New 250 Cup Owner in Surrey

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Mark_RS, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Spoken like a true parent, you have to just let him make his mistakes and learn his way :smile:

What DO they say about men feeling the need to fit large extended gear sticks? I bet it's manly!

Dave at KTR explained to me the wierd setup with the down pipe and cat on the Meg, not something I've seen before and a crap design if you ask me. That's what I was trying to explain about the KTR exhaust I went with that comes turbo back with down pipe (replacing the stock cat off the turbo) and sports cat further back down the system :smile: As it's a metallic 200CEL cat (iirc) it's restriction is minimal so you're not much better off with a decat in terms of power. I have race cats on the C63 and on that car the effect is only a few hp at the top end.

2. Well I don't think he pays enough attention to me yet to learn off me, so for the time being he's in nature's hands.....

The same thing they say about men who buy Dodge Vipers...!!

I agree in principle with what you say but in your instance for the extra £150 you could fit the front-pipe instead and have it mapped accordingly even if it is just a few hp and then just pop the sports-cat on yourself at MOT time. I think it will add a few more ponies than you think though. You're spending enough money on the upgrade kit why not spend the relatively small amount extra and get the best out of it that you can.

On a separate note there is someone on here looking for a standard 250 turbo for when you have yours removed.

3. Mark. Morning. The lights are on the way how long did it take for yours to arrive? Hoping to fit over the weekend with the new bulbs. Will post pictures either in my thread or here done a few external cosmetic changes so looks ok. Did you take the RS badge off yours on the front? Does that need doing from inside? Getting some quotes for some more vinyl rap. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Morning Jon, not sure which Mark this was addressed to but either way I ordered mine on a Friday night and they arrived the following Wednesday or Thursday really well packaged. Yes I’ve removed the RS badge and I think it can only be done from behind the grill as there are 3 or 4 ‘C’ shaped clips that need to be pulled off with a pair of pliers. I’ve never been a fan of badges as have never seen the need to tell others what model/engine/trim my car is, and in this instance I think my Megane looks much smarter and subtler without all the badges (RS on front grill, CUP on B-pillars, MEGANE and Renaultsport on rear hatch).

5. Sorry but the right person answered hopefully by Friday. With regards the rear Megane lettering does that just pull off and give it a clean after? Thanks in advance

6. The Megane lettering will come off with some fishing line or dental floss and some sawing action, you could do with something like Tardis to get the glue off, and then give it a good polish up, you might be able to faintly see the lettering on the boot, from where the paint has not aged

Jon Birkett likes this.
  7. Only the front RS badge was fixed on by clips, all the others were just stuck on. I gave the B-pillars and boot a good machine polish afterwards to remove the ghosting left behind.

Jon Birkett likes this.
  8. Are you talking standard Viper or ACR-X? I'm thinking ACR-X which is definitely for the hairy chested man who bathes in 10W60.

You're argument is sound but I just can't be bothered with swapping out a cat under the car each year (I fitted and refitted and refitted again an Oreca system on the 172 Cup and that was more than enough for a lifetime).

KTR have offered me £150 for the turbo in exchange which doesn't seem too bad for no hassle, not sure if they fetch more privately? Thank you for the heads up Mark, appreciate that!

9. Now you're just being silly, although you would be driving a weapon people would just know you had a tiny gearstick!

Your argument is also sound. I don't think it should take that long though just to remove 6 bolts and the sensor then swap the pipe over and refit the bolts and sensor. Regardless, from what I've found on t'net there will only be 1 or 2 hp difference on a circa 300bhp car. Which coincidentally you have already stated! According to 'my' tuner the problem is that the cats get hot so the map needs to run a bit richer, this hampers top end power a little.

I think I'm possibly with you though on just fitting the sports-cat and be done with it, main reason for me though is that I don't want it to be bad-boy loud which it may be with no cat and just the rear small silencer plus obviously it being a larger diameter system.

£150 is still £150, although it doesn't sound that much for a turbo, it may be worth just seeing how much you would get elsewhere first.

10. I don't really have a comeback on that one haha! I was thinking about how I know how to use my tiny gearstick but that still doesn't explain why I want a really big shiny one...

See, I do have my uses other than depleting your watch collection! Just ditch the decat idea and get the sports cat for a more refined and easier to live with sound.

I'll post on here to see what they're worth actually, thanks again for the heads up!

11. Perhaps thats why in truth I prefer an automatic...

I did pay attention honest, but just wanted to do some digging myself. I've ordered all the kit anyway so I will have both the sports-cat and the front-pipe, my tuner is happy to map the car with either on. I don't have an issue swapping the front-pipe over once a year so for me it's just about sound now, I will see if there are any sound clips on Utube.

I was reprimanded by the secret-police on here for posting a for-sale thread for my old headlights without a price so I think you'll have problems finding out how much they're worth without knowing roughly yourself. Obvious source would be eBay, otherwise I would've thought £250 sounds a fair price.

....or make yourself a great object de art for your desk!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  12. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] fitted new black lights Depo great photos not so great chucking it down here so before and after love them

13. Looks a lot better with black lights, might get some after I have sorted a few other things

14. Looks great, makes more of a difference on your white car to my black.

Cant help being distracted by the 3D font on the number-plate, only my personal preference but I think a plain black text would look a lot smarter.

15. You're probably right about the number plate, thought you might have mentioned that shiny rs badge perhaps a job soon when the weather is better to remove it and the megane lettering on the back.

Going for a drive tonight to see how the PIAA H7's go should be a material improvement in lighting level

Going to gloss black the rear exhaust surround looked at the carbon ones available £199 a bit steep. Do you know anyone who does a gloss back exhaust surround?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Let me know what you think of the bulbs, I've always been really impressed with them.

Other than the Streamline Carbon carbon surround I couldn't find any other ones at all. Mark and I have just sprayed ours and the finish on mine at least is perfect just out of the rattle can.

Jon Birkett likes this.
  17. Looks fantastic Jon! We're starting a Depo revolution on this thread now :smile:

18. As Mark (2) has said just pop it off and spray it yourself, took me only a few hours and is a vast improvement over the standard colour.

19. If I have a thing for paddles, what does THAT say about me?

Have you made any progress on your to sports cat or not to sports cat decision?

Did you sell your headlights on here and if you did, how much did you get for them if I can ask?

20. I'd recon that says you like to feel a good smack as you change gear!

I'm still 50/50, although I went for a spirited drive yesterday and sort of decided to go sports-cat so as not to make it boy-racer. Hopefully with the 3" system and the SC it will be a fraction louder but I don't want to ruin it which I worry I will if I go no cat.

Not yet. Have posted them up for £100 collected, if they dont sell then i'll just keep them.

Any news your end?

21. There's a place for a decat but honestly, even though I love sound and experience as much as the next man...it's just not on my car. I think gentlemen of a certain age deserve a slightly more sensible approach to tuning.

I've put mine on Ebay for less than that, got offered £45 for one but then some complete tool offered me £99 for both and promptly vanished (cheers Raj St. John or whatever your name was).

I realised earlier today that I will have the 250 injectors and the turbo to sell when I get the work done...might make it slightly more tempting for someone as a kit? (or not).

22. I can understand that I put on the Miltek with 200 cell sport cat and went non resonated it is pretty loud. Still thinking about a resonating box and adding it in. Going to wait s couple more weeks before I decide. The combination of induction roar and the exhaust note is addictive. Took my wife out in it she absolutely hates it. Perfect that should save the new alloys when I get them from a severe grinding. Perhaps there is a benefit to a bit more noise.

23. The bulbs are great very impressed

24. Agreed, I think I'm leaning towards just having it put on and mapped accordingly and just leaving it on.

I'm really not bothered about selling them that much, if someone wants them for £100 then they can have them, otherwise will just keep them for back-up.

That sounds like a good idea, not that I know otherwise but perhaps the injectors would also be an upgrade for someone with the 225 engine.

25. Thanks regarding the SC, as mentioned to MK2 I'm leaning towards having it fitted.

Good news regarding the bulbs! They're worth every penny!

26. I can't imagine you missing the few ponies for a more refined sound. I genuinely like the sound on my car and it still crackles and pops every now and then just to let me know it's there.

Last night I put in a cheeky offer on some gramlights wheels on ebay and it got accepted (400 less than asking)...so I've got wheels it seems! 18×8.5 et52 and 8.4kg a corner! Oh yes, they're also black/blue with a view to a refurb. I can get pics at the weekend if you're interested?

Jon, I'm with you on the wife driving the car! I've insured my wife on everything to try and get her into cars (even the Radical) but she hasn't driven one...ever. Now I don't bother.

27. Arrrrh, I'm having a non-cat day today!! I really need to hear one without the centre-box and no cat. It is a weekend fun car so I don't mind it if its a bit shouty, but just don't want it to be boy-racery. There is a AMG A45 in the station car-park and it sounds like a WRC, - I cant imagine the Megane would be THAT loud!? I don't think the Scorpion cat is that large a diameter and apparently the larger diameter cats are less restrictive. Why then Scorpion produce the size they do I don't know - there must be a reason??

Ooooh - pictures please!!

Mrs W has been insured on all our non-main cars and she's never driven any of them, I don't think she's sat in them either.

.....my brakes have arrived!!

Mark_RS likes this.
  28. Noise well mine is pretty loud giving it full beans you're not hearing anything other than the blast from the exhaust. For me it is plenty loud without people pointing the finger and calling you a boy racer. It pops and bangs and crackles just fine. As I said sport cat and non resonating so I am missing one box . I think mine is somewhere between 87 and 90 db I I had a decat on my Elise and that was 105 and that destroyed ears. Seriously I don't think you will be disappointed with sportcat and nonresonated. Just my honest opinion.

29. Thanks Jon. It’s really frustrating spending so much money on something (full system + mapping session) and not being able to hear it beforehand. The sensible option is obviously the sports-cat, but performance wise it’ll be to go non-cat. The standard exhaust is just so quiet even with the mid-box chop (this didn’t make any difference to my old ears); therefore I can’t imagine that effectively the same Scorpion set-up will be any different noise wise?! Sure the system is 3” rather than the standard 2.5” and the cat will be less restrictive, but would this make THAT much difference??

30. Mines the Miltek and the difference on a 3" system is massive especially with non resonating

31. Thanks Jon, much appreciated, I wouldn’t have believed it if you hadn’t told me.

32. When I got my 250 the existing exhaust note was very weak. The difference is staggering. I see you posted another thread hopefully a few folk will post and be able to say exactly. For me it wasn't cost so sport cat it was. I am not mechanically minded so couldn't be bothered with decat messing about.

RS Tuning recommended to me either noncat with resonated exhaust or sport cat non resonated went the later. There are enough folk on here to get the info from.

33. Thanks Jon, I am purchasing the sports-cat regardless so it isn’t the cost of the cat, it’s the cost of the mapping session on top of the whole system and I don’t want to make the wrong choice and then swap the sports-cat on/off and have to pay for another mapping session. Sorry if I’m repeating/reiterating myself but I effectively have a non-resonated system already as have the mid-box chop, so the only difference between my system now and the new Scorpion system is 2.5” & normal cat vs 3” & sports-cat. I just wouldn’t have believed it would make that much difference.

Jon Birkett likes this.
  34. Pictures to follow...they're a bit different!

Brakes have arrived? Pictures please!

35. As Jon says it'll make plenty difference Mark, enjoy it. Also remember if you go too loud...trackday woes :wink:

36. I'm likely having Friday off to fit them all, will take some photos before I pop the wheels back on. I've already sprayed the rears with some VHT black paint so hopefully they wont rust like the originals. Fcuk me they're heavy though, id forgotten just how heavy discs are! No wonder they say ceramics are worth it just for the weight saving.

Noted re the sports-cat, I think I'm 85-90% decided on having it fitted from the go.

I've ordered a 32mm silicone hose end-cap and am going to remove the stupid noise generator thingy-bob....!!

37. Good job you said black VHT paint :wink:

What is this noise generator of which you speak???

Look forward to seeing the brakes, bet they're awesome :smile: Wheels are here and due to go on Saturday at Guildford Tyre Centre.

38. It said it was black, the alternative said metallic black, so I assumed it would be satin or gloss, but it’s come out as very matt and actually dark-grey. No problem really but was just hoping for satin or gloss. From Googling I think the only way of getting VHT Gloss Black is to use Enamel and then you have to faff around letting it harden for days and then heat cycle it.

The noise generator thingy-me-bob that pipes in some noise from the induction. I think it sounds rubbish and so am going to remove it.

Probably overkill, but when has that stopped us!! (pun intended), yes am looking forward to fitting them all. The sided grooved rear discs look ace and obviously the front rotors are sided (in the same style grooves) so it will be nice for them all to match. I won’t get the full on effect until the hoses and fluid are fitted but will go and bed them in late one night over the weekend.

Looking forward to seeing the wheels!!

39. Oh I hate that when things aren't black :smile: I'm sure it looks ok though? Is yours not a cup car..can't remember.

Appears the forge dump valve I have has deleted the noisy thingy bob! One less job to do for me :smile:

I bet you can't wait! I want, no demand photos. I'm sure they'll end up on my to do list after seeing them and hearing how you pulled 5G at the traffic lights.

Quick pic of the wheels, will see how they look on..actually they're in excellent condition so the refurb to make them black or gunmetal can wait :smile:

20170308_220254.jpg
    image uploader

Mikeyjp likes this.
  40. Things usually don’t end up going well for me as I tinker and faff too much, but surprisingly the rear discs have come out really well, I masked as best I could the edge of the circular braking surface with straight tape, gave them 4 coats of the paint and then last night removed the tape and just scraped off the tiny bits of straight paint left on the disc with a fresh Stanley blade and they look great. They are black (!!) but, as you will see when I post some photos, just very matt therefore almost a dark grey. They’ll look fine once they’re on and the aim wasn’t to make them look better but just to stop them going rusty and therefore look worse. On a side note, I may paint the rear callipers black when I have all the wheels, discs and pads off. 50% of the time I think the red looks naff on the rear – it’s not a GT3 with 6-pot rears!! Yes it’s a Cup car (rather than having the Cup pack).

Yes, as far as I am aware I think the noise fandangle is removed with an external dump-valve. A quiet recirculating DV is on my to-do list at some point as the standard ones are prone to failing on boosted engines so rather than making any noise it just replaces the standard one with a better quality Forge version.

Well the forecast says cloudy with no rain tomorrow!, so all being well I’ll fit them all then and if I have time will do the noise whatyacallit. Just for you I promise to post some photos up! You can never have too good a braking!!

I like the wheels!! (….not the blue though), they look almost 250 Cup standard shape, personally I’d do them satin-black like the originals and see if I could fit a Renault centre-cap.

So what’s next? When are you having the turbo and injectors done?