New RenaultSport Megane

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Semtax, Dec 14, 2016.

1. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Sounds like Renault have done well then, other than the EDC box, which isn't a surprise given how good the benchmark auto boxes are in that segment

2. Agree with you Jamie, reviews look promising and anyone changing their mind on the EDC box can have the cup chassis instead with change left over.

Still not sold on the rear end thou. Sometimes I think it looks beautiful and other times not but I do that with my Mk3 anyways.

Cant wait to start seeing them on the road. April orders with a June delivery I read somewhere.

3. 2 interviews also state the engine is 'okay' even to go so far as to say the old f4rt engine has more character and a better top end.

Wonder is that the result of strangling it via ECU tune to allow for a 300bhp trophy version?

Seems they've done the business with the chassis though, so it looks like it'll stay the fwd track capable hot hatch of choice (if the civics looks keep it at bay)

4. Sounds promising.
    Look forward to U.K. road tests.

5. Renault F1 driver Carlos Sainz junior was driving the zero car. Sounded from the interviews like he’d rather follow his old mans footsteps into WRC than F1 now he’s had a taste. If only Renault would get back into rally...

6. Bruno Saby was in 0 (the hero above lol), Sainz was in 00. He does seem to be taking an interest in rallying which is nice to see. I'd love to see him get involved. The sport definitely needs some high profile names, though the promoter wasted the opportunity presented by Block and Raikkonen. It is a shame that Renault aren't taking more of an interest beyond the Clio R3T championship.

7. Good reviews so far, as so much that the 'want' is strong for one of these. My only disappointment is the flappy paddle reviews so far. I really wanted this to be DSG/DCT good as I wanted this, but all the reviews so far give it a nearly there but not quite. Will need to see the reviews when it land on our roads and try one, but the manual looks to be where it's at. Wait on the trophy (suits me for timescales), manual, either silver or orange with black wheels.....although guessing the trophy may only come in certain hues.

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd love to see them do the Trophy in exclusive colours, but I doubt it seeing ad the Mk4 is a shift to try and make them more attractive to the masses instead of the hardcore Fans

9. Would be nice if they did another RS Diesel version:confused:, i know diesel is on its way out but the torques on those cars is so much higher, and you get both world, High MPG and a fun car to enjoy on the twisties or track

11. Diesel is dying.
    No chance of this.
    Hybrid more likely.

12. A shame diesels are being killed off. They still make sense for a lot of people. Another change driven by naive politicians.

The video above makes it sound like the engine note is very synthesised. A shame. That trend drives me mental.

Ian Hughes likes this.
  13. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

I loved my 175, I was gutted when I wrote it off

massivewangers and Nigelo like this.
  14. This does look good. Manual Trophy would seem to be the one to wait for maybe. We will see.

Having test driven the new type r today, it’s going to have to be something very very special, as that is quite a car!

Hope the Megane is as good. It’s certainly a better looking car than the type R.

Xanda73 likes this.
  15. I’d struggle to name a car in this segment I think is worse looking than the Type R.

16. Quite enjoyed this video!

evojkp likes this.
  17. which is a terrible shame,because its the best drivers car.

18. Type-R looks are growing on me, looks better in the flesh. Megane looks much better though, especially the back end.

19. I suppose at least the civic isnt bland, thats a bigger crime.

It will be interesting to see a test between the 2 and see which is the most fun to drive.

20. Mk3 Megane RS looks better than both though. :hearteyes:

21. But the Civic has too many doors too surely?

22. To me the best video so far....honest reactions to the manual cup on track....

23. Thats true. It would be nice if they offered 3 doors as well rather than just 5

timbo likes this.
  24. ^^+1 — so upset there’s no 3 door version!

Just-that-ek likes this.
  25. It looks good from the back but I'm not keen on 5 doors, same with the focus rs. If I was spending 35k I'd buy a focus rs instead as they will hold there value much better. What I like about the mk3 is there a great car for the money, when the mk4 comes out the value of the mk3 is less. Would I trade in my 265 trophy and then have to put an extra 25k on top, absolutely no way.

26. My fully loaded Cup-S had a list price of £33k.
    Doesn’t mean I paid anywhere near that.

27. The facts are are 90% or thereabouts will buy on finance.
    Renault will either have to seriously increase GFV’s, discount heavily or offer a low rate of interest. I’m pretty sure they’ll do one or more of these, as they have done before.
    If they go down the route of increasing GFV’s and discounting less then used values will improve.

If you are in the enviable position of having £25k or £35k cash sitting, then invest elsewhere and make a return, rather than putting it into a depreciating asset.

Paddy80 likes this.
  28. Does anyone pay full list price anymore? I've never bought a brand new car so wouldn't know? My Dad just bought a 6 month old Megane Dynamique S Nav with 10 miles on the clock for £15000, that's £8000 off the list price! Unfortunately a 90 year old lady rear ended him last week! :sob::sob::sob:

29. ooer..you never want to be banged up the rear by a 90 year old..brings tears to your eyes!

Cazper likes this.
  30. Was waiting for that, think she went gentle!!!

Dubz likes this.
  31. getting more and more interested, don't even know if i can afford one really.

Ideally i'll wait a year and get a <1 year old for much less.

32. This is how I've been looking at it for a while now. I've been in the market for a while to change my car. Having tried the CTR, Focus and Golf, getting laughable valuations, meaning I'd be putting not far off £20k of my money plus giving them my car. Are any of these worth £20k over and above the smiles, driving enjoyment and fun factor my 275 trophy gives me the now? Nope, hence I still have it.

While I really fancy the Mk4 in trophy form when its available, I will have the same thoughts. I am one of those seemily outdated auld folk who likes to own their car. Lease, PCP and how ever creative finance with low payments but mahoosive final payments or agreed handbacks is not for me. Never seen the attraction of it as a financial tool. Each to their own, I have plenty of mates who run about in expensive cars on creative finance way above their means....as said not for me being an auld fart.

Jonny157 and Ian Hughes like this.

33. I agree. These pcp deals do nothing for me, and are you/ me going to get 20k worth of extra excitement from a new car, no. I bought a new rs back in 2011 and cost me £25k, back then they were rare and you hardly saw any. I've seen 3 blue mk3's today in about half an hour. Golf r's are ten a penny and the new civic is too boy racer. I like the fact the chance of me seeing a liquid yellow 265 trophy is slim as there's on 20 registered on the road.

evojkp likes this.
  34. Agree mate. My current thinking at the moment is keep the 275 and buy a year or so old Golf r for what the trade up value would be. Smiles and win all round.

35. Did you see:

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

36. Probably sounding old here but I just can’t adjust to new 5 door hatch trend. Proper hot hatches have always had 3 doors!

I’ve Driven a few 5 door ST’s ect and they just dont seem right.

Is this just me?

Paddy80, brett19 and timbo like this.
  37. No, you are not alone! “Hot hatch”=3door

38. It's worth noting that VW made a five-door Golf GTI about 30 years ago :tongueclosed:

Sadly for you die-hards, I think you're just going to have to learn to love it, because I doubt you will see many more three-door hot hatches. In this segment, VAG are the only ones still bothering and, with the new Polo only available as a five-door, I suspect they will soon follow the trend. I can't say I blame them though. Three-door variants just don't make financial sense when the vast majority of customers want five.