your boot lid. "

Something tells me this isn't going to go well :confused:

10. Fantastic. Sounds like when I found out my insurance approved repairs on my 172 included self tappers to attatch the bumper where the brackets had broken. Bodge job.com.

11. give em hell Rob, we're all relying on you : )

12. Took the car to the "Renault Approved" bodyshop on Saturday where they weren't really able to get a decent picture of the problem. So I took a couple of my own to send to Renault

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

That's worse than mine I thought mine was bad!!

14. Was hardly noticeable when I first bought the car so it's gone like that over 8k miles !!!

15. Hell of a lot worse than mine rob mine hardly noticeable to yours

16. Has anyone had success with a heat shield under bonnet?

The seller of mine said he had it replaced under warranty but it is already starting to go slightly. Want to apply something to stop it before it gets worse.

17. i got some gold reflective self adhesive sheet from ebay, not sure if it helps, but it can't do any harm.

18. Yes, this is what I am looking at and have come to the same conclusion.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had some specific success with any product.

19. I did the same, my issues havnt got any worse, I was told the cloudiness is due to the carbon fibre separating from the gel coat due to the heat

heres mine
    [​IMG]

20. There's UV protection you can buy for the exposed surface but I don't know if they work

21. Dan

Dan

22. Does anyone with an R have the issue if they use an engine cover?

23. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Using reflective silver but it's already perishing, need a better vinyl ideally.

[​IMG]

24. Hi mate,

I've got an engine cover as well as the heat reflective tape, mine hasn't got any worse.

25. Hi Martin, hope your well mate. Yeah just wondering really with regards to the engine cover, did you start using one after the problem started? Or did it still happen even though you used one?

Adam maybe getting a bulk order of covers for you all once Renault hopefully sort it.

26. I paid them a visit today to see what they have to offer.

They Had some reflective tape, in roll or sheet, which had a "carbon" type weave to it - nice in gold. Looked ok but the guy there recommended the product you have seen on Amazon would be better.

It has is basically the same stuff as the tape but in silver with a glass-fibre mat backing for extra protection. Got a 1m X 1m for £30 cash.

Will be trying to fit it tomorrow so will take some pics and post them up.

27. I fitted the heat reflective gold tape and an engine cover to mine when I first noticed the issue and it hasn't helped IMO, it's a lot worse. I've been waiting for a call back from Customer Services for the last two days as every time I phone, my case manager is "busy". From info I have received from owners who have been in touch with Renault about this, it seems like "pot luck" if you get it replaced FOC or not. Renault obviously know this is an issue but there seems to be no concistency in the replacement process.

28. Dan

Dan

Do you have any ideas why this would be? Does the tape hold the heat, or concentrate it to one area?

29. Not really mate. The bonnet is definitely not as hot to touch after a drive as it used to be before the tape was fitted. Not sure if the engine cover has helped as it doesn't cover the turbo which obviously generates a lot of heat. The patch used to be worse after a drive but is there permanently now.

30. Dan

Dan

Thanks, I guess anything is better than nothing..

I have bought a engine cover (which I will line out with the heat tape too.)

Dan

31. A good way of getting rid of a lot of heat from under the bonet is by removing the rubber seal at the back of the engine bay , it's not a tight seal to the under side of the bonet anyway, should see the heat that comes out

32. Dan

Dan

I will have a look. Thanks

33. Quick Update.

Had a call back from RUK today. They have agreed the bonnet needs replacing and are willing to contribute 60% of the cost. They have quoted £1750 which means I pay approx £700. This is sort of what I was expecting tbh but I still find it unacceptable. Some people are on their second replacement bonnet, so why should you have to pay out only for it to happen again. Other owners have had theirs replaced FOC. Next week I shall be seeking further advice on this issue. Still, the customer service manager did say that having to pay out £700 after 5 years "wasn't too bad".

Rob.

34. The R bonnets are definitely not worth £1750.. That's taking the piss

35. I know mate. Ads can supply them for £960 and I think the decals are a couple of hundred quid, so they're quoting £600 for about an hours labour :confused:

36. I want one for free rob, got no chance though

37. Any news on this?

Kev

38. Gave up in the end. I'm not paying out for a new bonnet when Renault know they are not fit for purpose, and they'll only give you 12 months warranty on it. I'm going to source one from elsewhere

39. I had a word with jemery Townsend at Bedford last Friday night, got more hope platting fog

40. Lol platting fog. Anyone contacted streamline carbon for their thoughts on the issues?