R26 F1- Best Driving Weekend Ever.

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Powello9, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Hi Guys,

So 8 weeks ago i bought a Liquid Yellow R26 F1. I paid a little over the odds but it was one female owner from new and full Renault service history. I met the family and was happy it was exactly what i was looking for. I wanted peace of mind.

The car was in Inverness so i drove up with my mate and our mountain bikes and incorporated a trip to Fort William and the downhill track there. The roads were simply epic. However, my driving was sub standard having owned a Toyota Hilux and 1 series BMW (the Mrs) for the last few years. I had a 182 cup before that.

I struggled to get to grips with the Diff and didn't trust the front... Loved the power though. So i went on holiday for 2 weeks...

Since then i have learnt how to use this car. It is simply epic and everyday builds my confidence higher. I am a fast road driver, not dangerous but i get a move on and absolutely adore corners. Each one is a challenge to perfect and enjoy.

So... On Sunday morning i set off from Chester to South Wales. Bags packed and a hungover girlfriend we set off for Newcastle-Emlyn. The mix of road on this 3 hour trip was unreal. It was dry, warm and perfect.

The car never missed a beat, even when my girlfriend did! She's used to my style of driving and by the end for the first time in 6 years was actually egging me on like a co-pilot such was the fun this little yellow car was delivering.

My personal favourite attribute of this car isn't dissimilar to my old wonderful 182. But getting a tight corner a little deep and lifting off, oversteering the rear in and then pinning the throttle. 2 cars with the same DNA. Except the F1 absolutely sling shots you out of the corner. Almost rewarding the mistake that got you there.

On a real mix of classic B-roads this car is unreal. I struggle to think of a car as well balanced and poised (probably an R lol). But it was just so supple yet responsive to everything i wanted it to do.

Every owner of these cars should be proud of what they've got. You can keep your Audi's and BMW's... These cars have more soul then they know what to do with. I plan to keep this car for a very long time, even if it goes in the garage for summer. It reminds me why i love driving. Theres not many cars that do that anymore.

Love the forum guys and keep up the good work.

Richard

2. You should get booked on a track day and find out what they can really do, enjoy, imne give me a massive smile every time I go out in it

3. Im actually planning to that at Oulton Park soon. First stop... Spare set of wheels, some DS2000's, a belt change, service and trip to RsTuning.

4. Roads on the way up to fort William are fantastic. What dh bike do you have?

5. Sounds great mate, and a good review. Get some pics up.

For the work you want (except the re-map) and given the 'Chester' in your location, I heartily recommend Birchdown in Malpas if you don't know it.

6. Glad you are enjoying the new car, my car gives me the same feeling on B roads. But it isn't until you get the car out on track can you really exploit the full potential. It's a bit too quick for most B-roads!

7. Totally agree, really enjoyed the flexibility of 3rd and 4th gears. Like flicking an elastic band out of the corners.

I've got an Orange 5 setup for all mountain. Struggled a bit on the world cup track but was awesome on the Red. I live in Chorley also so i ride Rivington, Healey Nab and White Coppice a lot. My work is 50/50 Preston and Chester.

Inverness to Fort William B-road was brilliant. I was not lol.

Fort William to Loch Lomand A-Road was pretty mega.

8. That must of been harsh on the top sections on the 5. I've just sold my 224. Fantastic bikes oranges. I drive through Chorley daily so il keep a eye out for you. There's a few sports around Bolton/Chorley area

9. I made it down safely but was more a self preservation exercise! I am more of a trial rider then full downhill but throughly enjoyed the challenge. I bet you love the 224. I love Orange but gonna switch to the dark side and get a carbon Yeti when i go on holiday to the states on September. Gonna keep the 5 for the Mrs and the business.

Im in Whittle le Woods but always out and about. What colour is yours?

10. Just had a similar drive tonight in the 265, just love the chassis and that diff! plenty fast enough to keep me entertained!

11. Would of been even better if you had of been strapped into an R seat

12. Yup, you are probably right!

But boy, anyone who has a r26 and thinking of a 250/265 its the next step up - more power, more torque, miles better damping, better handling, much more stable at high speed - love it!!

13. But boring :wink:

14. The words of a jealous man :wink:

when are we meeting up for a drive, you about at the weekend?

15. Lol. I drove the 265 at Brands the other week. I was asleep by the time I got to Druids :wink:

Im about on Saturday, weather dependant.

16. Haha, shame it's faster than your .R eh?

ah yes, the great british weather, early morning start sat? Ill drop you a text friday if you fancy it!

17. Ok mate.

18. Where you driving to

19. We live like 1/2 a mile away from eachother so just local nowhere special! Some decent roads about in the sticks mind

20. I've not driven an R or a 265... However, a car should be judged on the size of the smile not just figures. Up to the individual where the smile comes from :wink:

21. Couldn't agree more mate :wink:

22. The 224 was a fantastic dh bike but unfortunately to heavy for round rivington etc. So I've just sold it.
    I'm from Heaton but work in Southport so travel thru Chorley daily. I've got a black dci cup.
    I seen a Ly r26 f1 07 reg on Thursday around 5pm driving through tarlton on the way to Southport. Was that you?

23. Almost my car, i was in Chester that day though.

Great driving roads those ones between Leyland and Tarleton.