Not a good day. Ended up re modeling the front end.

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by csmith8757, Mar 2, 2015.

1. I don't think it's just you....?

He and most people have expressed how lucky he was....it's pretty obvious.

2. Daz

Daz

I know? :confused:

I'd like to know where the cooler ended up!

3. PS3's

4. Update is. Cooler was in the field on the other side of the hedge. Doesn't bare thinking about what I could of done to someone else if they were coming the other way. Been to the garage today and damage is far worse than first thought. Some serious stress fractures and looking like a possible write off. Has been the biggest wakeup call of my life and been given another chance.

5. People make mistakes and shit happens. It could have been worse ( life wise ) but it wasn't.

It will slow you down , no two ways about it. But that could be a good thing.

For everything bad in life to happen , something else good occurs at the same time.

6. Glad you're okay mate, and I'm also pleased to see mostly sensible comments on here unlike CS!

It's videos like these that do make you think, and I've often considered selling up and getting something slow (again lol).

7. On another note what dashcam are you using? stood up well to the knock.

8. lol that's exactly what I thought! Braver than me that's for certain, especially in those conditions.

9. ide get that registration pic whiped off as quick as i could if i were you matey

10. Daz

Daz

Crumbs!

I think i'd rather have a new car if there was a lot of damage.

11. Why? It's only superficial, plus if it's fixed properly what difference does it make if it's had a little bump. You'd never know.

12. Nothing superficial about that knock matey, a lot stress went back into that meg, I would be very surprised if not stress fractures were picked up, but hey I am so pleased csmith you are ok and able to talk about it and move on :smile: and I respect your honesty ...

13. Nothing superficial about that knock matey, a lot stress went back into that meg, I would be very surprised if not stress fractures were picked up, but hey I am so pleased csmith you are ok and able to talk about it and move on :smile: and I respect your honesty ...

Oooooops double post lol , can you delete this post admin I got overly excited :smile:

14. that was a bad day but you were lucky it didnt climb the ditch and roll glad to hear your ok
    and when you can walk away thats always a good day you can replace the car

15. I think it's more a matter of it being seen by the old bill etc. Combined with this thread admitting driver error could be used as evidence?! Just MS paint the reg off the pic sorted.

16. That is superficial, I'd be very surprised if it had stress fractures and if it would even get checked for them. Not a single airbag went off so it's not a hard bump st all. Will be repaired in no time.

17. The owner of this car has already said it has stress fractures and looking like it's going to be a write off.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  18. Well I'm surprised at that because I've seen cars have harder knocks from sausages on track which set the airbags off and they've been fine.

19. Just read your car update mate, sorry to hear about the stress factor damage, I had a feeling there would be more than first thought, been there myself mate, hope its not a write off pal, fingers crossed...

20. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Lol! The bloke would have been lynched by now.

21. The airbags don't always go off in every accident. The cars are clever enough to assess the incident. Interesting one I had involvement with was a Toyota IQ that the owner had to be cut out of that hit a stationary car at 45mph with no deployment and had cabin intrusion. The police had the car inspected by Toyota HQ as they believed the car failed to deploy and was faulty (10 month old car) Toyota reported that the car responded exactly as designed according to the ECU data. The driver was not seriously injured. Irrelevant to the hydraulic brake failure the car suffered!

22. I'd be surprised if that's not a write off. Again as everyone has posted.. at least you're OK. Can replace cars, not people.

I had a similar incident but was lucky enough to avoid hitting anything. Was an immense wake up call and has affected my driving ever since. I think our Meg's are a driving miracle, but conditions mixed with misjudgement and any car is going to lose it. Hope it all goes well bud

23. Jesus fuck. That's some ridiculous speed given the conditions and the road signs clearly visible at the beginning. Glad you're OK, but that is some seriously irresponsible driving. Live and learn.

24. 7.5 / 10. Good effort. ;-)

25. I say a massive fair play to putting your hands up and going, 'I f*cked up' and fortunately it was just damage to the car (which is a real b*gger, so you have my sympathy).

It's also very easy to get into the spirit of your favourite country road. I have one near me that's a really nice little stretch of national speed limit and I will get up to that speed even though it's not disimilar to the road in the video.

26. Glad to hear you're not injured badly (a bad neck is getting off lightly!).

My poor Megane got side-swiped on a roundabout around a year and a half ago, setting off the curtain and seat airbags on the passenger side. No damage to the chassis, the repairs went over 8k - which was far above the estimate given by the repairer. If they'd known the cost at the time it would have been written off, so I'd be surprised if this isn't.

Good luck with it and drive to the conditions in the future :smile:

27. Firstly - Jesus! You are one lucky boy. Should go and buy a lottery ticket! As others have said - a car can be replaced, you can't, so glad to see you have walked away unscathed (other than the indignation of now having to drive a 1.2 Clio). Kudos for posting it.

I actually thought the video frame rate was set wrongly as it looked like it was playing on fast forward! Which camera was it - the quality was good - even at the point of impact the flying twigs weren't distorted at all!

28. The video quality of the original is higher quality again before it was uploaded. The camera is a Transcend DrivePro 200.

29. Glad you're ok fella, I personally wouldn't post that particular clip on public forum at least until insurance had paid out, but that's just me. Again, really happy you're un hurt.

30. Was never going to be just front end damage when it dug in and span round,hope you get sorted with it one way or another!

31. Any update on this yet? cost? time? anything else come up?

32. Update is the car has been written off. The engineers agreed with the garage on the stress fractures to the point that a new shell was required pushing the quote for parts to 12K alone. So all done and dusted and managed to get full market value after a bit of discussion.

33. Wow. Disposable society.

You getting another?

34. I'm not surprised that's a write off. I've seen cars getting written off for way way less than that.

Good job on getting the full market value!

35. awwww :worried: what you after now then? haha

36. Replacement vehicle has been purchased. Ended up trying out a few different motors some of which were GTC VXR, M135, Seat 280 and even a 6 year old RS4. But what did I go for in the end ?

37. 275 Trophy

38. Golf R??

39. Spot on. Nice Artic white with 20 miles on the clock. Just waiting to find out when I can pick it up.

40. Top man. No German tosh! Get some pics up when you can :smile: