Potential new LY F1 owner

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by wsmdesign, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Cancelled pick up today and now going down on Saturday.....

Spoke to previous owner today and he said when cambelt and pump was changed in Feb this year Platinum Renault replaced cv boot clips and said the swivel bearings and the steering in general was fine. So again I’m sort of reassured but the test drive will tell me more.

Saturday is good to go and gives them time to get car ‘just right’ for me.

Jamesycc and Mikey4410 like this.
  2. hope it all works out,let us know how you get on..

Mikey4410 likes this.
  3. Good luck for Saturday. Hope it's a nice dry day for it.

Seems everything checks out.

Be interested to see if it was on private plates before it went up for sale. I only wonder as I spotted a LY R26 a few weeks back only yards from my front door and I've never seen any 225's near my house.

It was T30 SPT, quite a distinctive plate and remember thinking that looks very clean. It was a sunny day so the LY looked amazing.

4. Hi - everything seems to be checking out and stacking up as a well looked after car. The previous owner has been fastidious with his maintenance and always used Platinum Renault to do any work on the car. According to HPI report it’s always had the same reg with no plate changes.

Looking forward to Saturday now and hope I get a decent day and the car is right for the trip back to Lanarkshire.

Will keep you posted folks.

Jamesycc likes this.
  5. 6hr Drive back home from Bristol - car is stunning and can’t fault it at all. Bagged a good one. Will get pics up soon.

Off to bed !

Mikey4410 and Jamesycc like this.
  6. Glad it all went to plan

7. Well done there, glad all has worked out for you, now enjoy it :sunglasses:

wsmdesign likes this.
  8. Yay !!!! Awesome

wsmdesign likes this.
  9. 5A5B2D9A-A6E4-4603-963E-8C5122B902A7.jpeg 2A82A078-426E-4514-AC21-4D206D9529D4.jpeg 56B680A3-29A7-42BA-AA01-80B0DA5E71BA.jpeg A few from today

Mossyv6, Jamesycc and Mikey4410 like this.
  10. 41E3176F-EE3F-4959-9865-E392B57AB8FB.jpeg One more

Jamesycc likes this.
  11. Yes mate !!!!!! Stunning !!! Thats a lovely maserati 2.0 in background.

Get ureself a build thread started. :-)

12. Thanks - it’s a Ghibli Cup 2.0 twin turbo. Not many cup’s in RHD around.

Need to start thinking about mods for the R26.......exhaust first I think.

13. If exhaust is what ure after i would highly recommend k-tec full 3" exhaust. Its just a work of art and sounds amazing .

14. I yes - I was looking at that one. Would you go for full system (incl. sports cat) or just cat back ? Thus had s special offer on the full system so will need to check again.

Cheers

15. Lovely maserati! Meg looks mint too! Can' wait to pick up mine.

16. Looks like its as mint as hoped for..brilliant.

What are you looking for with mods?..power,or noise?

Changing the exhaust wont give you much power,and the noise from the F4RT engine is never going to be a sweet one.
    Some exhausts can make it droney.

If its power you want,then a remap will give you a far more urgent car ,without changing the exhaust.

I would personally get a RS Tuning stage 1 done.
    These guys have a faultless reputation in Renault tuning.
    The map has many years of development,making it feel like a factory delivery.
    My own car has a stage 1,that has been on the car for 6 years,without missing a beat.

It made 265hp/285lb/ft with no mods on RS Tunings rolling road.
    Night and day performance increase.

Its widely regarded that the engine in the 225/R26 ,should be kept below 300/300, for reliability issues..

The R26 has such a sweet chassis,i really dont think for the road you need to mess with the suspension...i know it rides a little high..but its so balanced the way it is.

IMO after years of owning one,i think quality fluid,and a premium pad like Carbotech XP8 will make the brakes tireless,if you are going to up the power.

other than that..premium boots like ADO8R or PS4, and the must have Shortshift to eliminate the weakest link in the package...the vague gearshift,will then give you a balanced performance package, that will hang with most cars on a twisty road.

17. I have just this week had a full motul brake fluid,and gear oil refesh,as well as a full geometry reset.

It does shock me how powerful the brakes are right at the top of the pedal from cold with XP8`s with new fluid..
    Gear oil has made the change slicker,but the biggest difference is the geometry reset.

I was suprised by how much it was out,considering it has not been smacked,or bumped against any curbs etc.
    Sharpened the turn in by a ton.

Basically,even simple things can make a huge difference to these cars.

wsmdesign likes this.
  18. F7AC52F2-57C7-4243-9E97-47357853C59A.jpeg Thanks for the advice on mods. I’m sort of in the mindset of keeping it totally standard one minute then making some mods the next.....decisions. All tyres are Continental CSC5’s with 7mm all round so wont be needing tyres for a while as it will be off road next month until March/April. Will def consider brake set up next year too. Any suggestions where to get shortshifter ? I also realised when I picked it up it didn’t have keyless entry but no biggie. Also, whilst looking in the boot near the rear light passenger side cluster I noticed a wire with a small red led......any ideas ?

Cheers guys

19. Phase two short shifts are a bit more involved than the phase ones.

Some machining needed or find someone selling a modded one.

@andrewjeffs is the man to talk to re short shifts.

Cars looks gorgeous. I love LY sooo much. Infernos my second choice obvs..!

20. congrats on the car, nice :blush: Re the short shifter - there are some posts here on the subject and a couple of us have started the ball rolling with markoc using a spare sourced from another forum member. We only got the first one sent over today to start the process but will let you know how it goes if interested? Alternatively, I think K Tec do one which includes the whole new mechanism rather than modifying the existing one

wsmdesign and Jamesycc like this.
  21. ktecs is a direct copy of mine,but you do get the entire mechasnism,so its actually not to bad a price considering the part alone from Renault is £130.

When i get some spare time at work,i will find out any linkages we have left,and was going to send them to markoc.