New 250 Cup Owner in Surrey

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Mark_RS, Jan 30, 2017.

1. I'm exactly the same, I tinker and faff with the best of them...

I'm very disappointed there are no pictures of your faffing and tinkering! I took the car in today for the wheel swap and failed in the most spectacular way (4 ways actually): 1) no spiggot rings, 2) bolts were wrong, 3) tyre had a screw in it, 4) centre hole isn't deep enough for the hub. All in all, not good was the conclusion :smiley: The only silver lining was the comment from the technician that the Rays were lighter than a feather compared to the lead weight Renault wheels. Back to the drawing board a bit there.

Next for me, still end of the month for the work although I'm trying to wait and see how the new job pans out and resist the man maths.

2. .....We ought to know better by now didn't we!!!

Well long story short that was the biggest pain in the arse, I've collected most tools along the way but needed two trips out to get a 36mm socket for the rear hub nut and then a T60 bit for the rear calliper bolts. The pins in the front calipers just didn't want to come out so I ended up having to cut them out and then hammer out the last bits. In doing so I nicked one of the piston dust seals so had to have a new one sent on a Saturday overnight delivery.

So all day Friday and then this morning to finish off, without all the problems I think it should've taken two may be three hours all in.

Anyway all done now and went and bed them in today, all seems well and needless to say they're very powerful!!

I removed the noise thingy me jimmy but honestly not sure it made that much difference.

Shame about your wheels, what are you going to do about them?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  3. That sounds like a total ball ache indeed! I think I have those tools after similar failed adventures in my younger years :smile:

Glad they're on and they look fantastic! Bet they feel great.

Well I had a lambda light come on yesterday (car must know it's going in soon) which is a pain to add to the wheel woes. My main upset is wheel weight, Rota do wheels that'll drop in for the same price but they weigh over a kg more per corner :worried: sooooooo I will be doing a stud conversion on the car now and I'm going to look at getting some spacers. If they're 5mm or less then it's a go, if not then they're going back.

4. Yes and I didn't mention all the bits of skin now missing from my hands. Anyway deep breath and "calm".

I only took it out for a short bedding-in session so will report back properly when I've tested them properly having had the hoses & fluid fitted. Initial comments are they feel fine at low and normal speeds with no squealing or snatching and the few 90-20 emergency stops to bed them in had me wishing for harnesses!

Why would the Lambda light just come on?? I fitted a stud conversion to my Clio 172, it made swapping the wheels over so much easier and you can always fit the non-bolt-on spacers in-between (I fitted the bolt-on ones though). So if you do the stud conversion and can fit 5mm spacers can you fit your new wheels?

5. To answer your question :smile:

20170318_092150.jpg
    20170318_090149.jpg
    20170318_091208.jpg
    20170318_134603.jpg
    20170318_151606.jpg
    20170318_151625.jpg
    private image hosting

6. Have you managed any more bedding in yet? I bet they'll be marvellous on track!!

7. I like the wheels, would lose the blue at some point but you can just tell they’re light!!

I drove it to Engine Dynamics on Saturday and took it on some good B-Roads, so the brakes are all bedded in fine now! It’s in there for the whole week having the full exhaust (and yes sports-cat!) fitted, a full belt & fluids service etc. along with the hoses and brake-fluid, so will feel the full force of the brakes once I’ve collected it. It’s also having a bespoke map done once serviced and the exhaust is on, will be interesting to see how she performs.

So what’s next for you?

What’s the issue with the lambda sensor?

8. They're so light...and I have to say I love them, the blue reacts to the light so at night they look black then bright sunshine and they almost glow!

Glad to hear the brakes are bedded in, I bet they feel fantastic :smile: My car will be off for a week at the weekend too, just when you get yours back. You've done the right thing with the cat I think, I doubt you'll find the volume lacking. Let me know what you make of it when it returns.

Lambda I think has just given up, could be wiring or just a knackered sensor? Next for me is stop spending money for a bit hah! CAE and KW Clubsports?

9. Yes yes yes, but they’re not BLACK!

I’m excited; suspect you are too regarding your work! Will let you know once I collect it at the weekend.

I’m assuming a new sensor won’t be too much money. Funnily enough Engine Dynamics did a test-run with the Superchips Stage 1 map on (not at my expense) and they said it was running way too lean and as a result the lambda sensor tips were white. They’re not too impressed with the Superchips map full stop. It may be worth therefore you having a look at your sensors and seeing if it’s also running too lean. I guess this is why it’s worth paying for a bespoke map, rather than a generic over the shelf map….!!

10. Oh, there's someone on here looking to buy a 250 turbo, may be worth selling it privately rather than part-xing it at Ktech...

11. Thanks for the heads up Mark 2, I'll take a look and see if I can find them.

12. We’ve discussed this before - you are MK2…!!

13. In bright sunlight the wheels are so very blue but then out of bright sun the centres are black and then at night the whole wheel looks black. I don't like them in direct sunlight :worried: I need to drive in permanent shade until I hit a curb.

Can't wait to hear of your opinion on the car post custom map! There's no way on this earth a generic map will ever be any good as every single engine is slightly different as are the conditions. Running lean is something you never want to hear, that's what ruins engines fast. Mine will also have a bespoke map done and a dyno run (which will prove the AFR). The sensor is covered under warranty anyway :smile:

14. They'd look even better in bright sunshine if they were so very black. I’d go hunting some curbs if I were you I sound like I've got a black fetish, which I don't, I just think our black cars look better all black!

Yes, looking forward to driving it, the figures with the Superchips map still on weren't actually too bad: 295bhp and 304ftlb with actually nice curves, but the mapping behind it wasn’t great apparently and like I say it was running very lean. They’re respectable figures so even if the bespoke map just replicates them but in a safer way then I’ll be happy. It will have the exhaust system on by then so perhaps a small increase….

Good news re the sensor. Will be interesting to hear what yours is like with the hybrid turbo. (I’ve no interest in hearing what it’s like if you fit the CAE!)

15. I thought I was Mark 1? Shattered my world you have...

16. So you black things and small knobs? Those don't go together now do they...or so I've er been told.

I bet you are and I reckon the custom map will a) be much safer and b) will improve the delivery of the power if nothing else. That's pretty much what my car is running with the exhaust on (301 and 325) so maybe that's where you end up? i have no luck on dynos...ever. I'd love to be the guy who makes 800000hp by fitting a new pollen filter but it's not my destiny in life it seems.

I'll get a vid of mine at the weekend if not before for sound purposes and to save the power delivery before the stage 2 :smile:

17. I’m sure you’re a good looking fella, but age before beauty and all that…….!!

18. Says the guy who needs to make up for er things by fitting the largest knob ever known to mankind. I’m sure it doesn’t matter what colour said knob is, it’s how it shifts that matters.

I would’ve said mine felt a bit boosty but the graph shows it to be a nice curve – obviously just my incorrect perception then. They’re respectable figures and would be happy with those if like you say things are nice and safe.

Andy at Engine Dynamics said that the turbos dictate so much of the noise that decats/sports-cats/2.5”/3” etc. etc. don’t make that much difference. I’ve obviously done the mature thing having the sports-cat fitted and will be much easier long-term. I’m having a new pollen filter fitted as part of the service, should add a few more bhp then!!

Yes please do.

19. I cannot wait to get my shiny, new, erect knob in my hands I can tell you...

Everyone overlooks the power of a new pollen filter, I've been using that to shave off seconds per lap for years.

I think you have done the right thing with the sports cat. I also think the Meg is 'boosty' and quite manic when you floor it? It all feels like a rollercoaster with me hanging on until the redline.

Mikeyjp likes this.
  20. I can see it being the start of a very long and expensive track car project if you do, whereas if you don’t the car can remain a semi-sensible road-car. Just don’t say I did’nt warn you….

I had’nt appreciated their true potential, not only will I have more power but cleaner air to breath from.

Yes, yes, I know, sometimes its just fun to be a little childish though. I know that feeling, it may just be our generic maps though, will be interesting to feel the bespoke map. Interestingly the bespoke map will override all the ‘Sport’ maps, i.e. they will all be identicle and pressing the Sports button will just alter the ESP. Whereas I can definitely feel the difference pressing the Sports button currently with the generic Superchips map on - I’m trying to get my head around why this may be, not that it really matters. I guess with the bespoke map it will be the best of both worlds with 100% power 100% of the time but without the disadvantage of the ESP threshold being lower when on the wet country roads.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  21. Hi I have like many a bespoke map it's smooth on delivery and great it was done by RS Tuning the first one I made the mess by running cheap unleaded and the power came on really brutal. Then had a remap done based on running 99 unleaded and it was like chalk and cheese I can smash the accelerator in third gear without losing £100 of tread and it pulls like mad all the way past 150 where legal to do so! I did consider buying a generic map but like others say each is different. Some can get 316-320 running the upgrades I have others less I am happy at 306 which is a significant improvement on with the 630 injectors and now turbo in next two months then it's 345 makes me smile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. Well at least for now the CAE is on hold while I gear up for track days with tyres etc!

Makes total sense on the custom map and throttle mapping. I think the rsmonitor adjustment is bollocks anyway. KTR have said (like you) they map on the standard linear setting and running in extreme mode will cause the car to go into limp mode due to the severity of the launch with the power hike. Interesting though that KTR leave the throttle mapping in there rather than in your case just set all throttle maps to linear.

23. A more commendable way to spend your pennies!! How's your new job going by the way?

I guess either it has an optimum map, or it doesn’t, if it does then the monitor cant then 'improve' on this can it!? In which case Engine Dynamic’s comments that the map is the same across all the Sport settings other than the ESP threshold makes perfect sense.

Long story short, the car is still at Engine Dynamics, I’ve heard back this morning though and it’s had its bespoke map done (with the SC!): 314bhp and 339 lbft (295 & 304 before with the Superchips generic map) and the setting behind it are much safer, so I'm really happy with that! It’s had a full belts and fluid service done and the only thing still to do is the brake hoses and fluid but apparently the old Renault hoses were rusted tight to the lines so it’s going to have some new lines put on as well. Should get it back late Friday!!!!!

24. I thought you'd approve! New job is ok, early days still...thank you for asking.

Unless I'm mistaken the rsmonitor on the non trophy cars does nothing to fuel/map at all anyway, it just modifies the throttle pedal response as it's drive by wire.

So ED must either reset them all to one throttle pedal response or leave it in place as per KTR?

Bet you can't wait to get it back! Mine should be in progress by now I hope..will call them tomorrow.

25. Long may it continue. Ditto.

Yes I think you're right, I must have my wires crossed then, unless like you say ED just remove the different throttle position settings. I will check next time I speak with them.

Yes!! - it will have been almost two weeks!! I have some LED bulbs for the interior and some Mr Pink calliper pins to put in as the new replacement pins I've already fitted were as difficult to put in as the original old ones were to remove, so I’ll swap them over now before the replacement pins become similarly welded in.

26. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd be surprised if they do that. No one has really looked into the ECU on the Mk3 Megane to fully exploit it.

It possible to have the different throttle maps also running different calibration with various power. Its something I'm still keen to get sorted but the guy that knows about ECU's is due to move to NZ so it might not happen. Be nice to have a couple different maps for various weather but still be able to have ESP off. You can have them with two maps on the sport button, IE one power output on normal then a different one on Sport like the 265's onwards have from the factory.

Mark_RS likes this.
  27. So is it this weekend you collect the car? I'm due to pick mine up on Saturday morning! Your power figures sound great, I bet you'll be well pleased with how it drives :smile: I called KTR this morning (impatient...only child etc) and they are working on the car. Apparently the before dyno run with the RS Tuning 'generic' map was around 288hp but the torque was over 340! Interesting thing is the RS tuning printout had power at 301hp and torque at 325 if I recall. I know all dyno runs are different in terms of calibration etc but still.

Roll on the weekend.

28. Mark 1, I've just spotted your avatar update :smiley: 314 Cup! Love it.

29. I have Friday off and am going to hopefully collect it in the afternoon, otherwise will be Saturday morning - I can't wait!!

Yes let's see, the gains are probably down in most due to the exhaust and Sports-Cat, the Superchips curves were actually fine but as mentioned it was the settings behind them that were cause for concern (too much to explain and most which I don't understand!). So if the only thing I've gained from the bespoke map is safer & more in-depth settings and of course releasing the full benefit of the exhaust (and intercooler) then I'm very happy.

RS tuning's figures sound more 'believable', but conversely KTR's would explain the boosty feeling you've mentioned. Either way, it's the difference in KTR's before & after figures that will be most indicative. Personally I don't have good vibes about them writing a bespoke map, as far as I understand they are just a middle-man for someone else's maps (it may even be RST?!) just too much negativity against them over the years on the different Renault forums, I would personally advise going to an independent (such as ED) at some stage to check it over.

You'll be able to write yourself a very impressive avatar text come the weekend!!!

30. I've heard good things about RS but also about KTR and to be honest, they're the only ones I know with a demo car running the tuning package I'm going for and don't forget KTec also tune and map engines for a race series so they can't be bad. I don't understand people's opinions of them generally, you usually get negative comments but when challenged it's never backed up with first hand, actual experience.

I'm happy (well not happy actually) to be proven wrong about the mapping they do but if they give me a proper print out showing fueling etc, it will show in black and white whether they've fucked it up or not :smile: I may take the car to Surrey Rolling Road in a few months for a power run.

31. Point made, and agreed! I did say though it was just my vibes. I have bought lots from them over the years and have an “ok” opinion of them. As far as I understand they don’t actually write their own maps though, I could of course be wrong!

Anyway, this is’tn about KTR, its about the merits of you having a truly bespoke map.

Quote from ED regarding the generic Superchips map: “I did get a brief moment to look at the map they had done and its quite shocking. It’s very evident why the car runs so lean as they have only changed 1 map (yes 1 map) in the whole ECU file!!. To summarise they have changed the cars VE table under boosted conditions, this fools the engine into trying to achieve higher torque figures with boost adjustments, but obviously does not add any more fuel. There are no changes to ignition tables, torque tables etc etc.”

So although the curves looked fine, there was not a lot behind them. I just don’t want you to make (not that you will) the same mistake.

32. I appreciate the concern, very much so...I'll be quizzing them on it for sure. It will be on the dyno for a good few hours tomorrow where they'll run it on a new generic map and then tweak from there if I understand correctly.

Shocking about the Superchips map. So in a nutshell, they've done the software equivalent of a bleed valve? Just up the boost...that's a poor approach if that's not limited to our cars.

I bet you're going to love it when you get your car back, it'll be brilliant! Make sure you post up on the forum with lots of pictures etc and your feedback, I'll do the same also. I have the go pro in the car already for the return journey.

33. That’s all it was, just concern that you’re not having the wool pulled over your eyes, like I have had! I’m sure, if you’re sure, that it will be just fine!

Exactly!! It is something I will be discussing with them next week though and therefore don’t want to go ‘public’ as that will be my bargaining point for getting my money back. The thing is though, it drove really well on the SC map, my Q5 TDI drives really well, as have many other SC’d cars!? I normally buy new cars on Audi/VW etc. finance, do fairly limited miles (say 5k a year) and then give them back before the warranty is up so I haven’t actually seen any detrimental damage that has been done by the SC maps (if it has that is). The Megane is the first privately bought “old” car I’ve had in a long time and I’m really p1ssed that the SC map has been causing/would cause damage running so lean. What if I hadn’t had the map checked - I would’ve still had it on and never known!!. Regardless, good job I’ve only done a couple of hundred miles, if that, so hopefully no long term damage done.

I’m sure I will, can’t imagine what yours with another circa 50bhp will be like….!!! I’m a grumpy sod with not enough spare time (at home at least!) to post feedback and photos. I just enjoy the semi-educated chat and banter with you!

(I’m considering selling a picture, if so this would nicely fund a 2nd set of wheels and some sticky track rubber…..!!!)

34. It's always worth saying though I think as you never know with these things. Eurocharged use a downloaded map based on mods for the C63 which I didn't like.

Good luck with SC and do let me know what they have to say. I can bet though they've had this countless times before and will have it countless times again...they'll probably respond with a generic bullshit answer about how the map is created etc etc. I don't think you'll have done any damage to the Meg.

Grumpy sod hey? Me too, the older I get the more I hate people :smile:

So you have a watch AND art collection? I approve of your plan though and the fact you're talking about track preparation...besides, you can't drive a Monet.

35. You pay for what you get in life; there are pros and cons to everything. Nothing is simple anymore!

Thanks, will let you know, although I will likely keep it private as part of the arrangement. I have some readings backup from ED if needed that I can send to SC. It’s worth a try but won’t ruin my week if nothing comes of it.

Likewise! Just give me a paintbrush (DIY!) or the lawnmower and I can happily not talk to anyone for a day. That's just not a possibility now with two boys but the thought is still there.....

You clearly have a wrong impression of me. I’ve not a huge collection of each by any means, but I have a few bits of 'modern art' (signed comic-book cover re-prints etc.), one of which is in a bedroom which we want to turn into a study-spare bedroom for when Mrs W goes back to work part-time and will be working from home one of those days. We're getting a nanny and what with her and two boys running around Mrs W won’t be able to get any work done downstairs, hence creating a study upstairs. Anyway the piece is not my favourite and we could put something a bit less 'dark' in there. The plus side is that I could get the wheels and tyres…..!!!

36. So so true.

Well I hope they surprise us all and admit fault and offer to refund you...we live in hope.

paint brush? lawn mower? We have a gardener and DIY person for all that. I prefer just to sit and growl at everyone.

We had an aupair (3 in fact) and had some success with them, bit like a dishwasher though you get dependent on them and when they're not their....not good :smile:

What wheels would you buy? I'm still planning on getting a set of the NanKang AR1s to try out.

Final figures are in by the way. The car made 340hp and 440 lb/ft at 1.83 bar of boost. Fuel is mid 11s all the way through and I have 1.5bar of boost at the limiter so game on!!

37. Let's see.

Ha ha, the boss has been wanting to get a cleaner for years but it seems more hassle to go through all the 'training' and house security that I/we might as well do it ourselves. I don't mind gardening so quite happy to do that myself. Nobody can decorate better than I think I can, so likewise there. I guess things will change as my boys get older and I/we have even less time. I can then sit back and growl.

As far as I understand, one has a nanny for the pre-school years and then an au-pair for when they're at school and only need looking after for a couple of hours either side of school.

I'd be happy with another set of 250 Cup wheels, then definitely the 888's or the new R's.

Holy mother of GOW, 440ftlb!!! That is a lot of torque, that can't be right, can it?? Otherwise game-on, looking forward to hearing what it's like to drive.......

38. In our house I got sick of arsing around cleaning up after 5 women (if you count both cats) so the cleaner was for me! Maybe we're just more relaxed (not having priceless works of art on the walls and expensive jewellery hanging around can do that) but she just rocked up one day, I gave her a key and went out...job done.

Nobody but NOBODY can work on a car better than I think I can that's for sure, so I bet your decorating skills make Mr Lewellyn Bowen look like an amateur! Growling is the reason I live at home, just to see the children run over to tell me something and watch their faces as they run for cover for interrupting Top Gear.

Aupair for us did 5 days a week, get kids up, ready, fed and to school, same at night...then do laundry a few days, tidy their rooms and babysit a few days. All for 90 quid a week and a room and car. Bargain if you ask me.

I was thinking of selling my stock Cup wheels? Want something light for track again, god I have issues haha. I didn't think you could still buy 888s? The Rs are immense!

I have the print out to show that torque, tomorrow will be the test to see how it's set up. I'll try and get some decent vids of it in action.

39. I'm not sure two boys and a wife with more shoes (and bags) than Emelda Marcos will be any tidier!?

Ha ha, fantastic analogy, that about sums it up.

£90 a week!!!!!! Our Nany will be £2k a month!!!! I think I need to move areas!

I'm pretty spent up with all the car work but would definitely be interested in them if you could give me first dibs please. I think the 888's are still available and then there is also the R's (which I haven't tried yet).

I picked the car up today, really pleased with the mapping, the brakes and the exhaust, just need to give it a spanking over the weekend.

Forgive me for prying again, but I asked the owner & mapper at ED about your tourque figure and he said it was way way too much for the standard clutch and driveshafts etc. He has the same set up as yours with hybrid turbo and injectors etc and he said he keeps the tourque not much more than mine at about 350 ft lbs (any more he can start to feel the clutch slipping) but allows for more bhp and higher up the rev range at around 360bhp. 440ftlb is a LOT it's not far off the old V10 twin turbo RS6 levels from a much bigger engine and 4WD.... I'd either hope that KTR have been a bit generous with the readings, or ask for the tourque to be turned down, or would look to start upgrading the clutch and sundries!!

40. I think that's just a woman thing, you could fit all my worldy possessions in a condom wrapper.

The au pair wage seems to be around that across the board and they were useful for sure although it went wrong with the last one...that's a story for another time.

First dibs are yours, they're even boxed and ready to ship...I just need to find something to replace them with now. Glad you have the car back and you're initial impressions are good, although you don't sound over the moon? The weekend spanking should improve that!

See now you've got me worried, my car was 340lbft on the stock turbo! I'll really press them tomorrow on it all and see what they say but I can't see them saying 'no sir, you're right...we've mapped it wrong and it has way too much torque'?