Nankang ns-2r(180) vs Federal 595 RS-R HELP

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by nahalcko, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Hello,
    I need your opinion. I have the option of getting these for a very good price. The first ones are Nankang ns-2r , but in Medium compound (180TW) and the second one is Federal 595 RS-R. Both in 225/40/18. I wanted to get the nankangs in soft but they dont have them and wont have them for a long time. So do I get the medium or go with the 595's. Ive read reviews on the nankangs, but people mainly get them in soft and are pretty happy with them for the price. I will be using the car for daily driving (short trips) and track days. Any opinion is welcome and will be more than happy if you help me deside.
    Thank You!
    Nicky

2. I have 595s on mine. Very impressed with them even in the not ideal weather conditions we've had over the last month.

3. You'll get the same answer off most on here. Pilot super sport. Supposed to be as good if not better than the nankang on track and miles better in the road

4. Maxsport rb5 is another one to consider

5. I know the Pilots are good tires but the price here in Bulgaria is almost 50% more than the two Ive mentioned

6. I use the medium NS2R on my 265, I like them, a little skittery in the wet when the temperature is low but fine when warm. Most track focused tyres are a little skittish in the wet anyway, for the money I'd definitely have another set.

7. I ran RS-R's on my MX-5 track car, and for the money they're really good.

8. Go for the 595s then

9. Thank you all. I think I will go for the 595s. Here In the summer weather is mostly sunny with few rainy days, so I think ill be ok with them.

10. You'll be surprised how good they are on a damp wet day

11. Happy to hear this, because many people just keep telling me to stay away from this type of tires. But I have a feeling that they will transform the car totally. Compared to the junk summer tires I have now - Dunlop sp01 245/40/18 (previous owner put them on)

12. I have them on my 172 cup. They're interesting in the cold/wet... Standing water is exciting to say the least. Great in the dry when up to temp though.

13. That type of tyre will be ok in the wet , just respect the fact that their not ment to be driven hard in the wet and don't like deep standing water, so slow down when it's raining, I took someone out in my old R26 on a wet day and he was shitting himself whilst I leathered it down some country lanes, hard to get heat into them in the rain.

14. Agreed. A damp track isn't too bad, but after a sudden downpour at a flat circuit like Bedford and you'll find yourself really struggling for traction. I'd still buy them again though as they're great once they're warm.

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Or not, Remoulds, Horrible by all accounts and do not stand up to hard abuse.

Ive ran both the RS-R's and NS-2R's in both compounds on mine.

Outright grip i would probably say the Soft NS-2R's just took it but not by much and that should be expected with the compound. Med ones are very very similar to the RS-Rs but personally i find the Federals much better in the wet.

Wear on the Nankangs isn't that great though, I killed my set of softs in around 2k of road miles and the mediums were dead in about 4k plus one full TD at Snetterton in the summer. The RS-R's last much, much longer. Think i got about 10k out one set including 3 TD's. I did kill one set on the front in one day on track mind you but it was 25 degrees plus and my pressures were off a bit so that didn't help.

16. Can you also suggest cold pressures for city driving and for track driving. I know its about driving style but a starting point

17. I know lots of people running maxsports with no issues be it drifting time attack or for the road

I've used them myself very good tyre for the money

18. I run mine on NS-2R for track. They're sat in the garage at the min. I did goodwood last year on them, 100 track miles plus about 2-3k road miles. Wear is minimal, hardly worn at all in fact. They'll go back on again come summer. I rate them, cheaper than the RSR hence why I got them. Good grip in dry, a bit tetchy in the wet. Noisy too.

Mine are soft compound.

19. I think much of it depends on driving style too regarding tyre wear. Camber and caster should be taken into consideration also. Another thing worth bearing in mind is that a tyre that works great on one car won't necessarily be so good on another car.