Potential new LY F1 owner

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by wsmdesign, Oct 20, 2017.

1. hi folks

I’d like your thoughts on the LY 2008 F1 R26 advertised on autotrader in Bristol for £9990. It’s a 1 owner car with 30k miles and looks stunning. Is it too much money ? I’m so tempted to have it as a garage queen and only drive in the good sunny days (not much of them in Scotland admittedly). I’m a newbie and didn’t want to break rules by attaching the link or naming the garage bit it’s the one with the lowest miles on AT for a 2008.

I’d welcome and appreciate your thoughts.

Thansk

2. Try and get some money of obviously but no i think thats reaonable to be fair. The arguement is......find another one with such low miles in liquid yellow!!!

They are bloody fantastic cars and u wont be dissapointed

wsmdesign likes this.
  3. Thanks Mikey - my stomach is churning (you know the feeling - that petrolhead addiction strikes again) and I’m likely to do a deal. It really is a unique one. OK - restless night ahead on here looking at pics and searching YouTube and Google.......:smile:

Cheers

Mikey4410 likes this.
  4. I know that feeling absolutely.
    I habe just come from a 230 bhp clio 182 turbo and this is better and thats saying something. Lsd alone is of massive benefit and bonus of that and brembos and recaros etc it really is a car fit for purpose out the box.mine makes me smile every time i drive it. Where u based ?

5. Oh and do ureself a favour and check online against the reg of the data on the mots to makesure mileage is genuine and true

6. I’m based in Motherwell just outside Glasgow.

I’ve carried out all the checks and MOT history and everything falls into place. Just had a service at Reanault and have a copy of the health check. Everything has been carried out to schedule and belt has been done too. Paintwork is superb, alloys good and 4 branded tyres. I’ll not need to do much expect clean it. I’ll perhaps look at some minor mod’s that are in keeping without going overboard.......famous last words.

What’s the scene like in Scotland ? I’ve always had German, dipped into Italian and the scooby scene so a new venture for me into Renault. It’s a niche club for sure.

7. Sounds like a promising r26 matey.
    I am based down in southend essex.

8. That is very high money,so for that it better be spotless,and wanting for nothing.
    Things to check.

Check the steering self centers..these cars are notorious for the swivel hubs seizing..again,if it hasnt been done..considerable bill.

Make sure the gearshift is smooth,and self centers..if it doesnt,the linkage is seizing up..common fault..

Make sure both electric windows are fine...window regulators go wrong.

When you test drive it,it should be razor sharp on its change of direction,and steering response.

The steering rack can wear on these,so if the steering feels loose or vague,it will probably need a new bush in the rack.
    Should be minimal body roll..if its not the case,droplinks are probably worn.

My R26 is a 07 model in ultra blue with 40k on it.
    weekend car,but all of the above have had to be done on it.

These are the main things that can cause issues with the R26,but other than that,my own car hasnt had 1 major issue in 6 years of ownership.

The R26 is a sparsly equipt,stiffly set up car,with little in the way of creature comforts.
    So make sure you can live with that,day in..day out.

If its a weekend toy ..no problem.

I personally have owned many performance cars,and have to say the R26, as a drivers car,is the best.
    With a few subtle mods,it will hang with most things on a B road blast.

But again..that is coming on for 2k over what you would normally be paying for a nice R26..so it really needs to be spotless.

Any questions on ownership/modifying..dont be afraid to ask..lots of knowledge on this site.

Mikey4410 and wsmdesign like this.
  9. S5000649.JPG

10. Thanks for that. Everything noted and will be checked. I’m up in Glasgow and the car is in Bristol so I can’t just pop over, however I’ll make sure everything checks out before I drive back home or it’s a flight back home for me ! It’s just been in Renault for a service and has been given a clean bill of health but I appreciate the dealer will not go into everything mentioned. I’ve been looking for a while and whilst it is pricey I just haven’t found another with low miles and 1 owner. It’s not he be all and end all but I just can’t find a ‘good one’ that matches (in Scotland) hence the longer journey for me !

Thanks again

Mikey4410 likes this.
  11. You wont find a lower mileage car...with its age he has only done a few thousand miles a year.
    My car has never been used for anything other than weekend drives,so at 30k,thats mega low,and a good sign its been cherished.

I am amazed he was not a member on here,
    and why its been traded in, when he would have got top money selling privately.

I have had a very good look over the pictures,and it really does look like its a minter.

For starters,it has original Renault cross drilled disks on it..most replace with blanks,so i very much doubt if its had disks.
    Also,the callipers and brake pad pins look totally untouched,which again looks like it has never had pads,as the pins normally need hammering out.

Body,and interior as it should be..bumper lines up perfect..which is also a good sign.

only slight downside..and its minor is,it doesnt have xenon headlights.
    Xenon lights have a dark insert,this cars has silver inserts,which denotes standard lights.

12. I live in devon,which is close to bristol..if i was 50 miles closer,i would look at it with you!

wsmdesign likes this.
  13. Also the wheelbolts look new..
    so either its a new set,or its been sat in a warm garage,with seldom,if any wet weather use.

If it is on original brakes etc(ask them),those pads are 10 years old,so be a bit careful.
    I bought a 20k puma a couple of years ago..The guy selling it had NEVER changed anything because of the mega low mileage,including the tyres and pads!...
    He had been letting his wife drive it around like that!...
    The brakes where truly awful, as the pads had gone right off.

wsmdesign likes this.
  14. If this R26 really has 30k on it,you could be looking at the lowest mileage R26 in the country..

15. Thanks Andewjeffs - your posts are welcomed and a good guide for me. I had noticed the headlight adjustment dial so I thought “non xenon” which is annoying but not a deal breaker. The car has been garaged most of its life and all the MOT history checks out along with the services. It does seem to good to be true but the guy I’ve been dealing with sounds genuine with his dad owning another car dealership (where the car is located and has been in his indoor showroom on display). If I’ve found a jewel I’ll be happy ! I had a 56 reg mini GP 1 in similar condition which was kept undercover in my garage I sold that and managed to find another very low mileage mint E60 M5 which I’ve just sold so I am hoping it’s 3rd time lucky finding this ! my mates say “I’ve an eye” but like most folks in here I just spend lots of time researching and looking and always have that “gut” feeling when I find a good one........hope my luck continues. Last week i missed out on the cleanest S3 ever with 1 owner and 51k mikes that had been serviced 12 times and 3 belt changes in its life. It was a 2001 x reg and after viewing it drove 30 mins home and offered the guy his asking price only to be told a guy from Ireland had just called and bought it unseen at full price.......don’t want to make the same mistake !

Mikey4410 likes this.
  16. It possibly is the best in the country..but if it warrants 10k...
    It really will depend on if the R26 reaches classic status..
    This type of`handling over everything` hot hatches will become a thing of the past ,as people prefer allrounders these days

If you are buying it as a investment,you will be lucky to make money.
    If you want a car thats a very pure driving experience,and little else..its the car for you.

To be brutally honest..a 250/265/275 is a superior car,in a more rounded package,but in saying that,you would need to be chucking another 4 grand on top for a good example at least.

I flew up to newcastle to buy my R26 years ago,so took a chance.
    The guy was a member on here,so i could get a feel for what type of owner he was from his posts.
    Lucky for me,the car was in 100% condition.

17. wsmdesign likes this.
  18. Thanks for all you advice - call dealer today to run through some things/negotiate and probably buy !

19. keep us informed about how you get on..

Mikey4410 likes this.
  20. This place is literally less than a mile from my house.

Not sure what good it'd do but I can swing by on my way home later and have a quick butchers??

wsmdesign likes this.
  21. Thanks Jamesycc - the car is in the showroom of Tiley Motors (the father of the owner) which is just round the corner in Vale Lane. Any help appreciated-cheers

22. Know it, sister bought a car there a few years ago.

I'm home now and working until Tuesday, 12 hour shifts so Wednesday would be the earliest now.

I'll have look anyways as I've not seen a LY in the flesh.

Looks good from the pics and tileys are pretty professional for car dealership if you know what I mean.

It's a good sign if it's inside the show room as opposed to open to the elements.

If you need any help navigating bristol when your down let me know as I may able to help.

23. Brilliant - that’s great. Appreciate it your offer and will keep in touch.

Walter

Mikey4410 and Jamesycc like this.
  24. How did you get on??

25. Just finalised the deal, deposit left, and hopefully pick the car up early November. Everything checked out and I stated all the things I wanted checked and reassured on. They are putting it through a years MOT and Renault has just serviced and given it a full health check. I appreciate they may not have carried out all the checks you mentioned but I mentioned that I will. All going well and it passes my own checks when I go down I’ll drive it home that day. Looking forward to seeing the car in the tin and driving it. It does seem a cherished example so I going on gut instinct form the seller (the owner of the garages son) and talking to him over the phone - seems a petrolhead like us and knows his stuff.

Will keep you posted and thanks again

Mikey4410 and Jamesycc like this.
  26. take it for a decent testdrive.as said before,handling should be direct and sharp.
    if it doesnt have a short shift,the gearchange will be a bit vague,but make sure the lever self centers in neutral.

again if the steering is stiff,or fails to self center..hub bearings are gone.

Hopefully all is in order,and should be for that money.

wsmdesign likes this.
  27. Superb news.still be cautious though as stated above.never believe anybidy when buying a car.....experience it first had to makesure its in order. Hope it goes well my friend

wsmdesign likes this.
  28. So......after some detective work, help from Google, finding out previous owners name (from a picture of an old invoice) and searching for that name in the general area of where the car was purchased I found someone that I thought matched his details on LinkedIn and where he worked. I took a chance at guessing his email address and sent a random email to him at his place of work.....felt like a cyber stalker......but the gamble paid off and a few emails later he confirmed that he was the previous owner. Everything I was told about the car checked out. He also backed up mileage/condition and how the car was looked after (dry stored in his garage)and how he used it sparingly during his ownership (29k miles in just over 9 years). He bought the car brand new from Platinum Renault serviced it with them and had timing belt changed few years back too. So far so good and I definitely feel better after finding and chatting to previous owner. Heading to Bristol Thursday to view the car and all going well will drive home that day. Will keep you posted folks.

Jamesycc and Mikey4410 like this.
  29. very nice,as you say when you can speak to the previous owner,
    you get a much better feel for how the car had been treated.

30. Latest - I asked the car to have a full MOT and it failed. Offside shock absorber needs replaced but it had an advisory stating “Nearside Play in steering rack inner joint” so I’m guessing it’s the common fault as already highlighted. Thoughts on price to rectify steering so I can haggle. The shock absorber will be replaced and I’ve spoken to Renault who quoted £1100 to have a new steering rack replaced and fitted (exchange with old one) they said they cannot supply just the bush......? Not sure why but any thoughts ?looks like I’ll cancel my flight for tomorrow......

31. Euro Car parts has a “REMY” one for £244 so a lot cheaper but any good ? best laid plans and all that !

32. Ok - spoke to garage carrying out the MOT (not the garage who is selling the car) and it’s not the steering rack it’s the inner joint on the rack which will be replaced along with the shock absorber and it will, if rectified, will pass the MOT. Flight may be back on then......

33. i hope they are changing the shocks as a pair..will be bordering on dangerous to just do one,especially if its on the way out as well.

R26 new shocks are very stiff when first fitted,so damping could be significantly different on each side.

Play in the rack is common,surprising though ,with such a small amount of mileage on this one.

I recently put the replacement bush in my rack,which has really tightened it up.
    not available from renault,but are avaialble aftermarket.

34. make sure you really give it a good run when you test drive it.Steering should be super sharp,with instant turn in.
    If it feels vague or strange in any way..something is worn.

Trouble is with the mk2,they have always had this steering weekness.Many guys now are refreshing the entire bush,and replaceable parts in the rack and suspension,as its hard to pinpoint exactly when might be causing poor handling.

35. Thanks andrewjeffs. I’ve asked that both shocks be replaced. I also called the garage that carried out the MOT - at first they were wary to speak to me but they came around and explained they were being very picky with the advisory on the steering but agreed it was better (for me) to have it done anyway. He gave the car a glowing report though and complemented it on its condition. The MOT station are not connected to the dealer I am buying from so I feel that an independent view is a bit reassuring. However, the proof will be my test drive and how I think the car feels. It will have a thorough going over. Any issues I feel that maybe lurking I will use as a bargaining chip. I’ve been in touch with my local Renault dealership which is 1 of 3 RS dealers in Scotland and chatted through prices of replacement wear and tear items and they aren’t as horrific as I thought (after speaking to Platinum Renault this morning) and I know a few good indy’s that I know would maintain the car. I am going in with eyes wide open and appreciate I am buying a car that will need maintained. Will keep you posted and thanks again for all your advice.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  36. on a lighter note everything is so much less expensive than the M5 !

Mikey4410 likes this.
  37. thats true!
    you know if all is in order after 300 yards..its a very direct car,and about as far removed from a m5 as you can get!

Remember to ask about if the swivel hubs have been done.If its been garaged all its life,it might not be as big a issue.
    But a car sat for long periods of time ,is usually the last straw for them to give up.

Look for sticking steering, that doesnt return to center when cornering,and feels very tight in areas of the rack.

A renault dealership would simply replace the entire hub,with a very steep bill.

Rebuild kits are available,for a lot less,but still substantial labour cost.

38. http://rsmegane.com/threads/belated-swivel-bearing-replacement-guide.11357/
    this will tell you all you need to know...this is probably the most common problem effecting Meganesports at the moment.

The first pic,shows what happens to the needle rollers..seized,amd ground away to nothing.
    power steering masks it,but when it gets real bad its scary to drive with the sticking steering.

wsmdesign likes this.
  39. i reckon theres a good possibility the hub bearings are gone if the inner rack joint is knackered.
    It puts loads of strain on the rack trying to turn a seized or sticking bearing.

when you are there..jack it up,and see if you can turn the hub by hand..if not...its gone.

wsmdesign and Mikey4410 like this.