250 Noise during heavy cornering

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by jack250, May 30, 2018.

1. Initially I thought the nosie was the tyre catching the arch liner but I’m not 100%.

The noise comes from the right wheel and only happens during heavy cornering to the left. It sounds like a metallic scrapping noise. Any ideas?

2. Thinking wheel bearing maybe?

3. Jack your car up and give the wheel a good spin and wobble

4. When I give the wheel a push once in the air I’m getting a ‘ting’ noise. There’s no excess movement though just this metallic sound

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Wheel bearing is likely, mine has started doing the same this week and it's sounding likely to be bearing

6. Is it similar to how I’ve described mate?

Following out last convo i increased the ride height slightly and increased compression, cleaned the brakes up and also looked for anything else catching but still does it.

If I increase speed mid corner it gets worse.

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Mine is like a groaning noise kinda hard to describe but goes away when I turn left and sounds rotational.

8. Keep me posted mate and I’ll do like wise

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Will do, it's in tomorrow and Thurs for a list of things Inc bearings and swivels so hopefully it solves it

10. You think it may be swivels?

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Nah doubt it but they started being noisy last week as well lol, everything's failed at the same time, typical

12. Typical. Keep us posted mate!

13. Had this issue sorted yesterday. Went out on Thursday evening to try and track down the noise and it was definitely the tyre catching the arch. The ride height is the same both sides at the front but the noise would only happen when cornering left (so right tyre). I was convinced it was the powerflex lower arm bushes causing excess movement due to failing. It turns out this was the case. Both sides were knackered! Fortunately i had some brand new standard bushes lying around so fitted them and now all good. I will be sending power flex the pictures of the old bushes but also wondering if i should bill them for the work as this should never have happened on something with a lifetime warranty. What do we think?

14. Good luck with billing them, but its worth a try. How have they failed?

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Probably will replace them, my superpro ones done the same. They are a shite design and imo standard bushes in the lower arms are the best option, unless you want to drop 1000e on a set of Kirfel arms with proper spherical bearings in them

16. Jamie, what happened with your Superpro bushes?

17. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Basically fell out the arm, under no illusion that the replacement set I got from them won't do the same and when they do I'll be changing to the aforementioned.

18. My only concern when i fitted them was that the sleeve bolt holes were larger than the bolts by a few mm!

19. All 4 bushes had split allowing the wishbone to move around a lot more than usual. You could see the marks on the wishbone itself where the rubber had reached. It was at least 20mm from where they sit! Driven 300 miles on the standard bush now and they feel nice. The steering isn't quite as sharp as when the powerflex were new but the car feels much smoother and nicer to drive. I have a soft set up for road on my KW's so these new bushes match that perfectly. Feels really compliant to drive now, its a pleasure. And no more knocks! For now...

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

My noise was definitely wheel bearings, Pax side had collapsed. Still not got it back mind you as its currently got the turbo off awaiting a sheared stud to be machined out :tearsofjoy:

21. It rains. it pours.:triumph:

22. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Literally every single job it was in for was a right PITA, Even the swivels put up a good fight, More so in trying to operate the hubs down but at least when its back it will be 100% again