New RenaultSport Megane

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Semtax, Dec 14, 2016.

1. 5 doors...i'm oot !

2. I think you’ll have to accept that all hatches will be five door soon. I prefer three doors myself too, however it’s a fact of life that all the new models of these hot batches are five door. I think renault have done well to integrate the extra door fairly seamlessly on the new RS. I am loving it’s looks! Especially with the black 19” wheels.

3. It's probably a game of numbers, on the Golf forum most people seem to have a 5 door. I think the 3 door looks like a proper hot hatch, fortunately I'm going to be getting probably one of the very last 3 doors [emoji4][emoji4]

No more manuals either, that will make a Golf R 7.5 three door manual the last of it's kind.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

3 Door and manual Golf R's are done for as well ain't they no longer being built

5. Seems a shame, I do prefer the clean lines of a 3 door but it's 'progress' innit.

What's the deal with the RS Trophy yet, any more sneak shots?

6. my mate has a 7.5 golf R.
    remapped to god knows what
    It is a bit remote though to drive.
    But as a all rounder it is hard to beat.

7. That's it, the Golf is a supreme all-rounder. It is very very good at everything. However, for me, mine just felt a bit clinical. The Megane is on another level in terms of engagement, but flawed in other areas, though oddly the flaws actually make it feel more special in a way. Would like to try a modified Golf though.

8. its fkn fast..400lb/ft with ease.
    my other mates 360hp DC2 integra turbo keep it honest though!
    makes my R26`s interior look like its come from a renault 5...Which some of it probably did!

massivewangers likes this.
  9. I saw a Golf R yesterday in blue with the petroia? wheels and it looked fantastic on the road. I do think it would be less enjoyable to drive than the meg, if not faster in a straight line! I'd still have one though it's definitely a classy hot hatch.

The civic is undoubtedly the best to drive but it just looks shocking, there is no way my aesthetic OCD could cope with that.

10. whoever styled that civic has a lot to answer for.Its costing them millions in sales.
    Such a shame,as its a fabulous car,built from the ground up to go round corners.
    Honda actually redesigned the shell,so multi link rear suspension could be added.
    The only company that would put the flagship model,above its humdrum variants.

I would still have one,just for what it can do.
    would be wearing some dark glasses though!

11. I’m looking at options on the mk4 and trying to keep the cost down. I’m wondering about the wheels and the brakes.

Anyone driven the new RS without the Bi-material brakes? Test drive had them and they seemed good but it’s an expensive option and will be expensive to replace when worn out. But I do not rate the mk3 brake setup at all even on better pads/fluid/lines. So don’t want the same again if I order a mk4.

Also I have a set of 18” oz ultraleggera on the 275. Wondering if they would fit the mk4. Anyone know pcd/offset/width of the 18” or 19” on the mk4 so I can do the maths. If they work I won’t get the upgraded mk4 wheels either.

Thanks.

12. Popped into the local dealer today, order some parts. Had a look at their MK4 RS in red. Must say it's pretty stunning in the flesh, it's big, but has some stance. Took some photos, but due to being not that tech savvy, no way of posting them on here.

13. The Trophy certainly looks like the one to have. The wheels don't do much for me, so will be interested to see what the lightweight option looks like. Recaro seats and a bit more power sound like a winner though.

14. NJH

NJH

Not sure I agree really, its a bit weak as all you are getting is a very minor tune up, a switchable exhaust and the option to spend a load of money on the Recaros, BUT you also have to have truly horrid looking 19" rims rather than track friendly 18s. I will stick by what I said earlier, wait till next year when the inevitable deals start coming on the standard car with cup pack. If the deals are as great as they were on the last car I might even make the trip to the Renault dealer myself.

T&biskits likes this.
  15. Wheels are shite. Look like the cheapies on Ebay for £200 for 4.

NJH likes this.
  16. I think the autocar article mentioned aluminium hubs but I am not sure if the current models have that already.

17. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Let down much.

Renaultsport have basically spec'd the Trophy to what the base spec RS should of been [emoji23]

18. What were the differenced between the MK3 trophy and a cup model? Optional ohlins, wheels, alcantara, power increase?

That have probably been a bit quick in bringing this model out, or as you say just made this the base model.

19. Be interesting to see what the light ` Fuji` wheels look like. Probably resemble chrome spinners.

20. Personally I think it looks good and having the option for Recaros again is great. Perhaps they should've added some really special suspension though!

21. What did a 265/275 Trophy have over a 265/275 Cup?

Just-that-ek likes this.
  22. Oh one thing it should have is an akropovic so I'm puzzled as to why this wasn't an option, as it was on the Clio Trophy and the mk3 Trophy? I hope they do an 'R' version so perhaps that will be full on gangster spec!

23. Stickers.

24. Racing stripes, Akropovic, different rims, alcantara interior, ohlins, that's it I think, and a tad more power over the 265.

LOL, see above!

25. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not much, although the Mk4 version appears to be Renaultsport attempting to sort the downfalls of the Mk4 and attempting to make it a car that is better than the MK3.

The "base" 280 is a bit of a let down

26. Didn't think there was a huge difference, so no great surprise that there isn't a big difference here either.

It's mad how quickly OEMs are now rushing through model updates though. With that in mind, it does suggest that Renault are going to have to push a bit further in order to keep this car fresh. If they want to continue the strategy of continuous development that they pursued with the previous generations of RS Megane. Trophy R? Trophy RR? Trophy RRR?

I was thinking about this the other day actually. The 205 GTI lasted the best part of 10 years with only minor changes, while current hatches have a shelf life of around half that time, even in cooking form. Sporting models often last less than that as they are introduced a year or two into the product life cycle. My how times have changed.

27. Well I think the new Trophy looks great.

Love the recaros, but I’m biased having a 275 Cup Premium (Aussie Spec). If you were going to do minimal mods (tune, pads and tyres) it would be the perfect track day accompaniment model. If you intended on doing exhausts and suspension etc than I could see the base with cup pack probably being better value.

We don’t get it till mid next year, but I’ll be hanging out to see it, maybe even be convinced to trade the 275 in.

I wonder what the engines are good for tuned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28. So, I get a 280 specced with the options that are 'standard' on the trophy to be £30,845 (chassis, brakes and wheels). If the pricing of the trophy is around this then looks good value to me given you'll be getting the extra power for 'free' if you like. Then the mandatory Recaro's need to be added...

29. I think that could be a big question for the folks who like power. The MK3 seemed to be fairly strong in that department, so it will be interesting to see how over-engineered the new engine is!

30. True. And the F4RT has been around for a long time, through many iterations, so will be interesting to see if any head gasket or heat issues when tuned.

31. Full press release part 1 (it goes on a bit):

RobbieR likes this.
  32. Part 2:

Bit of a read :tearsofjoy:

33. And the pictures...

EMBARGO 190718 08h00 Megane RS Trophy - Press Kit EN (1).jpg EMBARGO 190718 08h00 Megane RS Trophy - Press Kit EN (2).jpg EMBARGO 190718 08h00 Megane RS Trophy - Press Kit EN (3).jpg EMBARGO 190718 08h00 Megane RS Trophy - Press Kit EN (4).jpg EMBARGO 190718 08h00 Megane RS Trophy - Press Kit EN (5).jpg EMBARGO 190718 08h00 Megane RS Trophy - Press Kit EN (6).jpg EMBARGO 190718 08h00 Megane RS Trophy - Press Kit EN (7).jpg EMBARGO 190718 08h00 Megane RS Trophy - Press Kit EN (8).jpg EMBARGO 190718 08h00 Megane RS Trophy - Press Kit EN (9).jpg EMBARGO 190718 08h00 Megane RS Trophy - Press Kit EN (10).jpg EMBARGO 190718 08h00 Megane RS Trophy - Press Kit EN (11).jpg EMBARGO 190718 08h00 Megane RS Trophy - Press Kit EN (12).jpg

Evoluzione likes this.
  34. Geez, those red spokes on the wheels...do nothing for me. Hope there’s a boring black option.

35. Where the Fuji’s at ?

36. I just hope the 'fuji' option wheels are black...

37. This. I don't mind those ones above but black is my fav...

Looks like the exact same discs as my current Trophy R, I can confirm thee work very well, although it must be noted the R is way lighter innit...
    [​IMG]

38. Slightly bigger though? 355mm new vs your 350mm?