Noise/Resistance after incident with curb (Megane III 265)

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by lewish, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hey guys,

Had a bit of a run in with a curb in the snow, hit it with some force. I had the tracking done asap as I suspected wheel alignment would be out by a fair bit and it was, but after a few days of running the car a noise developed at around 35mph and above, sort of a 'vooom...vooom...vooom' (1 second on, 1 second off) and it's started to feel like there's some resistance now too - definitely not rolling as smooth as it used to.

Does that sound like the wheel bearing needs replacing or could it be something else? Just wanna be clued up before I get it into a garage who might not know where to start.

Cheers,
    Lewis

2. Suffered the same fate on ice over Christmas mate, ended up with snapped track/tie rod end, and mangled wheel. After driving for a bit after repair though i noticed a whirring noise at motorway speeds, turned out to be a wheel bearing which was damaged during the impact with the curb.
    Probably find it’s your wheel bearing too mate. Renault parts direct are cheaper than dealerships.

3. Sounds very similar. The garage that did the tracking also did a visual inspection and didn't see anything obvious so it could well be the wheel bearing. Just one of these - https://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/parts/renault-clio-range/hub-bearing-front/?

Cheers,
    Lewis

4. There was no play in my bearing either mate, just made the noise. Went as soon as new bearing was fitted

Yeah that’s the one.

5. Nice one, ta.

I've asked the same garage to give me a quote for parts and fitting. How much did you pay for yours?

6. Think i paid around £90 for fitting.

7. The garage have had the wheel off and apparently the bearing is fine.. *shrug*

They don't know what else to suggest. They're talking about my rear breaks sticking and the tread depth on the rear tires, doesn't sound plausible to me, not for there to be a sound that's 1 second on 1 second off at 50+ and pretty much constant at 70.

It definitely started after the impact with the curb and I can feel it through my feet and hear it coming from the front passenger quarter.

Any other ideas? If the garage can't find it, I can't find it, ha.