Negative camber solution

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by git-r, Sep 26, 2016.

1. What settings did they use?

Sorry to hear about the accidents.

2. Just to update this thread again, I took the car to snetterton on Sunday and had an absolute blast!!

There wasn't much that was quicker than Morag, despite feeling pretty slow on the straights she made up for it with comical turn in oversteer and a lovely balance through corners. The brakes were fine and the way the car runs so well on track in standard form continues to impress.

Last time I was at Snetterton it was over 30 degrees and I was running some posh continental track tyres. Best lap was very slow at 2:25 ish.

On Sunday it was only 3 degrees. Only other change compared to last time was the camber and toe change and Yokohama AD08R tyres.

Best actual lap was 2:20 with a bit of traffic, best calculated was 2:18 although I don't think I'd manage that!

So, very much quicker! :smile:

A vid, love how it turns but it does feel dicey round cobham as the car never feels settled, constantly correcting oversteer. Big fun though, never thought I'd enjoy a fwd as much :smile:

Cheers!

3. Great update on the car mate, try turning down the exposure on the go pro, it will stop the glare/white out from the sun.

Dale

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

L-1011 and git-r like this.
  4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Needs spot metering turned on so it exposes for the centre of the frame,, IE outside, Rather than inside the cabin

Sam@NP and git-r like this.
  5. What are the AD08R's like mate? Have you driven with them in the wet?

6. They're probably better than most track type tyres in wet. On a diffeeent car I used them at a sprint in the wet, times were excellent, way ahead of the field until it started drying out. They don't give as much dry grip as some but last brilliantly and would def recommend them provided your not paying retail price.

jack250 likes this.
  7. Jamie/Dale - huge thanks for the tips on the camera!! I knew it'd be something I could sort with settings, hopefully my next vids will be better :smile:

8. Looking at corner G the car now sustains 1.1g at Snetterton compared to 1g before.

Impossible to say this was down to the alignment as it was 32 degrees Celsius compared to about 4 degrees.

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

What tyres was that on?

Good figures for something on stock, non fancy suspension with camber

10. It's running AD08R's around 30/32 psi front, 32/34 back.

I'm not getting 1.1g under braking, was considering some uprated pads but will persevere with the standard ones as they're £100 a set. So far, so good with the discs fingers crossed :smile:

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Just goes to show that if driven properly with decent fluid, The brakes are more than capable unlike people on here will lead you to believe LOL

12. Lol yes agreed about the census here!

I've tried saying it but people have money to burn lol!

It's fluid... first track day I did with the car it had its original 2011 tyres, brakes and brake fluid... after stopping or cooling for a while first press of pedal was sssooooo long and nothing happened!

Since getting new fluid it's been great:smile:

Can you explain how it gives the long pedal?

It's been explained to me before and somewhere in the empty space between my ears there's something, but nothing I can explain!

13. The brake fluid literally over heats and boils! This produces air in the fluid which will compress and lead to the long pedal!!

Has happened to me a couple of times once a Subaru at the end of the start/finish straight on my first ever Trackday [emoji33]and leading up to Paddock at Brands in the Meg!

Subaru due to knackered caliper and the meg old fluid.

I have been told brake fluid does go off so worth changing it more regularly if you are doing a lot of trackdays!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

git-r likes this.
  14. Thanks for explaining! Yup that's what I was thinking.. makes sense..

15. Fluid doesn't actually go off, but as it's hygroscopic loves to attract water and with bit of heat makes for easy long pedal plus we live in v dam country so 8 months change not bad thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

git-r and Mattyt like this.
  16. Ageed [emoji106] change on my race car every 6 months. Also try a higher DOT rating can help!

git-r likes this.
  17. Thanks for the explanations chaps, at least once I've forgotten I'll be able to look back here for reference

18. Just had a great day at Snetterton on Sat then a not so great day at Brands.

As you can see the car is quite a handful:

Loved it.
    That was my mate in his chav wagon, he's had it tuned since I last shared a vid and it's much quicker. Still he can't get turn in oversteer, he thinkg the electronics still take over a bit despite having all traction off. It''ll only go sideways on corner exit unless hugely provoked. The polar opposite of Morag lol!

Brands was a bit crap today. The car was going well and making some serious grip when it dried partially.
    Traffic was horrendous, trying to overtake was just like driving on the road. It's like they know you're going quicker and won't hold them up but they just don't want to let you pass..

And I got black flagged for drifting. I wasn't driving like in the vid above, jus had one moment that wasn't intentional. It did look great when they showed me the footage on their surveillance screens at least.

Mattyt and Sam@NP like this.
  19. Thanks for sharing, every time i see one of your vids it makes me change my mind on getting a Mk3, the ass end is so wayward, i think i will stick with the Mk2.

That Dagenham dust bin still ain't that quick around the corners or under braking, i stand really good chance now, was told mine was running about 230 hp, its a bit more now, roll on Silverstone (is he going ??? the chav :laughing:)

git-r likes this.
  20. Looked slippery as hell, fun but also a handful lol

I don't suppose you had a play with a light blue classic mini did you, at Snetterton?

git-r likes this.
  21. Some seriously good car control skills there Mr Git !!!

git-r likes this.
  22. Lovely car control!

git-r likes this.
  23. Great stuff! Not the fastest way round the track but great car control! I get lift off oversteer going down Paddock Hill in the wet!! That is a bit more seat of your pants as I have seen cars roll doing the into the gravel!!!

git-r likes this.
  24. Many thanks for replies chaps!

Got to say I'm really enjoying my time with Morag, can't believe they made a car as good for track stuff:hearteyes:

25. Ian - I thought you liked vindaloo?:wink: not much difference between the two, esp now yours will have the same engine!
    The chav wagon won't be in attendance and neither will I :worried:

Chri5 - I remember a mini, no play unfortunately. Saw it on the way back and gave them a flash.
    Not sure it was blue though?

Mattyt - yup I know what you mean - that's what I got flagged for.

26. Yes i do like vindaloo to eat but the front end of a car should point forward and yes we now have the same engine but mine is better and faster :laughing: and now faster than the prat mobile (well its close to a Capri (ford))
    When will i see you again, that could be a good title for a song :sunglasses:

git-r likes this.
  27. Lol nice one Ian, soon no doubt :sunglasses:

One mistake and black flag :worried:

28. It looked like this! He was there at Snetterton Saturday also :smile:

Attached Files:

git-r likes this.
  29. Epic car control ! kudos

git-r likes this.
  30. Nice - yup that's the one :smile:

Chri5 likes this.
  31. Shame you didn't get to have a play with it! Vtec baby :grinning: but you wouldn't think it with the classic looks :wink:

32. I'll have a look back through the footage - there's so much I may have missed it but would probably remember if I'd had a play.

33. NJH

NJH

Have you tried dropping your rear tyre pressures a bit, or increasing the fronts slightly? I reckon you may find the car a touch more neutral on corner entry.

git-r and nickfrog like this.
  34. Indeed although I'm not sure git wants to neutralise it. I suspect he was even purposely taking shallow lines to provoke it. Can't blame him !

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    git-r likes this.
  35. lol yeah as Nick says I'm really happy with how it handles, getting good tyre wear and really good grip. TBH the alignment hasn't really changed the way the car handles, it was the same when running stock alignment.

Annoyingly I wore the pads out at Brands and have lightly scored the front discs. Think they'll be fine though.
    It seems to be getting about 3 track days out of a set of the Renault pads, this will be my third set in since August but not complaining at £100 for a full set :smile:

The Yokohama AD08'R's have the sort of wear around the shoulders you'd expect but have done 5 track days. Lot's of tread left and they are really durable. Even after 10 or 15 mins of use the grip is the same. They haven't seemed to have deteriorated grip wise either.

Going to get the tyres rotated so will have nice fresh outer shoulders and the pads swapped.

Then give it a good polish and hopefully get a couple of thankfully small chips fixed in the windscreen.

Was thinking about getting a stage 1 type tune but the last couple of wet track days kind of made me forget about that, it's nice to know it's always there if necessary :smile:

Should be good for another Brands on the 24th Feb :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

NJH likes this.
  36. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Really does make me happy seeing you enjoying the car as they came, granted with a bit more front end grip now with the camber, I always find it funny that people buy then then bin, the capable OEM setup, for some expensive adjustable kit that wont be used to its full potential or compromises it too much for the road.

git-r and nickfrog like this.
  37. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Seeing as there is an abundance of sideways Megane in this thread LOL

nickfrog and git-r like this.
  38. Show me adjustable coilovers and I'll show you 100 ways of fucking up the handling.

git-r likes this.
  39. I'll probably go with more camber too eventually but will probably stay at -1deg 30"

git-r likes this.
  40. Good to hear :smile:

Agreed, as Nick says putting some decent race type suspension on doesn't mean it'll make it better but does usually mean it's horrible on the road, my geriatric Datsun is like this. It runs an AST kit that reatails at over 3.5k and I have no idea how to use it, it's bloody quick but was actually quicker on its older suspension according to my lap times.

Sprinting always makes me laugh. The last sprint I did the old bus was wearing MPS3's, stock engine g'box yet still went quicker than R35 GTR's with alleged 1000bhp and r888r's and won its class. Same with the lap times it does, club class time attack cars on better tyres, less weight, more power go slower than my full weight relatively standard 26 year old R32 GTR.