Pilot Super Sports

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by ghosty0101, Feb 22, 2015.

1. I've just had my summers put back on mine. The tyre fitter (Meri-Tyre at Andover, my old man works for them), put the pair with more tread on the front. Usually I would agree with Jamie and have the tyres with more tread on the rear (i've read somewhere about less grip on rear may induce oversteer - wahey!) but as I intend on replacing the tyres with a different brand in the summer (probably PSS) then I didnt say owt as I'm happy to wear the fronts down in the meantime and change all 4.

For reference, I'm currently running Avon ZZ5. They were £65 a corner through my dad in 225/40/18. They're ok and have a rim protector - not that it's prevented my missus from kerbing my alloys. Obviously not a patch on the PS2s that were on it originally, hence why I'll get the PSS next I think.

Wrt the PSS, back on topic, without reading back through the whole thread how do people rate them in comparison to the PS2. Are they better in terms of grip and wear. The PS2s that came on it from the factory were fantastic. I would have out new ones but at the time they were in short supply and the Avons were a steal. Plus I've got Nankangs NS-2R for track use.

2. So why more tread on rear then Jamie? Not questioning just asking?

3. As far as i'm aware losi its a safety thing that Chris has touched upon above.
    Its considered safer/ easier to control under steer than over steer, so its preferable to have the tyres with most tread on the rear, as you have more grip in the wet etc

4. My understanding was that the rears don't really wear so you always put yyr new tyres on the rear to keep the tyres fresh. Otherwise you could end up with tyres on the back going 'off'.

5. From a safety point of view you'd rather have the front lose grip than the rear so best tyres on the rear.

6. Haha I like that idea!

7. I have just got some Maxxis Victra Z3 (I trusted Maxxis as I used to race DH and swore by them) for £85 a corner and I am very impressed indeed. I don't think you could get better under £110 at the least.

8. Original post

9. Are pss so much better than ps2's? Only asking as I just picked up my r26 recently and it's ready for a set of front tyres, it has nearly new 235 ps2's on the rear and my first thought was to pick up a pair of matching 235 ps2's from camskill, are they so much better to warrant running pss in 225 on the front?

10. I have PS3's on at the moment all round. Bought them about 3 month ago, I know everyone rates them and I always have. Used to have them on my 182 trophy everytime it needed tyres and same with the 250. However this set I havent been keen on for some reason. They seem to spin up very very easily?!

For me next it will be PS2's as I don't fancy running 225 regardless if they are PSS (just my OCD). Just my two Kenneth. If PSS were in 235 then I would go with them from reviews I hear.

11. Just to throw a curveball in here haha, has anyone thought of 245s? Im due new fronts so either ps2s again or pss's. Can get PSS in 245/40/18. Anyone run 245s on std wheels? Would have thought they'd be fine, just sit a 'squarer' than 235s

12. I have the same question...do 245 tires fit well in a Megane 265rs? How is the performance ? Any feedback ? Thanks!

13. I have Dunlop Sp01 245/40/18 on my standard wheels. No problem in fittment. Only problem are the crappy tires. I think 225 is enough for this car (talking about mk2 megane)

14. Oli

Oli

http://www.rsmegane.com/showthread....rt-3-again&p=53842&highlight=245/40#post53842

I think i will try the Pilot Super Sport in 245/40/18 when i replace all in the next month or so

15. Spoke to some other tyre centres for prices etc and they all said get pilot sport ps3's. They said super sports will let you drive up walls but they'll be gone in 6 months!

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Gone as in tread?

LOL. They are a High performance summer tyre and the compound reflects that. You would be mad to think that you are going to get mega miles out a set, Its the price you pay though but they ant that bad at all. I would say the wore about the same, If not slightly better than the PS2's.

17. So what would people say then is the best bet. Forgetting the financial aspect...PSS, 225 or 245?

Just in terms of the way the car drives / scrubs with 245 / speedo correct / noise / looks with either 25/45

18. 245 will be bordering to wide for an 8 inch rim. Just fit the 225 section tyres. 225 was fitted as standard to every megane 2 RS except the r26.

19. I can prove they are wrong.

20. I had super sports on my 350z turbo and they lasted ages...

21. Ah right, shouldn't be a problem then for the megane 3 rs's, 8.25 inch rim far as i know. PSS next for me i think!

22. The PSS on mine were pretty much new when I bought the car, I've done almost 9k miles and they aren't to the wear markers yet. For wear they're on a par with pretty much all the other performance tyres I've used.

23. Yeah I think I'll just get them! I guess if you drive like a cock then they'll go quickly, just like anything else, if you abuse it it won't last as long!

24. I just got a set of 250 cup wheels for my R26 and I am think about putting 225/40 18 PSS. I know they will fit, but since the wheel is 8.25 wide will the 225 tire be too stretched? Does anyone have a picture of 250 cup wheel with 225 PSS tire?

25. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

As has already been stated, 225 PSS's are more like a 235 PS2/3.

PS, you do realise that the 250 has a different wheel fitment to your R26....

26. Yup, R26 has 8x18/8.25x18 250
    Bolt holes are smaller, since 250 has smaller bolts, but i already fixed that and i think center hub is the same or a little bit bigger but that can be fixed also. ET on my R26 is 55 or 56, and on 250 is 65, and if you take all the numbers under consideration it will be about the same, 1cm +/-. And if they dont fit, not a problem, i got them for a great price and I will build a coffee table out of them.

Is there any other difference?

I know everybody said that they are like 235, I was just wondering if anyone has a picture, thats all.

Thank you.

27. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

They are different fitment. MK3's use 5x114.3PCD

28. Well thank you, this is a proof that rsmegane.com forum is a great place to be. I just assumed that they are 5x108 like R26.

29. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

No problem :smile:

30. I bought a set of PSS for my 250 from Oponeo, ordered on Tuesday delivered on Friday for £100 a corner, they are being fitted on Thursday when my wheels get refurbed.

31. What size? 245 or 225?

32. 225 40 18 92 y xl

33. About to order some, 225,40,18 92y XL or 225/40/18 88y?

34. 92y xl

35. Got the 88y on my R

36. I've had PSS on for a few weeks now and am very impressed, turn in is much sharper than my old PS3's and steering feels very direct.

37. Just put on a set of conti 5P's all round on the 250. All good so far.

38. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The Conti's are good, Thats what i originally bought mine with on the 19"s, Wear rate is shocking though

39. The conti's i had on my 250 lasted 6K !